1995 Jeep Cherokee brake question

Old May 16th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 1995 Jeep Cherokee brake question

I have a question concerning the rear brake shoe configuration on a 1995
Jeep Cherokee.-

Can anyone provide information on where the shoe with the shorter friction
surface should be installed (toward the front or rear).

In my experience the shorter shoe is always installed towards the front when
the shoes are of differing sizes, but I am getting conflicting information
from another Jeep owner that this is not the case with the Cherokee and the
shorter shoe must be installed towards the back.

I would appreciate any feedback on this matter as one of us is wrong (and
has their brakes on backwards :-)

Thanks in advance
Sam

Old May 16th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You are correct.

The longer secondary shoe holds the parking brake hardware.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 16th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Short shoe to the front.

Spdloader

Old May 16th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If you think about this for a long time, you might convince yourself that
there is a reason for it. I tried, but I just didn't get it. I did notice
that when people put them on backwards, the short shoe wears out way too
fast.

Earle

Old May 16th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks for the quick response.

One more quick question- do you or anyone else know of a website where I can
confirm this info? The other owner is hard headed as hell and will not
accept the fact that the shorter primary shoe goes to the front.

His response to the fact that the primary shoe is in the front-

"Oh, I see what you're thinking You somehow have the notion that the primary
is always in front??? I get it now. The primary isn't always in front. It
can be in back, it's just where the primary actuating springs are."

Thanks again.

Sam

Old May 16th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I did brakes and such for a long time professionally. I looked it up in my
Wagner book to confirm, just incase I'm getting foggy.
1995 Jeep Cherokee rear brake shoes, short shoe to the front, long shoe in
the rear.

This is a rule of thumb with Cherokees, there are exceptions with some
vehicles.

Your best bet is to do your vehicle correctly, and let the idiot foul his
up.

Keep your rear brakes properly adjusted.

Spdloader

Old May 16th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

There is a clear diagram in the Haynes Manual that labels the shoes and
shows the shorter lining on the front or primary shoe.

I could take a digital photo of the page and email it to you if you
would like.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 16th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> There is a clear diagram in the Haynes Manual that labels the shoes and
> shows the shorter lining on the front or primary shoe.
>
> I could take a digital photo of the page and email it to you if you
> would like.

Thanks for checking the manual Mike.
I appreciate the offer for the pic but there's no need to go through all the
trouble.

I think he would just accuse me of photoshopping the picture :-)

Sam

Old May 16th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The Haynes manual is a half decent book to have around, if only for
things like that and the torque specs. It is in the twenty dollar
range. Most auto parts stores sell them.

If you had the book which shows photos of the shoes as well as the
diagram, that would fix his wagon.

Meanwhile I was bored so I got a couple blurry shots from the book and
posted them on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4

They are soo blurry there is no way you could be accused of
photoshopping them. LOL!

Mike

Old May 16th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Well, I had some fun with my camera, but finally managed to post a
couple clear shots of the XJ brake parts.

Mike