Temp gauge reads cold - 1994 Accord

Old August 12th 05, 10:59 PM
acellier acellier is offline
Junior Member

Default Temp gauge reads cold - 1994 Accord

1994 Accord EX
Car starts and runs OK, but mileage is a bit low. I think the O2 sensor may be shot - barely passed smog last couple times. But new issue:
My temp gauge rarely rises above the bottom peg.
Checked the TW sensor with an ohmeter and IR gun. The resistance appears very close to the published curve for Standard TS172:
degF/ohms: 66/6700, 93/2000, 120/1000, 180/420.
Temp gauge is not off the bottom peg at 180 degF; if driven awhile it can get hotter and gauge makes a slight movement.
Test: Shorting the sensor wire to ground pegs the meter (300 mA). Substituting a 67 ohm resistor, the gauge reads about 1/3 scale (below the center mark; 112 mA). With a 150 ohm resistor (60 mA) the meter barely moves.
Seems as if the meter, or the metering circuit, may be faulty rather than the temp sensor.
Anyone have experience with this type of failure? Could bad temp circuit affect smog?
... acellier
Old August 13th 05, 02:57 AM
Sid Schweiger

>> My temp gauge rarely rises above the bottom peg. Checked the TW sensor
with an ohmeter and IR gun. The resistance appears very close to the
published curve for Standard TS172: degF/ohms: 66/6700, 93/2000, 120/1000,
180/420. Temp gauge is not off the bottom peg at 180 degF; if driven awhile
it can get hotter and gauge makes a slight movement. Test: Shorting the
sensor wire to ground pegs the meter (300 mA). Substituting a 67 ohm
resistor, the gauge reads about 1/3 scale (below
> the center mark; 112 mA). With a 150 ohm resistor (60 mA) the meter barely

moves. Seems as if the meter, or the metering circuit, may be faulty rather
than the temp sensor. Anyone have experience with this type of failure?
Could bad temp circuit affect smog?<<

Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open, thus not permitting the engine to
warm up.

Old August 13th 05, 03:13 AM
jim beam

acellier wrote:
> 1994 Accord EX
> Car starts and runs OK, but mileage is a bit low. I think the O2 sensor
> may be shot - barely passed smog last couple times. But new issue:
> My temp gauge rarely rises above the bottom peg.
> Checked the TW sensor with an ohmeter and IR gun. The resistance
> appears very close to the published curve for Standard TS172:
> degF/ohms: 66/6700, 93/2000, 120/1000, 180/420.
> Temp gauge is not off the bottom peg at 180 degF; if driven awhile it
> can get hotter and gauge makes a slight movement.
> Test: Shorting the sensor wire to ground pegs the meter (300 mA).
> Substituting a 67 ohm resistor, the gauge reads about 1/3 scale (below
> the center mark; 112 mA). With a 150 ohm resistor (60 mA) the meter
> barely moves.
> Seems as if the meter, or the metering circuit, may be faulty rather
> than the temp sensor.

the gauge is very non-linear - stops people worrying about minute
variations.

> Anyone have experience with this type of failure? Could bad temp
> circuit affect smog?

bad thermostats affect smog. big time. sounds like yours is stuck
open. replace with oem, & don't forget the rubber gasket - they tend to
deteriorate too.

91 Accord temp gauge rye guy Honda 3 July 26th 05 06:27 AM
Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 01:43 PM
Oil pressure gauge sticking on start-up in cold weather? Azfreeflyer Ford Explorer 6 December 27th 04 03:22 PM
Temp Gauge reads high. Al Reed Corvette 1 August 11th 04 03:05 PM
Audi 100 quattro temp gauge probs Paul Wickham Audi 1 May 31st 04 04:39 PM