Hertz GT-H

Old February 3rd 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

Default Hertz GT-H

Automatic? Really?

Jean and I are looking ahead to vacation and we're thinking about San
Francisco and the Pacific Coast Highway. (This could be the start of a
series of Great Roads vacations... Yeah, baby!)

I've only just started my research, but thought I might take advantage of
this opportunity to try the Hertz Mustang. (We rented the new V6 convertible
in Phoenix last year.) As long as we're doing the Highway, the GT-H sounded
like the choice. But automatic?

I've also heard that the GT-H may be wasted on the Pacific Highway, that it
may be a too-well-travelled road in late May, early June, and that a wannabe
photographer like me would be better off in a convertible.

San Francisco would be our starting point, and we haven't yet planned
whether to head north (to the redwoods) or south (to Monterrey). Anyone out
there from this area, or who has taken this trip, I'd welcome any advice or
points of interest. We'll be driving the coast, but will be taking frequent
breaks and mini-hikes. Photo ops for me, historical interest and occasional
shopping for her...

With a predicted HIGH of 16 degrees tomorrow, I thought I'd best start
thinking about my summer vacation.

dwight
www.tfrog93.com

Old February 3rd 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

"dwight" > wrote in
:

> Automatic? Really?

Yup. So anyone can drive them.

> Jean and I are looking ahead to vacation and we're thinking about San
> Francisco and the Pacific Coast Highway. (This could be the start of a
> series of Great Roads vacations... Yeah, baby!)
>
> I've only just started my research, but thought I might take advantage
> of this opportunity to try the Hertz Mustang. (We rented the new V6
> convertible in Phoenix last year.) As long as we're doing the Highway,
> the GT-H sounded like the choice. But automatic?

It's a rental.

> I've also heard that the GT-H may be wasted on the Pacific Highway,
> that it may be a too-well-travelled road in late May, early June, and
> that a wannabe photographer like me would be better off in a
> convertible.

Just keep your eyes on the road if you're driving.

> San Francisco would be our starting point, and we haven't yet planned
> whether to head north (to the redwoods) or south (to Monterrey).
> Anyone out there from this area, or who has taken this trip, I'd
> welcome any advice or points of interest. We'll be driving the coast,
> but will be taking frequent breaks and mini-hikes. Photo ops for me,
> historical interest and occasional shopping for her...
>
> With a predicted HIGH of 16 degrees tomorrow, I thought I'd best start
> thinking about my summer vacation.
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog93.com

You might consider a winter vacation. Yesterday's high temperature was
84 here. A/C was crankin' away...
Old February 3rd 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Rick Olive

dwight wrote:
> Automatic? Really?
>
> Jean and I are looking ahead to vacation and we're thinking about San
> Francisco and the Pacific Coast Highway. (This could be the start of a
> series of Great Roads vacations... Yeah, baby!)
>
> I've only just started my research, but thought I might take advantage of
> this opportunity to try the Hertz Mustang. (We rented the new V6 convertible
> in Phoenix last year.) As long as we're doing the Highway, the GT-H sounded
> like the choice. But automatic?
>
> I've also heard that the GT-H may be wasted on the Pacific Highway, that it
> may be a too-well-travelled road in late May, early June, and that a wannabe
> photographer like me would be better off in a convertible.
>
> San Francisco would be our starting point, and we haven't yet planned
> whether to head north (to the redwoods) or south (to Monterrey). Anyone out
> there from this area, or who has taken this trip, I'd welcome any advice or
> points of interest. We'll be driving the coast, but will be taking frequent
> breaks and mini-hikes. Photo ops for me, historical interest and occasional
> shopping for her...
>
> With a predicted HIGH of 16 degrees tomorrow, I thought I'd best start
> thinking about my summer vacation.
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog93.com

May/June on Highway 1 will probably be foggy. We live about 80 miles
inland and have made the drive a lot in the Cobra vert (trunk is just
big enough for a small tent and supplies for 2-3 days. Just right for
all the nice little campgrounds up and down the coast.) Better time of
the year weather-wise would be April or again in Sept/Oct.

