head gasket repair

Old February 10th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Randy E Schaben

Default head gasket repair

I pass thru this newsgroup occasionally since I bought an '06 mustang a
year ago. I think this is my first post and I apologize for it not being
mustang related. But I believe there are many knowledgeable mechanics hear
that may have some good advice.

My brother had his head gasket repaired on his '98 Monte Carlo 3.1 V6 (POS)
as the oil had a milky look to it. After repair the milky oil returned.
Now mech. says block may be cracked.

Question: Should the mechanic been able to know the difference between bad
head gasket and cracked block?

Or maybe the repair job was not done correctly to begin with and the
mechanics work needs to be redone, ie. another new head gasket. BTW, the
work was done at the local GM dealership.

How would you handle this situation? Any advice will be appreciated.

Randy
'06 Mustang

Old February 10th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kruse

On Feb 10, 10:19 am, "Randy E Schaben" > wrote:

> My brother had his head gasket repaired on his '98 Monte Carlo 3.1 V6 (POS)
> as the oil had a milky look to it. After repair the milky oil returned.
> Now mech. says block may be cracked.
> Question: Should the mechanic been able to know the difference between bad
> head gasket and cracked block?

I'm going to comment on this because I've done some work on the 3.1
and 3.4 GM engines and this was when I was a Ford tech. Go figure.
It would be hard for the tech to find the cracked block when just
replacing the head gaskets or the cracked heads, especially if there
was a visible fault from the head gaskets or the heads. Also, the tech
really wouldn't know the history of the car. Did the oil just start
getting milky or did the driver run the engine hot for a half hour?
Remember too, that to do a thorough job of finding the cracks the
block should be checked by a machine shop, impossible to do with the
block in the car.

Whatever the problem now, the dealer now just wants to replace
everything to make sure the problem goes away. You will probably find
the the dealer's estimate will be more than what the car is worth.

Old February 11th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Randy E Schaben

Thanks for the feed back, Kruse. I don't think my brother put many miles on
the car after the gasket went out, and I don't think he drove it hot. I
guess the mechanic changed the oil (and flushed the engine?) again.
Yesterday my brother said the oil looked milky after the second oil change.
But today after he put a few more miles on it he said the oil didn't look
bad. So maybe the engine is alright. I don't know. But he says he is
going to trade the car in since it needs some other work too.

Your feed back made sense to me. Actually made me feel better about the
mechanic also. Sometimes mechanics get bad raps against them when they
don't deserve it. Thanks again for the feedback.

Randy

ups.com...

Old February 11th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Randy E Schaben wrote:
> Thanks for the feed back, Kruse. I don't think my brother put many miles on
> the car after the gasket went out, and I don't think he drove it hot. I
> guess the mechanic changed the oil

Maybe, maybe not. Had a mechanical fuel pump go out on my parents car
when I was still in HS... Mixing gas with the oil. I figured they were
too stupid to change the oil. So I went to change it... sure enough... it
was about half gasoline.

> (and flushed the engine?) again.
> Yesterday my brother said the oil looked milky after the second oil change.
> But today after he put a few more miles on it he said the oil didn't look
> bad. So maybe the engine is alright. I don't know. But he says he is
> going to trade the car in since it needs some other work too.

How is the car driven? If it only does short trips, some milkiness will
be normal. It needs to get up to temp for awhile to burn off the normal
moisture.

Oil leak through head gasket - tightening head bolts... Ben Martin BMW 19 June 16th 06 06:05 AM
head gasket jim beam Honda 0 June 4th 06 05:02 PM
89 Accord head & head gasket oil leak FunkyKev Honda 0 May 16th 06 08:27 AM
1990 Honda Accord EX F22A Head Gasket Repair JG Honda 10 March 7th 06 01:12 AM
Head gasket - reuse the old head or not Ryan Underwood Technology 2 May 25th 05 01:27 AM