Here's a fun one - 98 SW2 rear wiper motor

Old March 1st 11, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Poptart

Default Here's a fun one - 98 SW2 rear wiper motor

Little while ago,

The motor died on my rear wiper 98 Sw2 died. It's died before, and
I've rebuilt it, but that was a gradual thing. This time it was just
a full stop. Unfortunately my volt-meter had died and I was waiting
for Canadian tire to put them on sale, so I went ahead and bought a
used motor from http://www.6thplanetusedparts.com/ (great service by
the way)

Long painful story. My motor was fine... One of the tiny wires
connecting the mult-function stick in the steering column (I always
called them "funky flippers"), had separated.

Once you have the steering column housing off (not hard, just
irritating due to the depth of some of the bolts inside the housing),
it was 10 minutes with a soldering iron and I'm back in business...

The moral of the story? Always replace the cheapest part first. ie
the %%$#@! volt-meter, in my case.
Old March 3rd 11, 12:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Linda[_2_]

On Mar 1, 8:19*am, Poptart > wrote:
> Little while ago,
>
> The motor died on my rear wiper 98 Sw2 died. *It's died before, and
> I've rebuilt it, but that was a gradual thing. *This time it was just
> a full stop. *Unfortunately my volt-meter had died and I was waiting
> for Canadian tire to put them on sale, so I went ahead and bought a
> used motor fromhttp://www.6thplanetusedparts.com/*(great service by
> the way)
>
> Long painful story. *My motor was fine... *One of the tiny wires
> connecting the mult-function stick in the steering column (I always
> called them "funky flippers"), had separated. *
>
> Once you have the steering column housing off (not hard, just
> irritating due to the depth of some of the bolts inside the housing),
> it was 10 minutes with a soldering iron and I'm back in business...
>
> The moral of the story? *Always replace the cheapest part first. *ie
> the %%$#@! *volt-meter, in my case.

Great idea : ) My washer pump in my 94 SW2 was replaced by the dealer
3 times and I stopped replacing it in 2000 as the warantee was over.
Any idea on replacement pumps? BTW this is my first new car and I
still love it after 17 loyal years and 300K : )
Linda
Old March 3rd 11, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

"Linda" > wrote in message

> Great idea : ) My washer pump in my 94 SW2 was replaced by the dealer
> 3 times and I stopped replacing it in 2000 as the warantee was over.
> Any idea on replacement pumps? BTW this is my first new car and I
> still love it after 17 loyal years and 300K : )
> Linda

What failed in the pump? Biggest cause of broken reservoirs and pumps is
forgetting to use winter mix washer fluid. If you use summer mix, often the
stuff freezes in cold weather and fractures something.

There are aftermarket pumps that can be adapted fairly easily. Check out
www.AutoZone.com
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...tring=searc h

My LW has a really weird washer pump. It runs forward to send fluid to the
front washers. Runs *reverse* to get fluid to the rear washer. Not great
pressure but it works. No valves or any special plumbing. Neat design.

Old March 5th 11, 06:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
danielr[_2_]

On Mar 1, 8:19*am, Poptart > wrote:
> Little while ago,
>
> The motor died on my rear wiper 98 Sw2 died. *It's died before, and
> I've rebuilt it, but that was a gradual thing. *This time it was just
> a full stop. *Unfortunately my volt-meter had died and I was waiting
> for Canadian tire to put them on sale, so I went ahead and bought a
> used motor fromhttp://www.6thplanetusedparts.com/*(great service by
> the way)
>
> Long painful story. *My motor was fine... *One of the tiny wires
> connecting the mult-function stick in the steering column (I always
> called them "funky flippers"), had separated. *
>
> Once you have the steering column housing off (not hard, just
> irritating due to the depth of some of the bolts inside the housing),
> it was 10 minutes with a soldering iron and I'm back in business...
>
> The moral of the story? *Always replace the cheapest part first. *ie
> the %%$#@! *volt-meter, in my case.

hi fellow Canadian;
you don't need to wait for Canadian Tire sales...
here in Toronto (and also in some other provinces), there is a place
called SAYAL, which has everything electronic tooling and cabling (for
professional and hobbyist) at ridiculous prices.
good luck.

2000 saturn sw2 rear wiper question [email protected] Saturn 1 February 22nd 07 05:41 AM
Rear Window Wiper Motor Tom Rogers Chrysler 8 September 20th 06 06:33 PM
Rear Wiper Motor CaravanGuy Chrysler 5 May 14th 05 01:15 AM
Rear wiper motor R Miller Saturn 1 January 16th 05 05:34 PM
SW2 rear wiper not working (again) Michael Vraniak Saturn 0 November 5th 04 07:50 PM