Don't plan on being able to enjoy the drive on any weekend. Between the
RV's and kamikaze bicycles you're gonna be wearing a great big frown by
the end of the day. Tuesday-Thursday are better.

When you make the trip be sure to dine at Nepenthe and visit Hearst
Castle. Satisfaction guaranteed!

Of course you could always go north from SF. The scenery is great, the
crowds are smaller and if you want to take a side trip go deep-sea or
salmon fishing. Great attractions here include Jenner, Bodega Bay, Fort
Ross, etc.

Have fun!
Old February 3rd 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Rick Olive" > wrote in message
. ..
> dwight wrote:
>> Automatic? Really?
>>
>> Jean and I are looking ahead to vacation and we're thinking about San
>> Francisco and the Pacific Coast Highway. (This could be the start of a
>> series of Great Roads vacations... Yeah, baby!)
>>
>> I've only just started my research, but thought I might take advantage of
>> this opportunity to try the Hertz Mustang. (We rented the new V6
>> convertible in Phoenix last year.) As long as we're doing the Highway,
>> the GT-H sounded like the choice. But automatic?
>>
>> I've also heard that the GT-H may be wasted on the Pacific Highway, that
>> it may be a too-well-travelled road in late May, early June, and that a
>> wannabe photographer like me would be better off in a convertible.
>>
>> San Francisco would be our starting point, and we haven't yet planned
>> whether to head north (to the redwoods) or south (to Monterrey). Anyone
>> out there from this area, or who has taken this trip, I'd welcome any
>> advice or points of interest. We'll be driving the coast, but will be
>> taking frequent breaks and mini-hikes. Photo ops for me, historical
>> interest and occasional shopping for her...
>>
>> With a predicted HIGH of 16 degrees tomorrow, I thought I'd best start
>> thinking about my summer vacation.
>>
>> dwight
>> www.tfrog93.com
>>

> May/June on Highway 1 will probably be foggy. We live about 80 miles
> inland and have made the drive a lot in the Cobra vert (trunk is just big
> enough for a small tent and supplies for 2-3 days. Just right for all the
> nice little campgrounds up and down the coast.) Better time of the year
> weather-wise would be April or again in Sept/Oct.
>
> Don't plan on being able to enjoy the drive on any weekend. Between the
> RV's and kamikaze bicycles you're gonna be wearing a great big frown by
> the end of the day. Tuesday-Thursday are better.
>
> When you make the trip be sure to dine at Nepenthe and visit Hearst
> Castle. Satisfaction guaranteed!
>
> Of course you could always go north from SF. The scenery is great, the
> crowds are smaller and if you want to take a side trip go deep-sea or
> salmon fishing. Great attractions here include Jenner, Bodega Bay, Fort
> Ross, etc.
>
> Have fun!

Thanks for the pointers, Rick. Obviously, we haven't even begun to form an
itinerary, so everything's up in the air. I did find one site that is very
helpful:
http://www.terragalleria.com/california/index.html
and I'm beginning to think that one week ain't gonna cut it.

Hearst Castle is a MUST for Jean, I think. Big Sur looks fantastic. But,
DAMN, there's a lot of ground to cover. Nepenthe looks interesting - how's
the steak?

We would probably fly out Saturday or Sunday and lay over in San Francisco
for a night or two. The driving would be during the week, so that'll work
out. And I never mind a good fog!

Looking at that website, I'm going to have to buy another new lens.

dwight

Old February 3rd 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Joe" > wrote in message
> "dwight" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Automatic? Really?

> Yup. So anyone can drive them.
>
>> Jean and I are looking ahead to vacation and we're thinking about San
>> Francisco and the Pacific Coast Highway. (This could be the start of a
>> series of Great Roads vacations... Yeah, baby!)
>>
>> I've only just started my research, but thought I might take advantage
>> of this opportunity to try the Hertz Mustang. (We rented the new V6
>> convertible in Phoenix last year.) As long as we're doing the Highway,
>> the GT-H sounded like the choice. But automatic?

