best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

Old October 29th 06, 10:25 PM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
63Avanti

Default best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

background:
I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing
ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio.
(not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type
that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more. (Most of this help in
the 60's came from that Hams, thus I am including them in this
question)

Now for the "new" question.
What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
(with modern electronic distributor) R2?

Old October 29th 06, 11:11 PM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 29 Oct 2006 14:25:38 -0800, "63Avanti" > wrote:

>best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE
>
>background:
>I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
>getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
>deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
>elsewhere. Thanks for the help.
>
>My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing
>ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio.
>(not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type
>that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more. (Most of this help in
>the 60's came from that Hams, thus I am including them in this
>question)
>
>Now for the "new" question.
>What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
>(with modern electronic distributor) R2?

Most all new cars use anti-rf plugs and cables.. Just get a set of
quality resistor plugs and resistor wires.
Old October 30th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

63Avanti wrote:

> I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
> getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
> deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
> elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

> In the sixties, I was always changing ignition cables attempting to
> minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio. (not really a problem since
> the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type that worked ok, but I
> cannot find it any more. (

> What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
> (with modern electronic distributor) R2?

There are only 2 types of RF supression wi resistive and inductive.
The latter is often referred to as "magnetic" and is widely available,
but it doesn't seem to work any better than the resistive type. A
significant amount of igniton noise comes from the connection between
the plug and the plug wire, and grounded metal shields over the boots
can help here. There are wire kits with these boots, mostly for German
cars, or they can be made with metal tubing slipped snugly over the
metal bases of the plugs.

Old October 30th 06, 02:53 AM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Matt Ion

63Avanti wrote:
> best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE
>
> background:
> I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
> getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
> deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
> elsewhere. Thanks for the help.
>
> My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing
> ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio.
> (not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type
> that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more. (Most of this help in
> the 60's came from that Hams, thus I am including them in this
> question)
>
> Now for the "new" question.
> What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
> (with modern electronic distributor) R2?

Are you sure, first of all, that it's ignition noise you're experiencing, and
not alternator whine, or EMI from another source? Or is this just all
precautionary?

First thing I'd recommend, IF there's noise, is confirming the source of it,
before putting the time and effort into addressing one possible source.

Old October 30th 06, 03:11 AM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Mike

Yep...as Matt says.........

I've got a so, so AM-FM radio with "inexpensive" plug wires.

The ignition is quite...but the alternator whines a bit. I know for a
fact it's the alternator because it's one of the one wire types that
comes in at about 1600 rpm when cold. So a first start at low
rpm...no chargeing....the radio is noise free. As soon as the
alternator comes in....whiiinnne.....

Mike

Old October 30th 06, 03:44 AM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
N8N

Matt Ion wrote:
> 63Avanti wrote:
> > best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE
> >
> > background:
> > I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
> > getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
> > deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
> > elsewhere. Thanks for the help.
> >
> > My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing
> > ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio.
> > (not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type
> > that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more. (Most of this help in
> > the 60's came from that Hams, thus I am including them in this
> > question)
> >
> > Now for the "new" question.
> > What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
> > (with modern electronic distributor) R2?

> Are you sure, first of all, that it's ignition noise you're experiencing, and
> not alternator whine, or EMI from another source? Or is this just all
> precautionary?
>
> First thing I'd recommend, IF there's noise, is confirming the source of it,
> before putting the time and effort into addressing one possible source.

Just to clarify, he's talking about an Avanti here; having an
all-fiberglass body, suppressing ANY source of noise is of utmost
importance.

nate

Old October 30th 06, 04:59 AM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Robert Kubichek

N8N wrote:
> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>>63Avanti wrote:
>>
>>>best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE
>>>
>>>background:
>>>I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
>>>getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
>>>deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
>>>elsewhere. Thanks for the help.
>>>
>>>My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing
>>>ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio.
>>>(not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type
>>>that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more. (Most of this help in
>>>the 60's came from that Hams, thus I am including them in this
>>>question)
>>>
>>>Now for the "new" question.
>>>What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
>>>(with modern electronic distributor) R2?

>>Are you sure, first of all, that it's ignition noise you're experiencing, and
>>not alternator whine, or EMI from another source? Or is this just all
>>precautionary?
>>
>>First thing I'd recommend, IF there's noise, is confirming the source of it,
>>before putting the time and effort into addressing one possible source.

> Just to clarify, he's talking about an Avanti here; having an
> all-fiberglass body, suppressing ANY source of noise is of utmost
> importance.
>
> nate

And it could be noise from a DC motor (fans for air/radiator). It could come a
variety of sources. I would narrow it down, and it shouldn't be too
hard to do either....

Bob
Old October 30th 06, 12:29 PM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
SilverStude

63Avanti wrote:
> best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE
>
> background:
> I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
> getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
> deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
> elsewhere. Thanks for the help.
>
> My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing
> ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio.
> (not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type
> that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more. (Most of this help in
> the 60's came from that Hams, thus I am including them in this
> question)
>
> Now for the "new" question.
> What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
> (with modern electronic distributor) R2?

Generally, to cut down the static noise (RFI) on older cars, you would
find condensers on the alternator, distributor, wiper motor, and on
the radio itself. There was also ignition shielding and resistor wires
and plugs. The values on the condensers are all different, so swapping
them may cause problems rather than being a remedy. I've never seen any
on a heater or A/C fan motor, but it's also a source of RFI. Even
sliding your butt on the seat covers will create a charge. You remember
those little flexible tails that used to be attached to the chassis and
drag on the ground?.
Old October 30th 06, 02:18 PM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Paul Johnson

Why even worry? My '64 R-2 was so noisy that I couldn't hear the FM
anyhow<G>.
Paul Johnson

Old October 30th 06, 02:30 PM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,alt.autos.corvette
63Avanti

now this is interesting,
I remember fabricating for my neighbor's '62 Ford a metal can with
braided shielded wires to cover his distributor and cables out to the
plugs. I no longer knew when he drove out of his driveway by watching
the patterns on my TV (UHF).

Now for the question.
Any one know if these boots, if self-fabricated, are essentially a
CYLINDER, grounded by contact with the engine block?