New 1976 Owner with Limited Skills

Old December 7th 07, 04:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
1976VetteGuy

Default New 1976 Owner with Limited Skills

On Dec 6, 10:20 pm, Elbert > wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:26:06 -0800 (PST), 1976VetteGuy
>

> > wrote:
> >On Dec 6, 6:58 pm, Elbert > wrote:
> >> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 17:19:24 -0800 (PST), 1976VetteGuy

> >> The GM shop manual is the only manual I've ever found that worth
> >> buying. The others skip to much material or leave key steps and areas
> >> "unexplained"..
> >> -----------
> >> Elbert

> >Where can I get the GM shop manual?

> http://www.helminc.com
>
> They are relatively expensive but it you have a car you plan to keep
> and would like to learn about the car or do the work yourself. The GM
> shop manuals are the best. A 76 corvette would be for the most part
> basic stuff, but everyone has to start somewhere. A GM shop manual
> is a good investment. You might hunt around E-Bay too. I would not
> waste my money on a CHILTON or Haynes unless that's the only thing
> you can get.
> -----------
> Elbert

Thanks...would this be what I need?

"1976 Passenger Car Shop Manual Set"

Old December 7th 07, 04:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Elbert

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 07:04:45 -0800 (PST), 1976VetteGuy
> wrote:

>On Dec 6, 10:20 pm, Elbert > wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:26:06 -0800 (PST), 1976VetteGuy
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >Where can I get the GM shop manual?

>> http://www.helminc.com
>>
>> They are relatively expensive but it you have a car you plan to keep
>> and would like to learn about the car or do the work yourself. The GM
>> shop manuals are the best. A 76 corvette would be for the most part
>> basic stuff, but everyone has to start somewhere. A GM shop manual
>> is a good investment. You might hunt around E-Bay too. I would not
>> waste my money on a CHILTON or Haynes unless that's the only thing
>> you can get.
>> -----------
>> Elbert

>Thanks...would this be what I need?
>
>"1976 Passenger Car Shop Manual Set"

it would appear so. Thats what I see when I go to the site
and run the lookup. I've bought some manauals from them in the past
but they were for newer model vehicles.

I would get the GM shop manual from Helms, and it might be worth you
while to do some searches on Ebay for corvetter specific GM shop
manauals.

The GM shop manual would certainly be very helpful. They are not hard
to use and are very well written and illustrated fairly well. Take it
from me, some of the other manuals are just plain garbage.

I believe you can subscribe to Alldata and maybe other sources
for shop manuals "on-line" but that might get a little expensive for a
@home mechanic.

Any GM vehicle I own or want to know more about in regard
to repairs....the GM shop manual is the best source for information.
-----------
Elbert

Old December 7th 07, 05:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

1976VetteGuy wrote:
> On Dec 6, 10:20 pm, Elbert > wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:26:06 -0800 (PST), 1976VetteGuy
>>

>> > wrote:
>>> Where can I get the GM shop manual?

>> http://www.helminc.com
>>
>> They are relatively expensive but it you have a car you plan to keep
>> and would like to learn about the car or do the work yourself. The GM
>> shop manuals are the best. A 76 corvette would be for the most part
>> basic stuff, but everyone has to start somewhere. A GM shop manual
>> is a good investment. You might hunt around E-Bay too. I would not
>> waste my money on a CHILTON or Haynes unless that's the only thing
>> you can get.
>> -----------
>> Elbert

> Thanks...would this be what I need?
>
> "1976 Passenger Car Shop Manual Set"

Yes. P/N ST32976K $ 75 from Helm (probably a
Xerox copy of the original.) Includes several
other Chevrolet models.

I'd not throw stones at adding a Chilton or
Haynes to your library shelf after you get the
factory manual. Sometimes those books will have
a shortcut that may be helpful to someone who
hasn't been through formal factory training or
isn't too experienced. Sometimes Haynes will
have a procedure that avoids use of a special tool.

Example: On the C4, the factory manual
procedure for removing the fuel pump is an
involved project. The Haynes manual makes the
job easier and quicker.

--
pj
Old December 7th 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
WayneC

http://www.ncrs.org/store/shop.cgi/p...97050020.23908
(look about halfway down the page)
Old December 7th 07, 10:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
1976VetteGuy

On Dec 7, 11:56 am, WayneC > wrote:
> http://www.ncrs.org/store/shop.cgi/p...SID=1197050020...
> (look about halfway down the page)

Are you talking about this thing?

"1966-82 Corvette Shop Manual"

If so...I bought it and it sucks...
Old December 8th 07, 04:20 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
WayneC

1976VetteGuy wrote:
> On Dec 7, 11:56 am, WayneC > wrote:
>> http://www.ncrs.org/store/shop.cgi/p...SID=1197050020...
>> (look about halfway down the page)

> Are you talking about this thing?
>
> "1966-82 Corvette Shop Manual"
>
> If so...I bought it and it sucks...

Then buy the GM chassis service manuals (but the '74 base manual is out
of print,
so you'll need to find a used one).
http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/nort/625a5689.shtml
http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=16721582&aid=frg
http://www.rarenonfiction.com/?page=...category_id=60

You are probably not going to find one perfect book that covers everything
you'll ever want to know, specific to only your year.

