rFactor: Multiple Monitors?

Old September 14th 05, 03:37 PM

Default rFactor: Multiple Monitors?

Can multiple monitors be used without resorting to multiple
computers/networking? It's friggin' 2005, and I'm tired of driving
around looking at the same tunnel-view we had 15 years ago in World
Circuit (GP1). I really want three monitors for a front view and two
side views.

Old September 14th 05, 04:09 PM

> Can multiple monitors be used without resorting to multiple
> computers/networking? It's friggin' 2005, and I'm tired of driving
> around looking at the same tunnel-view we had 15 years ago in World
> Circuit (GP1). I really want three monitors for a front view and two
> side views.

I know that the Matrox Parhelia 3-monitor card has been used with
F1C(or one of the earlier versions) for this. It's such a dog of a
card I doubt it would even run rFactor.
There's special stuff you can do with GPL and 2 slave machines to do
this. I've also seen videos of GPL running on the Matrox card. I'd
say your best bet would be a projector setup with a custom
resolution/FOV.
It may be 2005, but that doesn't mean enough people have the $$$ for 3
flat panels to be worth the vidcard makers' engineering costs.

Kendt

Old September 14th 05, 04:52 PM

I don't have any flat panels. I use a 19" CRT, and have two 15"ers
sitting around collecting dust. People are giving those away these
days.

I'm thinking more along the lines of using two cards, one connected to
the 19" like normal, then adding a two-head PCI card to connect to the
other two monitors.

Now, MS Flight Simulator allow you to open multiple window for
different views. People have done exactly what I'm talking about by
spreading the desktop over the three monitors, and then placing a
different window view on each monitor. That seems pretty simple and
cheap, but it would require multiple viewports in rFactor, or support
for a really wide screen resolution that would wrap across all three
screens (actually I'm not sure that's possible for accelerated
graphics).

Anyway, it sure would be nice...