1995 Honda Passport -- Low Fuel Light Constantly On

Old November 20th 04, 06:54 PM
ajpdla

Great. Now the damned thing is thinking for itself.

Old November 20th 04, 09:36 PM
Michael Pardee

"ajpdla" > wrote in message
> Great. Now the damned thing is thinking for itself.

Worse than that, it intercepted your email and is coming after you. I am
safe because of this foil hat I'm wearing.

Mike

Old November 20th 04, 09:36 PM
Michael Pardee

Old November 21st 04, 12:11 AM
Chip Stein

"ajpdla" > wrote in message >...
> What would cause my low fuel light to remain on, even after filling the
> tank?
>
> TIA

replace the fuel sending unit.
Chip
Old November 21st 04, 12:11 AM
Chip Stein

Old November 21st 04, 01:00 AM
Terry

"ajpdla" > wrote in message >...
> What would cause my low fuel light to remain on, even after filling the
> tank?
>
> TIA

In my 1985 Celica the sender unit had a seperate contact that
closed when the fuel in the tank got low enough. I suspect the
1995 Passport uses a similar setup. If this is the situation, then
the fuel tank will have to be removed and the defective switch
repair/replaced. It is posible, thoguh unlikely that Honda
could have used an electronic voltage sensor to trip the light
when the fuel gauge reads below some set point. Given the
greater complexity, ie expense, I suspect that Honda went
with the same basic sensor that my Celica used.
A diagram of the electronics should show how the light works.
Removing a fuel tank is not hard, be sure to syphon out as much
fuel as you can, a 12 gallon tank full of fuel is, awkward!
IT is not for the faint of heart. Disconnect the battery!
And when I work on the fuel system, I get my wife to stay
close by with Halon. IF it was me, I would almost certainly
ignore the problem.
Good luck.
Old November 21st 04, 01:00 AM
Terry

Old November 21st 04, 05:22 PM
ajpdla

Yeah. I'm thinking about removing the bulb, at this point.

Old November 21st 04, 05:22 PM
ajpdla

Old November 23rd 04, 01:59 AM
Chip Stein

> > In my 1985 Celica the sender unit had a seperate contact that
> > closed when the fuel in the tank got low enough. I suspect the
> > 1995 Passport uses a similar setup. If this is the situation, then
> > the fuel tank will have to be removed and the defective switch
> > repair/replaced. It is posible, thoguh unlikely that Honda
> > could have used an electronic voltage sensor to trip the light
> > when the fuel gauge reads below some set point. Given the
> > greater complexity, ie expense, I suspect that Honda went
> > with the same basic sensor that my Celica used.

it's the same unit as the fuel level unit. the tanks aren't bad to
drop. having a brass punch to remove the retaining ring is another
thing.
it's an odd animal since it is an isuzu rodeo.
Chip