Honda key blanks....

Old December 16th 04, 05:33 PM
Andy Mai

In article <DtWvd.80251$6f6.1321@edtnps89>,
Brian Smith > wrote:

>"ajpdla" > wrote in message
>> Where can I obtain a key blank (with the black rubber handle -- don't know
>> the technical name) for my 1995 Honda Passport. Some site online wants

>like
>> $80.00 to do an original key. Yeah, right!!!

>At a Honda Dealership.

Cost is about $10.00 US for an OEM-replica key blank. Take it to a good
(i.e., bonded and certified) locksmith to get the key cut. That will
cost about another $4.00 for each key. Don't take the blank to a UPS
store or the corner hardware store. Those guys probably don't have
the skills to cut keys correctly. Incorrect cutting could destroy
your locks/ignition switch.

Andy
Old December 17th 04, 01:51 AM
Howard

"ajpdla" > wrote in message
"Where can I obtain a key blank (with the black rubber handle -- don't know
the technical name) for my 1995 Honda Passport."
Your 1995 Passport DOES NOT use an electronic transponder key. Any dealer
(Honda or Isuzu) should be able to cut you a key for under $10. Your Honda
dealer can do it by VIN number if you don't have a spare.

"I believe you can also get a new programmed key with the VIN from Honda."
You can not program a transponder key with a VIN number, but you can get a
code to cut the key with a VIN.

"I do believe that there may be some sort of serial number on the computer
module that may be of use in getting another key blank."
No, not correct.

"Your selling dealer keeps the radio code. It is associated with the VIN in
case service has to be done, or so you can get it from them if you need it,"
Only the smart dealers do that. There is no requirement for that, other than
making life easier for themselves when working on your car, or providing a
customer service.

"In 1995, Honda wasn't using immobilizer style ignition keys in the
Odyssey,"
Correct!

Howard

Old December 17th 04, 04:11 AM
ajpdla

"Brian Smith" > wrote in message

> "ajpdla" > wrote in message
>>
>> Thank you for the obvious answer.
>>
>> My nearest Honda dealership is about 150 miles away, round trip. I was
>> hoping for something a little more "local", like the Internet, .

> You said you didn't like the price on the Internet (that's how I read what
> you typed). Going to the dealership here was considerably less than the
> price you mentioned, that's why I suggested a dealership. I wasn't trying
> come off as being sarcastic.
>
> Brian

I know that. I apologize. It would be amazing if we could read each
other's minds and know that right off. This thread actually morphed off
into a discussion about "special" digital keys or whatever. The $80.00
price I posted was not for these types of keys. It was for this particular
outfit making an original of a key, one that I already have. In fact, I
have two. I don't even NEED another key for this rig. I WANT one. One
with the hard plastic at the top of it.

I didn't really say anything about a digital key; yet the thread morphed
into this. Ah, well.

Aaron

Old December 17th 04, 04:12 AM
ajpdla

"Andy Mai" > wrote in message
> In article <DtWvd.80251$6f6.1321@edtnps89>,
> Brian Smith > wrote:
>>
>>"ajpdla" > wrote in message
>>> Where can I obtain a key blank (with the black rubber handle -- don't
>>> know
>>> the technical name) for my 1995 Honda Passport. Some site online wants

>>like
>>> $80.00 to do an original key. Yeah, right!!!

>>At a Honda Dealership.

> Cost is about $10.00 US for an OEM-replica key blank. Take it to a good
> (i.e., bonded and certified) locksmith to get the key cut. That will
> cost about another $4.00 for each key. Don't take the blank to a UPS
> store or the corner hardware store. Those guys probably don't have
> the skills to cut keys correctly. Incorrect cutting could destroy
> your locks/ignition switch.
>
> Andy

Which is why I wanted a blank. I have access to a key cutter; but I don't
have the blank I want to cut in it.

Aaron

Old December 17th 04, 11:31 AM
Brian Smith

"ajpdla" > wrote in message

> I know that. I apologize. It would be amazing if we could read each
> other's minds and know that right off. This thread actually morphed off
> into a discussion about "special" digital keys or whatever. The $80.00
> price I posted was not for these types of keys. It was for this

particular
> outfit making an original of a key, one that I already have. In fact, I
> have two. I don't even NEED another key for this rig. I WANT one. One
> with the hard plastic at the top of it.
>
> I didn't really say anything about a digital key; yet the thread morphed
> into this. Ah, well.

Threads tend to take course changes all the time.

