CV Halfshaft color codes?

Old February 16th 05, 12:03 AM

Default CV Halfshaft color codes?

Hello all: I want to replace the passenger side CV Halfshaft of my 91
Civic Hatchback (3Dr Std). It already has been replaced once before (a
few years ago) with a remanufactured axle by the dealer. When I went to
Autozone web site for replacement CV halfshafts (remanufactured), it
asks for a color code (1 yellow stripe or 1 green tag or 1 pink stripe
or 3 red stripes?)on the current axle. Unfortunately the replacement
axle does not have any. My driver side axle is still OEM, and has a
yellow stripe around it. Can I assume the same for my right-side axle
too? Had I known Honda uses resistor type color coding for driveshafts,
I would have made a mental note of these color bands each time I crept
under the car to change oil! I did not realize there were so many
halfshaft varieties....Std/DX/LX/CRX????).
Any help would be appreciated.......
Thanks,
Mathu.

Old February 20th 05, 05:46 AM
WaterWatcher

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all: I want to replace the passenger side CV Halfshaft of my 91
> Civic Hatchback (3Dr Std). It already has been replaced once before (a
> few years ago) with a remanufactured axle by the dealer. When I went to
> Autozone web site for replacement CV halfshafts (remanufactured), it
> asks for a color code (1 yellow stripe or 1 green tag or 1 pink stripe
> or 3 red stripes?)on the current axle. Unfortunately the replacement
> axle does not have any. My driver side axle is still OEM, and has a
> yellow stripe around it. Can I assume the same for my right-side axle
> too? Had I known Honda uses resistor type color coding for driveshafts,
> I would have made a mental note of these color bands each time I crept
> under the car to change oil! I did not realize there were so many
> halfshaft varieties....Std/DX/LX/CRX????).
> Any help would be appreciated.......
> Thanks,
> Mathu.

Any reputable car parts store counter person should be able to sell you the
correct shaft. I just did both on my '90 and there was no need for the
stripe color. Call a few stores and talk to a few people, you'll see.
Forget the web sites, they are frequently impossible to decipher. I got ARI
brand axles and I DON'T recommend them!

WW

Old March 5th 05, 07:04 PM

Thanks WW: In fact, when I went for replacement axles, the parts person
checked the number of outer splines and selected the proper axle. All
these color codes actually refer to just two versions of CV half shafts
(although none of the remanufactured axles seem to have the
dampers....maybe removed during remanufacturing process?). Bought
Autozone's in-house brand of CV-half shafts. So far, so good. No
problems for the last few weeks.........