need hardware advice..

Old September 6th 05, 07:37 AM
Cris Eichler

Default need hardware advice..

Hi,

ok, even though this means re-activating XP afterwards, i finally decided to
look for a new graphic card. So lret's say i have about 200 Euros as my
absolute spending limit, which card should i go for? Most important to me is
performance in sims, of course :-)

TIA

cheers!

/ce

Old September 6th 05, 08:09 AM
shegeek72

Cris Eichler wrote:

> ok, even though this means re-activating XP afterwards, i finally decided to
> look for a new graphic card. So lret's say i have about 200 Euros as my
> absolute spending limit, which card should i go for? Most important to me is
> performance in sims, of course :-)

My advice would be to search the internet for the best card at the best
price, either ATI or nVidia. That's how I got my ATI 9800 pro.

Does swapping a vid card require one to re-activate Win XP? I thought
it took more hardware changes than that.

SG
--
"Politics gives guys so much power that they tend to behave badly
around women. And I hope I never get into that." - Bill Clinton

Old September 6th 05, 09:21 AM
Praxiteles Democritus

On 6 Sep 2005 00:09:51 -0700, "shegeek72" > wrote:

>Does swapping a vid card require one to re-activate Win XP? I thought
>it took more hardware changes than that.
>
>SG

It does take more than just swapping a video card. I've never been
flagged for swapping a video card, or even a cpu and ram for that
matter.

To the OP, for $159.00 you can get yourself a eVGA E-GEFORCE 6600GT
128M DDR3 AGP8X VGA DVI HD OUT VIDEO CARD.

Old September 6th 05, 04:56 PM
Shrapnel

I once put a hard disc from a P3-800Mhz into a Twin P4 Xeon with
different... Well... Everything.

XP just plugged and played and did not ask for re-activation.

tbh, I was not aware such a feature was in XP at all, and being in the
industry I might have heard.

Jon.

Old September 6th 05, 07:56 PM
Andi Cole

Oh, yes it does exist, I built a PC with RAID 0 then decided to change to
RAID 1, Windows failed to reactivate and I had to phone MS. All that
happened was that I entered the key and a 'robot' read back an unlock code.
Never spoke to a real person and no sign of being quizzed as to ownership of
Windows.

Andi.

Old September 6th 05, 08:14 PM
Bob

For that price (or maybe a touch more), I really like my 6800GT. ATI
has a comparable card (X800XL).

Old September 6th 05, 08:37 PM
Goy Larsen

Shrapnel wrote:

> I once put a hard disc from a P3-800Mhz into a Twin P4 Xeon with
> different... Well... Everything.
>
> XP just plugged and played and did not ask for re-activation.
>
> tbh, I was not aware such a feature was in XP at all, and being in the
> industry I might have heard.

Like Andi said, it's there, my guess is that you're using a "volume
license" and those doesn't require activation at all for very good
reasons, but it's there in the OEM, Retail and Upgrade packages

Beers and cheers
(uncle) Goy

"When two or more people are gathered together in my name,
they shall perform the Parrot Sketch..."

--Our Lord John Cleese--
Old September 7th 05, 06:19 PM
Larry

You probably won't have to re-activate.

I recently upgraded (there's an understatement) my Home Server and changed
the following:

1. Replaced System Board and Processor.
2. Removed 7 old hard drives of varying sizes.
3. Installed a 3Ware 9500S-8 Hardware RAID Card (SATA).
4. Installed 6 new (one as a hot spare) Seagate 300GB Barracuda's set up as
a 1.5 Terabyte RAID-5.
5. Installed new 120GB Seagate Barracuda PATA Boot/OS drive.

Reinstalled Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, and activated. It didn't
complain one bit.

If I can get away with that, you should be able to get away with a graphics
card replacement

-Larry

Old September 7th 05, 07:30 PM
Larry

It's also in certian other packages that are non-corporate, yet non-consumer
as well.

MSDN, Action Pack, etc...

-Larry

Old September 7th 05, 07:49 PM
Praxiteles Democritus

On 6 Sep 2005 12:14:35 -0700, "Bob" > wrote:

>For that price (or maybe a touch more), I really like my 6800GT. ATI
>has a comparable card (X800XL).

Both those cards cost more than 200 euros I believe. They are about
$300.00 USD which is 241.666 EUR. But I agree, he should fork out the
extra money and go for either 6800GT or X800XL.

'nother hardware question N8N Technology 0 July 10th 05 03:07 PM
REQ: Help and or advice brake lines - speficically front to rear line.... [email protected] Jeep 2 March 15th 05 03:19 PM
advice on plymouth horizon Dodge 0 February 10th 05 03:12 AM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM