Replacing Horn 1998 Saturn SL2

Old November 3rd 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Sorebikr

Default Replacing Horn 1998 Saturn SL2

I've read through as many posts here as I could find about replacing
the horn (and/or) relay on this car and I'm sorry to say I'm still a
bit confused.

Here's what I've done, and I think I know wthe problem, just not how to
fix it:

-I'm getting juice to the horn.
-I purchased a new horn, but I bought the wrong one I guess. I bought
one that doesn't have the relay included, so when I connected the wires
the horn blew continuously. (Note: I attached the hot to one
connection and both the black (B&C) to the other connection, was this
right??)

So I think I need to either: 1. Go out and find a replacement horn
that includes a relay (where??) or 2. Add an after market relay to
this circuit (how??)

Thank you for any and all assistance.

Old November 3rd 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jocko

I bought a 2-connector horn from Canadian Tire to replace the 3-connector
horn that came with my wifes 1999 SC1. All I had to do is find which of
the 3 wires was ground (pretty easy) and then used the other wire of the
remaining 2 that didn't honk the horn all the time.

It works great.

JB

oups.com...

Old November 3rd 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Sorebikr

So you just taped off the third wire and ignored it?

If my replacement horn doesn't have a relay, how does that work? (I
obviously have no idea what a relay does)

Old November 6th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NapalmHeart

"Sorebikr" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> So you just taped off the third wire and ignored it?
>
> If my replacement horn doesn't have a relay, how does that work? (I
> obviously have no idea what a relay does)

Think of a relay as an electric switch. The button that you push inside
the car activates the relay, which then causes the circuit to the device you
wish to activate to work. It allows smaller gauge wire and a smaller switch
to be used inside the cabin of your car.

Ken

Old November 7th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Sorebikr

> Think of a relay as an electric switch. The button that you push inside
> the car activates the relay, which then causes the circuit to the device you
> wish to activate to work. It allows smaller gauge wire and a smaller switch
> to be used inside the cabin of your car.

Thanks for the explanation. But I guess I'm back to square one.
Either goto the Saturn dealership and get a horn from them, or...figure
out how to add a relay to the generic replacement horn I purchased...

Old December 5th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jocko

Yes, and it works very well. Since all 3 wires are the same gauge there
shouldn't be a current issue.

ups.com...

Old December 10th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
redblack

Jocko wrote:
> Yes, and it works very well. Since all 3 wires are the same gauge there
> shouldn't be a current issue.
>
> "Sorebikr" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > So you just taped off the third wire and ignored it?
> >
> > If my replacement horn doesn't have a relay, how does that work? (I
> > obviously have no idea what a relay does)
> >
> > Jocko wrote:
> >> I bought a 2-connector horn from Canadian Tire to replace the 3-connector
> >> horn that came with my wifes 1999 SC1. All I had to do is find which of
> >> the 3 wires was ground (pretty easy) and then used the other wire of the
> >> remaining 2 that didn't honk the horn all the time.

You should go back to the canadian tire and bring your bill for the
horn and tell them you need a relay for it. Even though all 3 wires may
be the same guage other parts of the circuit may not be able to handle
the current of the horn. I beleave this is likely or the engineers at
saturn would not have spent the money on the third wire or a horn with
a relay. There is a chance you could cause an electrical fire in your
car if you overheat the circuit. personally i would get the correct one
from saturn. It might be cheaper in the long run.

1998 Saturn SC1 tonya Saturn 10 July 10th 06 04:44 AM
Truck horn vs. car horn meirman Chrysler 17 August 18th 05 11:27 PM
Replacing Horn 96 Saturn (Wiring and Access) Clive Hayward Saturn 2 September 6th 04 11:00 PM
from Saturn fan to Saturn Consultant The Espaz Saturn 1 May 18th 04 10:39 PM
HELP: 1993 Saturn SL1 Window Regulator - READ THIS!!! B. Case Saturn 3 May 15th 04 12:56 AM