I don't have the one that claims to have excerpts from the GM manuals that
cover "full maintenance, repair, troubleshooting and tune-up information"
It sounds good... so help educate the rest of us: why/how does it suck?
Old December 8th 07, 11:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
1976VetteGuy

On Dec 7, 11:56 am, WayneC > wrote:
> http://www.ncrs.org/store/shop.cgi/p...SID=1197050020...
> (look about halfway down the page)

OK...so I've figured out that the hoses running into the heater core
aren't hot when the engine is at temp. So there's a flow issue
somewhere. I also noticed that the hose running from the engine
block, I believe, goes into the A/C box and is attached by a vacuum
actuator valve that appears to have the vacuum line cut. Is it
typical to have this valve in the line, and if so, where can I trace
to where the hose should go to supply the vacuum? Will this cause the
flow problem to the system? Last question...what causes the actuation
to happen to the valve in the water loop?
Old December 11th 07, 09:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
1976VetteGuy

On Nov 27, 4:39 am, WayneC > wrote:
> Here's some diagrams that might help you understand what's in your car:
> http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/AC-VAC2.PDF
>
> Look at the diagram at the bottom center of the page and note the
> unlabeled device at the top of the picture... that's a metal diverter valve
> that sits in the engine compartment and has heater hoses connected to it.
> The heater hoses are attached to the nipples shown at the top and right
> coming out of that valve, the small hose shown as white in the diagram is a
> vacuum hose that actuates the diverter valve to send hot water through
> to the
> heater core under the dash when you turn on the heater, or to bypass the
> heater core and send the hot water back to the engine.
>
> note: This particular picture shows a system without a/c, but I believe
> that same
> valve is present on cars that DO have a/c as well, but they just don't
> show it
> on the a/c diagram (upper left on the page), they only show the airflow
> door actuators.
> I don't have a C3, so I can't verify that.
>
> That valve can stick or become disconnected from the vacuum hose, or
> there could
> be a leak in the vacuum system that prevents sufficient vacuum from
> reaching the valve.
> It is a common point of failure. The valve is not particularly expensive
> to replace.
>
> It could be checked by applying vacuum directly to the valve to see if
> the heater
> then works (you should be able to feel that the water hose from the
> diverter
> to the heater is cool before vacuum is applied, then heats up with
> vacuum applied).
> You may need a vacuum pump to test with, or you can "borrow" vacuum from
> another vacuum source on the engine by "Tee"ing into that good vacuum
> source.
> (Simply sucking on the hose orally is not likely to produce sufficient
> vacuum.)
>
> You could also disconnect the two water hoses from the diverter valve
> and clamp
> them to opposite ends of one short section of copper tubing (5/8" I
> believe) to bypass
> the valve for the winter, then reattach them to the diverter valve in
> the spring.
>
> Good luck.

To all that helped me out I thank you...

So from reading past posts, I am going to install the manual valves on
the hoses as I think the vacuum control valve might be stuck in the
closed position or something as I am not getting any flow to the
heater core.

One last question to everyone about this...do I need to drain the
coolant level down to close off these valves in the summer? Also,
when they are shut off, how can I make sure the heater core is not
going to rust while it is not being used? In other words, do I drain
it somehow when I close off the manual valves? Or does the water just
stay in there all summer?

Thanks again!!!
Old December 11th 07, 09:43 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"1976VetteGuy" > wrote in message
> To all that helped me out I thank you...
>
> So from reading past posts, I am going to install the
> manual valves on
> the hoses as I think the vacuum control valve might be
> stuck in the
> closed position or something as I am not getting any flow
> to the
> heater core.
>
> One last question to everyone about this...do I need to
> drain the
> coolant level down to close off these valves in the
> summer? Also,
> when they are shut off, how can I make sure the heater
> core is not
> going to rust while it is not being used? In other words,
> do I drain
> it somehow when I close off the manual valves? Or does
> the water just
> stay in there all summer?
>
> Thanks again!!!

you should get the flow going to the heater core first.
then don't drain the core.
just simply open the valves from time to time to circulate
the coolant through the heater core.

g'day
--
'Key
=====

Old December 12th 07, 08:32 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
WayneC

1976VetteGuy wrote:

> So from reading past posts, I am going to install the manual valves on
> the hoses as I think the vacuum control valve might be stuck in the
> closed position or something as I am not getting any flow to the
> heater core.
>
> One last question to everyone about this...do I need to drain the
> coolant level down to close off these valves in the summer? Also,
> when they are shut off, how can I make sure the heater core is not
> going to rust while it is not being used? In other words, do I drain
> it somehow when I close off the manual valves? Or does the water just
> stay in there all summer?
>
> Thanks again!!!

Did you price a vacuum valve? I think they are pretty reasonably priced.
Why be fiddling with a valve under the hood when you don't have to?
The heater core is made of aluminum (or possibly copper)... assuming that
you keep a 50/50 mixture of water and quality anti-freeze in your cooling
system and drain/refill every 3 to 5 years, with no leakage in the system
in between refills, then no "rusting" or other deterioration should occur
(it's just like leaving Pepsi in the can), so no need to drain the
heater core.