Old December 17th 04, 03:27 PM
Michael Pardee

"ajpdla" > wrote in message
> This thread actually morphed off into a discussion about "special" digital
> keys or whatever. The $80.00 price I posted was not for these types of
> keys. It was for this particular outfit making an original of a key, one
> that I already have. In fact, I have two. I don't even NEED another key
> for this rig. I WANT one. One with the hard plastic at the top of it.
>
> I didn't really say anything about a digital key; yet the thread morphed
> into this. Ah, well.
>
> Aaron

I take the blame for that. I saw the thing about the plastic head and jumped
to the conclusion it was a transponder head instead of a comfort grip. D'oh!

Mike

Old December 17th 04, 06:18 PM

In rec.autos.makers.honda Howard > wrote:
> "Your selling dealer keeps the radio code. It is associated with the VIN in
> case service has to be done, or so you can get it from them if you need it,"

> Only the smart dealers do that. There is no requirement for that, other than
> making life easier for themselves when working on your car, or providing a
> customer service.

I guess it must have been mentioned to me during the post sales, or I
imagined it to be standard because of a "find answer" on the Honda web site.

"If your Honda vehicle came equipped with an Anti-Theft radio, you should
have an Anti-Theft Radio Access Card in your glove compartment. This card
contains the access code and the serial number of the radio. If you do not
have a card, contact your dealer for assistance."

If the dealer didn't keep the code, he should feel silly when you ask for
the code, based on this page.

There is also a Honda Owners link that has my radio code. I don't recall
if I entered the code there. It's different from the number that I have on
a card attached to my original key. Maybe that one is a key code, and I've
already managed to lose my radio code card.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=honda

--
---

Old December 18th 04, 12:02 AM

In rec.autos.makers.honda Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:
> "Ask your dealer for assistance" simply means he can pull the radio, get
> the radio's serial number, and get the radio security code from that.

Ouch. That'd be pricey. If they have to actually pull the radio out of
the dash, I would imagine that is at least a one hour flat rate job.
Maybe not. I put an adapter onto the radio to connect my MP3 player. That
required maybe 1/2 hour, and I didn't pull the radio out, just exposed it.

> He doesn't keep the radio code at all. Only individual salesmen who
> choose to do so will write it down as a service to their customers. But
> with the rate of churn in the industry, that's rare. In fact, if you

My "internet salesman" was gone before my first return visit. And he was
new when I bought the car.

> think about the rate of churn with dealership names changing left and
> right, you'd see how ridiculous it is to expect that the place you
> bought your car from is even in business a year later.

Names? I guess so. The dealer's seem to stay put, but the conglomerates
are snapping them up in my area. Several "Lithia" dealerships, but the
local Honda dealer has been a Buick/GMC dealership of the same name since
some time in the 60's.
The Ford dealer just changed names a few months ago, but they have pictures
on the walls of Fords in the same building in the 40's.

> Your VIN has nothing to do with your radio security code. Only your
> radio serial number has any relationship to your security code.

I think the VIN is a handy way to look up what _was_ there. That would
probably be fine for 90% of the owners, and avoid pulling the radio.

--
---

Old December 18th 04, 01:59 AM
L Alpert

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <pZ6wd.200253$V41.8439@attbi_s52>,
> "L Alpert" > wrote:
>
>> I believe you can also get a new programmed key with the VIN from
>> Honda.

> I've not heard that. I doubt it; for example, they can't give you the
> radio security code with just the VIN. That requires the radio serial
> number.
>
> I do believe that there may be some sort of serial number on the
> computer module that may be of use in getting another key blank. I do
> know that you can also replace the computer module, at great expense,
> and that will start you fresh with new keys and code. If you've had
> your keys stolen along with some sort of identifying papers, such that
> the thief could get to your van, people have replaced the computer
> module so that the stolen keys don't work.

The VIN is the serial number for the car, which should give them the correct
information. I replaced a key for my Cherokee at the Chrysler dealer in
this way. They have the transponder codes on file and can be programmed at
the dealer without another key based on the VIN.
I would have to think that if Chrysler can do it, Honda should also have
similar capabilities.

Old December 18th 04, 07:53 PM
ajpdla

"Michael Pardee" > wrote in message
> "ajpdla" > wrote in message
>> This thread actually morphed off into a discussion about "special"
>> digital keys or whatever. The $80.00 price I posted was not for these
>> types of keys. It was for this particular outfit making an original of a
>> key, one that I already have. In fact, I have two. I don't even NEED
>> another key for this rig. I WANT one. One with the hard plastic at the
>> top of it.
>>
>> I didn't really say anything about a digital key; yet the thread morphed
>> into this. Ah, well.
>>
>> Aaron
>>

> I take the blame for that. I saw the thing about the plastic head and
> jumped to the conclusion it was a transponder head instead of a comfort
> grip. D'oh!
>
> Mike

We all got goot discussion out of it just the same.

Aaron