1995 Honda Passport -- Low Fuel Light Constantly On

Old November 23rd 04, 01:59 AM
Chip Stein

> > In my 1985 Celica the sender unit had a seperate contact that
> > closed when the fuel in the tank got low enough. I suspect the
> > 1995 Passport uses a similar setup. If this is the situation, then
> > the fuel tank will have to be removed and the defective switch
> > repair/replaced. It is posible, thoguh unlikely that Honda
> > could have used an electronic voltage sensor to trip the light
> > when the fuel gauge reads below some set point. Given the
> > greater complexity, ie expense, I suspect that Honda went
> > with the same basic sensor that my Celica used.

it's the same unit as the fuel level unit. the tanks aren't bad to
drop. having a brass punch to remove the retaining ring is another
thing.
it's an odd animal since it is an isuzu rodeo.
Chip
Old November 24th 04, 02:59 AM
Charlie S

I own a 1995 Honda Passport, so I looked in a '95 Passport wiring
diagram.

It shows two fuel level sensors, one for the fuel guage and the other
operates the low fuel light.

I would guess the the low fuel sensor is sticking.

All the fuel sensors that I have seen are mechanical....A float rubs
on a coil of resistance wire

I never let my fuel level get below a quarter full so my low fuel
light has never come on. I wonder if mine would stick if I let it get
low enough.

Old November 24th 04, 02:59 AM
Charlie S

Old November 24th 04, 10:06 PM
oldman

My wife drives our Rodeo to work, for the most part, and she is in the habit
of letting it go until the fuel gauge is almost resting on E before getting
gas, yet the fuel low indicator light never comes on. On the other hand,
the fuel gauge sometimes seems a bit erratic and will not show full even
though I have topped off the tank, especially during cold weather. Perhaps
one of these days my wife will let the tank get a bit too empty and we'll
find out it the low end of the gauge is any more accurate than the high end.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails; play dead

Old November 24th 04, 10:06 PM
oldman