crankshaft position sensor help

Old February 5th 06, 04:51 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default crankshaft position sensor help

has anybody replaced one of these on a 1998 dodge stratus es with v6? whats
the best way to do it? i cant' even see it from the top, it's suppose to be
near the distributor. thanks

Old February 5th 06, 05:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

I would say its near the crank, hence the name Crank position sensor. since
the crank is at the bottom of the engine it will be down there. I believe it
needs to bet set to a certain distance from the crank and that is critical,
so if your not comfortable doing that, get it in to a reputable shop.

ink.net...

Old February 5th 06, 07:43 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

You will have to remove the two bolts from the cruise control servo. unplug
the cruise servo and pull it up out of the way. You will then be able to see
were the Crank sensor sticks out of the bell housing. It is about the 8:00
o'clock position with the distributor. I believe it is a 10 mm bolt holding
in the crank sensor. You have to feel for it. and use and extension. then
hook on the ratchet and take it out.
Reverse for install.

Old February 5th 06, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

"randy pape" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> has anybody replaced one of these on a 1998 dodge stratus es with v6?

whats
> the best way to do it? i cant' even see it from the top, it's suppose to

be
> near the distributor. thanks

Bolted on the trans housing, you can actually see it and be able to remove
the bolt thru the left front wheel area looking at the trans. the hardest
part is getting the connector off and then back on. Much easier on a lift.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old February 8th 06, 03:08 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

thanks i found it and changed it . buttttttttt the guy at autozone sold me
the wrong part for the camshaft position sensor code. i changed the
cranksensor and check engine light came back on and cam sensor code again
too :-(
i heard this sensor is inside the distributor and i just changed that out 3
months ago. what's the odd's of something bad in there? thanks Randy

Old February 8th 06, 09:22 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

"randy pape" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> thanks i found it and changed it . buttttttttt the guy at autozone sold me
> the wrong part for the camshaft position sensor code. i changed the
> cranksensor and check engine light came back on and cam sensor code again
> too :-(
> i heard this sensor is inside the distributor and i just changed that out

3
> months ago. what's the odd's of something bad in there? thanks Randy
>

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "randy pape" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> >> has anybody replaced one of these on a 1998 dodge stratus es with v6?

> > whats
> >> the best way to do it? i cant' even see it from the top, it's suppose

> > be
> >> near the distributor. thanks
> >>

> > Bolted on the trans housing, you can actually see it and be able to

remove
> > the bolt thru the left front wheel area looking at the trans. the

hardest
> > part is getting the connector off and then back on. Much easier on a

lift.

> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

The cam sensor is the distributor. and the odds are pretty good that could
be causing the problem especially if you are loosen spark

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler tech

Old February 9th 06, 01:22 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

thanks for the reply :-)