> It's a rental.
>
>> I've also heard that the GT-H may be wasted on the Pacific Highway,
>> that it may be a too-well-travelled road in late May, early June, and
>> that a wannabe photographer like me would be better off in a
>> convertible.

> Just keep your eyes on the road if you're driving.
>
>> San Francisco would be our starting point, and we haven't yet planned
>> whether to head north (to the redwoods) or south (to Monterrey).
>> Anyone out there from this area, or who has taken this trip, I'd
>> welcome any advice or points of interest. We'll be driving the coast,
>> but will be taking frequent breaks and mini-hikes. Photo ops for me,
>> historical interest and occasional shopping for her...
>>
>> With a predicted HIGH of 16 degrees tomorrow, I thought I'd best start
>> thinking about my summer vacation.
>>
>> dwight
>> www.tfrog93.com

> You might consider a winter vacation. Yesterday's high temperature was
> 84 here. A/C was crankin' away...

Hah! I've already driven I95 through Florida. Wasn't all that scenic. And
remember, Jean is a woman of a certain age and doesn't care for hot weather
at ANY time of the year.

)

Old February 3rd 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Rick Olive

dwight wrote:
> [...]

>>Ross, etc.
>>
>>Have fun!

> Thanks for the pointers, Rick. Obviously, we haven't even begun to form an
> itinerary, so everything's up in the air. I did find one site that is very
> helpful:
> http://www.terragalleria.com/california/index.html
> and I'm beginning to think that one week ain't gonna cut it.
>
> Hearst Castle is a MUST for Jean, I think. Big Sur looks fantastic. But,
> DAMN, there's a lot of ground to cover. Nepenthe looks interesting - how's
> the steak?
>
> We would probably fly out Saturday or Sunday and lay over in San Francisco
> for a night or two. The driving would be during the week, so that'll work
> out. And I never mind a good fog!
>
> Looking at that website, I'm going to have to buy another new lens.

The steak rocks. Depending when you're out there might be something
happening at either Laguna Seca or up north at Infineon in Sonoma. It's
always good to get some track action :->
Old February 3rd 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Rick Olive" > wrote in message
. ..
> dwight wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the pointers, Rick. Obviously, we haven't even begun to form
>> an itinerary, so everything's up in the air. I did find one site that is
>> very helpful:
>> http://www.terragalleria.com/california/index.html
>> and I'm beginning to think that one week ain't gonna cut it.
>>
>> Hearst Castle is a MUST for Jean, I think. Big Sur looks fantastic. But,
>> DAMN, there's a lot of ground to cover. Nepenthe looks interesting -
>> how's the steak?
>>
>> We would probably fly out Saturday or Sunday and lay over in San
>> Francisco for a night or two. The driving would be during the week, so
>> that'll work out. And I never mind a good fog!
>>
>> Looking at that website, I'm going to have to buy another new lens.
>>
>> dwight
>>

> The steak rocks. Depending when you're out there might be something
> happening at either Laguna Seca or up north at Infineon in Sonoma. It's
> always good to get some track action :->

I have to make reservations now for that steak. As for track action...

My wife obliges my hobbies. To a point. Ain't no stinkin' way in hell she's
going to a track during a one-week vacation to California.

)

Old February 3rd 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

dwight wrote:
> Automatic? Really?
>
> Jean and I are looking ahead to vacation and we're thinking about San
> Francisco and the Pacific Coast Highway. (This could be the start of a
> series of Great Roads vacations... Yeah, baby!)

I went out there last June, had a great time.
Rented a car in SF. Went to Tahoe, Reno (for the
Western States Cobra Bash), Yosemite. Then across to
the coast to Hearst Castle. Then followed Hwy 1 up to
Mendocino. Cut across to 101, and back down through
Napa Valley.
What a great trip that was. Weather was excellent
along the coast. A little cool and breezy, but not
cold. Unless you're used to it, maybe a little too
cool for a 'vert.
The GT-H is a nice car, and performs surprisingly
well for an automatic. But I would get the 'vert.
Crossing the golden gate bridge with the top down is
pretty cool.

