end of mustang??

Old April 18th 12, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

Default end of mustang??

"twk" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Bob Willard > wrote:
>
>> On 4/17/2012 11:47 AM, twk wrote:
>> > In >,

>> > I'm not liking that new style at the moment. It will probably grow on
>> > me.
>> > Youth-market car, eh? Yep, I'm an old fart. /grin
>> >

>> If 400+ HP doesn't grow on you, then start looking for a nursing home.
>>
>> (Even my wife's new Flex has 355 HP; I need a Mustang GT to keep up.}

> Oh I like the horse power.
> It's the style that isn't doing anything for me.
>
> --
> For all you know this message was...
> Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.

Have to agree. I'm an old fart, too (for sure), but the current Mustang
looks dated - especially when you look at the complete Ford line-up at
fordvehicles.com. I wouldn't mind seeing 400HP in a 21st century design. The
new Fusion is gorgeous; I think Ford could do wonders with the Mustang,
while staying true to the heritage.

I've had enough retro for this lifetime, thanks.

dwight

Old April 18th 12, 11:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Apr 17, 4:31*pm, Bob Willard >
wrote:
> On 4/17/2012 11:47 AM, twk wrote:
>

> > In >,
> > * > *wrote:

> >> For the last decade, auto makers have connected with baby boomers by
> >> recreating storied cars from their youth like the VW Beetle, Chevrolet
> >> Camaro and Dodge Challenger.

> >> Now, Ford Motor Co. is betting it is time to hit the brakes on the retro
> >> trend, and shift its focus to a younger generation.

> >> The Mustang, the Pony car that launched affordable and compact sports
> >> cars, today strongly hews to the look of the 1964 original. But Ford is
> >> working on radical makeover of its signature youth-market car, people
> >> familiar with Ford's plans said. The next generation would retain the
> >> shark-nosed grille ...

> > I'm not liking that new style at the moment. It will probably grow on me.
> > Youth-market car, eh? Yep, I'm an old fart. * /grin

> If 400+ HP doesn't grow on you, then start looking for a nursing home.
>
> (Even my wife's new Flex has 355 HP; I need a Mustang GT to keep up.}
> --
> Cheers, Bob

Someone say Flex? LOL! Slap a tune on your wife's Flex and you'll
have 400 HP! The only thing is the Flex is almost 5000 pounds! LOL!
You'll be surprised at the looks you get when you start running low
13s in your wife's grocery getter!!!

As for the new design on the Mustang... had heard it was going to be a
pretty radical change... I need to see one in person before i
decide...
Old April 18th 12, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jimbo/m...

the mustang ended in 1973 .........

Old April 18th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
C. E. White[_2_]

"Jimbo/m..." > wrote in message
> the mustang ended in 1973 .........

I think in ended in 1970. The 71 - 73 Mustangs were too big, too heavy, too
whatever for my taste. I actually think the 79-2004 Mustangs were closer to
the original than the 71-73 Monsters. My Son has a 2006. It is OK, but to my
tastes, the 2001 I owned was better. I suppose from an engineering
standpoint the 2006 is better design, but it is too big and heavy while at
the same time having a less desirable driving position. Not as bad as a
Camaro, but still not great.

Ed

Old April 19th 12, 09:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jimbo/m...

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> "Jimbo/m..." > wrote in message
>> the mustang ended in 1973 .........

> I think in ended in 1970. The 71 - 73 Mustangs were too big, too heavy,
> too whatever for my taste. I actually think the 79-2004 Mustangs were
> closer to the original than the 71-73 Monsters. My Son has a 2006. It is
> OK, but to my tastes, the 2001 I owned was better. I suppose from an
> engineering standpoint the 2006 is better design, but it is too big and
> heavy while at the same time having a less desirable driving position. Not
> as bad as a Camaro, but still not great.
>
> Ed

71 to 73 were long low and wide....everything that makes makes you go wow!

Old April 21st 12, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 18, 3:01*pm, "C. E. White" > wrote:
> "Jimbo/m..." > wrote in message

> > the mustang ended in 1973 .........

> I think in ended in 1970.

I think it ended in 1966. The '67-'70 were too big, too muscular
looking. Not small, light, and lithe, like the originals. And don't
get me started on the Batmobile-wannabee '71-'73s -- over-the-top,
flamboyant styling with no purpose. The Mustang IIs were a joke. The
'79-'93s had no classic Mustang cues to be a real Mustang. The
'94-'98s were bloated looking. The '99-04s, while trimmer, were still
too big and relied too much on plastic scoops. The '05-'09 were a
hodgepodge of previous designs, not an original. The same with the
'10-'13, plus it has too much muscle car aggression going on. So
there you have it -- a real Mustang hasn't been built since
1966.

I'm kidding, of course. They are all Mustangs. They all added to the
lineage and will soon help the Mustang survive to see its 50th
birthday.

Patrick
Old April 26th 12, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 17, 8:32*pm, "dwight" > wrote:
> "twk" > wrote in message

> > In article >,
> > Bob Willard > wrote:

> >> If 400+ HP doesn't grow on you, then start looking for a nursing home.

> >> (Even my wife's new Flex has 355 HP; I need a Mustang GT to keep up.}

> > Oh I like the horse power.
> > It's the style that isn't doing anything for me.

> Have to agree. I'm an old fart, too (for sure), but the current Mustang
> looks dated - especially when you look at the complete Ford line-up at
> fordvehicles.com. I wouldn't mind seeing 400HP in a 21st century design. The
> new Fusion is gorgeous; I think Ford could do wonders with the Mustang,
> while staying true to the heritage.
>
> I've had enough retro for this lifetime, thanks.

I have to agree, Dwight. I think they've played the retro for all
it's worth. Time for something new. Keep a few of the classic
Mustang cues and proportions but give us something new.

Patrick
Old September 15th 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jimbo /m ...

> So
>there you have it -- a real Mustang hasn't been built since
>1966.

my '66 was a big disappointment to me...it felt like working on a tractor
after having european cars all my driving life here in Scotland........