A Very Light Car

Old March 26th 13, 04:21 PM posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,comp.cad.solidworks,rec.autos.tech
Existential Angst[_2_]

Default A Very Light Car

"whoyakidding's ghost" > wrote in message
> [...]

>>Lotus 6. 1952. Nice aluminum work, too.

> Both LOOK nice. No competition for the Volt though.
>
> I have to chuckle at all these impractical and or pie in the sky
> vehicles, most of them 2 seaters that are being touted as lighter than
> a Volt, which is a 4 seat series hybrid hatchback with serious utility
> that one can actually buy here in the present reality. AKA reality.
> Duh. We might as well add this as well
> http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/12/2...-drive-review/
> Apples to oranges, and lots of unobtainium and impractical layouts.
> How many years was the Aptera touted as being the next new thing? 2
> seats, 3 wheels, licensed as a motorcycle and could haul about as much
> cargo as a bike. Yet it still ended up at nearly a ton and its main
> claim to fame was being on magazine covers and burning up investment
> cash. Both the projected weight and the price kept creeping up with
> every new revelation until bankruptcy. Never did prove that it was
> safe enough to compete in the market as a real car. Of course the
> backers said it absolutely could. The very same people who kept
> claiming perennially that it was soon to be available, and that they
> could sell a vehicle with $20k of EV components for $20k. At some
> point it appears they were going to 4 wheels and 4 seats, which I bet
> they figured out was the only route to mass market and funding.
>
> The VW XL1 is headed down a similar road. 2 seats, small interior
> volume, expensive materials, and bound to be hundreds heavier the
> closer it gets to market, which it is now another year overdue for
> even the projected handful of samples. So long as anything can
> maintain its vaporware status its promoters might as well say it only
> weights 1000 pounds, can go 1000 miles, and costs $1000.
>
> Meanwhile, here in reality, I had a nice sunny drive in the Volt
> yesterday afternoon. About 35 miles to destination, came up about a
> mile short on the battery. But only because the last 4 miles climbed
> 1100'. On the return trip the engine only ran briefly on the downhill
> section. All the rest was regen or battery. Then went another 3 miles
> on the level before the engine started again. Sweet tech. In engine
> mode it still goes nearly as far past a corner on battery as it spent
> decelerating and braking. I fill up so seldom that last time I briefly
> forgot which side the tank was on. I'm surprised how many people
> recognize the car and want to talk about it. I even got a thumbs up
> from a usually morose construction flagman the other day. I'm more
> satisfied with the Volt than I've been with any of my new vehicles for
> quite a while, which is something considering I swore I'd never buy
> another domestic model. And I'm not alone.
> http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/29/c...er-satisfacti/
> http://gas2.org/2011/11/21/jay-leno-...nets-2365-mpg/
>
> Yeah I could be finding fault with the Volt and pining for a flying
> car or whatever instead, but then I'd be taking work from backseat

Dude, get a fukn life, ferchrissakes.

Funny, Ed H's 6 word reply (and jb's op) had about 10x the value of your
addle-brained verbiage -- shades of Entropy, eh?
Here, ponder this for, oh, the next 10 years.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy
Or better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy...rmation_theory)

The latter explains, ultimately, why talking to you is about as informative
as flipping a fair coin. lol

Oh, Jay moon-chin Leno loves his volt.... Oh, yeah, and dat flagman's
thumbsup....
OK, now, run along and giz yerself on one of yer Volt's tires....
--
EA

Old March 26th 13, 04:32 PM posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
whoyakidding's ghost

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:21:29 -0400, "Existential Angst"
> wrote:

>"whoyakidding's ghost" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Yeah I could be finding fault with the Volt and pining for a flying
>> car or whatever instead, but then I'd be taking work from backseat
>> drivers. ****, not even backseat drivers, full time chair drivers like
>> Bonkers.

>Dude, get a fukn life, ferchrissakes.
>
>Funny, Ed H's 6 word reply (and jb's op) had about 10x the value of your
>addle-brained verbiage -- shades of Entropy, eh?
>Here, ponder this for, oh, the next 10 years.....
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy
>Or better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy...rmation_theory)
>
>The latter explains, ultimately, why talking to you is about as informative
>as flipping a fair coin. lol
>
>Oh, Jay moon-chin Leno loves his volt.... Oh, yeah, and dat flagman's
>thumbsup....
>OK, now, run along and giz yerself on one of yer Volt's tires....

Whereizn yer sermin on the munt splainin how tu bild flywait EVs? Izin
dere a rehab for rantoholics dat cant cum up wit reality based
argamints?