Top Speed of an 06 6 cylinder Manual Mustang

Old July 28th 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default Top Speed of an 06 6 cylinder Manual Mustang

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 23:06:23 -0700, columbotrek
> wrote:

>John S. wrote:
>> On Jul 21, 12:16 pm, "C. E. White" >
>> wrote:
>>> I am interested in an estimate of the top speed of the following
>>> version of a 2006 Mustang Coupe with the 4.0L V6 and a manual
>>> transmission. Assume the base model -
>>>
>>> 1) As delivered. I assume Ford included a speed limit in the PCM
>>> 2) With a chip that removes the speed limit
>>> 3) With a chip, free flowing duals (cat back), and a K&N intake.
>>>
>>> Would this last combo actually be able to exceed 120 mph?
>>>
>>> Ed

>> As delivered from Ford the V6 is limited to 113 MPH... You don't put a
>> "chip" in this car. You will need to buy a handheld tuner and reflash
>> the car. Most of these will either remove the limiter or allow you to
>> raid the limit. The car should easily be able to hit 120 MPH...
>>
>> Besides making sure you have the properly rated tires, I would also be
>> leery of the stock drive shaft... they are pretty much junk... They
>> vibrate like crazy.... also I don't remember exactly when Ford
>> switched but the early drive shafts did NOT use C-clips to hold the u-
>> joints in... instead they were staked in... but eventually the stakes
>> would give way any the drive shafts would come apart... which is very
>> bad thing to happen at 120 MPH... luckily the ones I know of were all
>> on the dyno... but still caused a fair amount of damage...
>>
>> Even if you drive shaft is clipped I would still recommend an after
>> market drive shaft if you plan on doing a lot of high speed
>> driving.... I couldn't keep a rear pinion seal in my car until i
>> replaced mine...
>>

>Interesting comments. Is the drive shaft on the GT the same as on the
>V6? I have had my S197 GT upwards of 130 on a couple occasions and not
>a hint of any vibration at all.

I had my 99 gt up to a bit over 120 and didn't notice any vibration
but it seemed to be nearly topped out for the road I was on, not sure
how much grade there was, it was pretty flat but few roads out here
are really flat. It's an automatic.
Old July 29th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Repairman[_3_]

Big snip

My '07 GT is stable at 130 but the hood vibrating in certain wind conditions
sucks.
Needs a set of hood pins to nail down the edges. It's a wind catcher with
it's overhang and the plastic hood lifts at the edges.
First car I've had that hood pins would be functional instead of cosmetic.
Not happy with it at all.
No issues under 100 mph.