switched 12 volts

Old March 15th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default switched 12 volts

I'm installing an HEI in my 67 Coupe and would like to know the best
place to find a switched 12 volt source.
Thanks
Old March 15th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

JF > wrote:

> I'm installing an HEI in my 67 Coupe and would like to know the best
> place to find a switched 12 volt source.
> Thanks

Find the ignition coil ballast resistor. One side of it would go to the
ign switch, the other connected to starter solenoid/relay and coil.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old March 15th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

No ballast resistor in a 67. Just the pink resistance wire from the
ignition switch. I just cut it at the back of the switch and ran my
wire to the HEI, now i have the 12v.
JF

Old March 15th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

JF > wrote:

> No ballast resistor in a 67. Just the pink resistance wire from the
> ignition switch. I just cut it at the back of the switch and ran my
> wire to the HEI, now i have the 12v.

Well?

I guess one MIGHT, in a WILD stretch of the Imagination, call that a
BALLAST resistor, huh?

Sheesh! It's NOT what it LOOKS like, it's what it DOES!

Anyway, good on ya for solving it.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old March 16th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:58:33 -0700, JF > wrote:

>I'm installing an HEI in my 67 Coupe and would like to know the best
>place to find a switched 12 volt source.
>Thanks

fuse block works for me...
--

Spike
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;
Old March 16th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Believe it or not, but i put a meter on a few of the fuses and they all
dropped off when the key was turned to start. Even the big post on the
back of the ignition switch dropped off.
JF

Old March 16th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I didn't mean it the way it sounded about the ballast resistor. I know
what you were saying. Resistor wire/ballast resistor all do the same
thing. Strange thing is, when i got the car, there was a ballast
resistor on the right inner fenderwell. Not hooked to anything, but it
was there??
JF

Old March 16th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:05:14 -0700, JF > wrote:

>Believe it or not, but i put a meter on a few of the fuses and they all
>dropped off when the key was turned to start. Even the big post on the
>back of the ignition switch dropped off.
>JF

Did you try each end of each fuse? I ran into a similar situation with
my 65. It actually made a difference (though I have no idea why).
And I was able to track down what I needed for both constant and
switched.

Old March 18th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Nope, never thought of that. But i will keep that in mind for future
reference.
JF

Old March 20th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article <RI3Sf.115746$kp3.68621@fed1read03>, JF > wrote:
>Believe it or not, but i put a meter on a few of the fuses and they all
>dropped off when the key was turned to start. Even the big post on the
>back of the ignition switch dropped off.
>JF

Physics. The internal resistance of the battery coupled with the
high amperage required to turn the engine over will cause a voltage
drop. ...or are you talking about just turning the switch to the
'run' position and you get the voltage drop?

If you're turning the engine over, there's just no way to avoid a
voltage drop and the voltage you read could be as low as 6 volts.
Of course, the wire in the wiring harness has a certain ohms/ft
resistance that could also affect your reading, but it wouldn't be
significant unless you were reading the voltage right off the back
of the starter itself.