EXPLORER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

Old October 8th 12, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default EXPLORER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

بتاريخ الثلاثاء، 9 فبراير، 1999 UTC+4 12:00:00 م، كتب Scott Rench:
> I have a '94 Explorer XLT 4x4 with an automatic transmission (I think this
> may be referred as A4LD??). In the mornings (or when engine is cold) I can
> back out of the garage fine. When I shift to Drive (generally use the
> Overdrive selection - but same results will happen in D, 2 & 1 selections)
> the car acts as though it is stuck in Neutral. I do not hear any clunks or
> grinds whatsoever. Just nothing. I have found that I need to sometimes
> turn the car off, restart and select Drive (or Overdrive) as the first gear
> then I can proceed. Sometimes with the selector on Overdrive or Drive, if I
> 'rev' the engine a little, it will sometimes 'kick' into gear.
>
> OK, now I'm moving. However, I don't quite feel that I have the full use of
> drive (i.e. I'm not going as fast for the amount my foot is on the gas
> pedal). Then I stop at the end of the street. If I wait more than two
> seconds, I'm suddenly back to a neutral state again even though the gear
> selector has never moved from overdrive. This will continue until the
> engine has been running for about 2-3 minutes - then I can stop and start
> the engine all I want over the next few hours and have no problems.
>
> I did go to a Oil Lube place had the transmission fluid sucked out, new
> fluid added and the problem went away for about a month.
>
> Then the problem came back. I went to a transmission place and had a tech
> drive the car. He referred to my problem as 'Morning Sickness'. The engine
> was warm when I brought it to him and the problem of course did not happen
> for him, he did take it for a test drive and shifted the gears many times..
> He stated that the shifting was working flawlessly and nothing was shifting
> late. He instructed me to leave his place (as that the management would
> somehow convince me I needed an overhaul on the spot - thanks to good honest
> mechanics) and go have the pan dropped, tranmission filter changed, put on a
> new gasket and put in new fluid. I did just that. Once again, the problem
> was gone for 4-6 weeks, but now is back.
>
> Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? I have about 86k miles. Do I
> have a simple fixable problem, or a major overhaul? If it is the overhaul -
> what should that run me? Should I do the overhaul or trade it in?
>
> Thanks for the help.

Hi, i have the same problem with my mitsubishi galant 1995 model automatic transmission, only it happens when the engine is still cold, when it runs for more than 15 minutes everything is fine, most of the time only when I turn the wheel to right or left before I turn back the wheel it will back to neutral for about 3-5 seconds. The problem starts when I'm trying to repair my carburetor.
I hope somebody knows what is the exact solution for this problem it's very rare .