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old February 3rd 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"dwight" > wrote in message
. ..
> Automatic? Really?
>
> Jean and I are looking ahead to vacation and we're thinking about San
> Francisco and the Pacific Coast Highway. (This could be the start of a
> series of Great Roads vacations... Yeah, baby!)
>
> I've only just started my research, but thought I might take advantage of
> this opportunity to try the Hertz Mustang. (We rented the new V6
> convertible in Phoenix last year.) As long as we're doing the Highway, the
> GT-H sounded like the choice. But automatic?
>
> I've also heard that the GT-H may be wasted on the Pacific Highway, that
> it may be a too-well-travelled road in late May, early June, and that a
> wannabe photographer like me would be better off in a convertible.
>
> San Francisco would be our starting point, and we haven't yet planned
> whether to head north (to the redwoods) or south (to Monterrey). Anyone
> out there from this area, or who has taken this trip, I'd welcome any
> advice or points of interest. We'll be driving the coast, but will be
> taking frequent breaks and mini-hikes. Photo ops for me, historical
> interest and occasional shopping for her...
>
> With a predicted HIGH of 16 degrees tomorrow, I thought I'd best start
> thinking about my summer vacation.
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog93.com

You may want to consider Yosemite in August. Not that far away
from your planned destination.
Drove that park in my newly acquired '71 Grande with 4V M-code.
Those mountain roads really worked the car and I had a blast.

mike

Old February 3rd 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

"dwight" > wrote in
:

> "Joe" > wrote in message
>> "dwight" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Automatic? Really?

>> Yup. So anyone can drive them.
>>
>>> Jean and I are looking ahead to vacation and we're thinking about
>>> San Francisco and the Pacific Coast Highway. (This could be the
>>> start of a series of Great Roads vacations... Yeah, baby!)
>>>
>>> I've only just started my research, but thought I might take
>>> advantage of this opportunity to try the Hertz Mustang. (We rented
>>> the new V6 convertible in Phoenix last year.) As long as we're doing
>>> the Highway, the GT-H sounded like the choice. But automatic?

>> It's a rental.
>>
>>> I've also heard that the GT-H may be wasted on the Pacific Highway,
>>> that it may be a too-well-travelled road in late May, early June,
>>> and that a wannabe photographer like me would be better off in a
>>> convertible.

>> Just keep your eyes on the road if you're driving.
>>
>>> San Francisco would be our starting point, and we haven't yet
>>> planned whether to head north (to the redwoods) or south (to
>>> Monterrey). Anyone out there from this area, or who has taken this
>>> trip, I'd welcome any advice or points of interest. We'll be driving
>>> the coast, but will be taking frequent breaks and mini-hikes. Photo
>>> ops for me, historical interest and occasional shopping for her...
>>>
>>> With a predicted HIGH of 16 degrees tomorrow, I thought I'd best
>>> start thinking about my summer vacation.
>>>
>>> dwight
>>> www.tfrog93.com

>> You might consider a winter vacation. Yesterday's high temperature
>> was 84 here. A/C was crankin' away...

> Hah! I've already driven I95 through Florida. Wasn't all that scenic.
> And remember, Jean is a woman of a certain age and doesn't care for
> hot weather at ANY time of the year.
>
>)

I95 through FL is just plain nasty. I'm not suggesting a driving
vacation to FL, but it's nice to go from the teens to the 70s/80s in
February.

If you want scenic, then A1A is the way to go. Areas around places like
St. Augustine are very nice, and there are plenty of bed/breakfasts to
stay and plenty shops to keep you busy.

OTOH, in SoFla you can rent Ferraris, Lambos, or Maseratis and cruise
down South Beach or A1A in Lauderdale. Certainly nothing like the PCH,
but it's definitely got its good points.