~ Seaside Motors Scam

Old May 5th 04, 05:33 AM
Shredrca

Default ~ Seaside Motors Scam

Hey Jim,

Sorry for the very very late reply. Actually, I knew from the
beginning that it was not a Callaway Edition. Thanks to the NET, I
knew all the special trims to look for. Either way, it was still a
bargain for a stock 4.6 HSE. Whoever put that label on it must have
been determined though. The typeface was correct and it looked
professionally glued in. I thought about removing it, but it might
damage the paint so there it is. Sometimes, I'm struck by doubt that
maybe, just maybe, it really IS a Callaway, and I really got an
excellent deal. And it would lift my day :-)

Thanks for the kind reply.

~Shredrca

rom: AZGuy )
Subject: Seaside Motors Scam
Newsgroups: rec.autos.4x4
Date: 2003-10-05 10:20:11 PST

I want to compliment you on your post. Most of these "warnings" about
dealers are a rant where the writer blames everyone but themselves for
not noticing any of the warning signs and buying the vehicle. Yours
was refreshingly different. YOu actually accept without blaming the
dealer, for the things you accepted when you bought it and only blame
him for the things he didn't do that he was supposed to. And pointed
out his general ethical shortcomings without ranting. Sad to say,
there are still plenty of dealers who will try and pull this kind of
bait and switch on tires and anything else they can.

Did you ever figure out if it was a real Callaway or not or what the
deal was with that??

On 4 Oct 2003 13:34:48 -0700, (Shredrca) wrote:

>I just bought a used Range Rover from Seaside Motors in Santa Monica,
>CA and I thought I'd post here my buying experience, and maybe

someone
>else might benefit from the lessons I learned.
>
>The SUV was advertized as a "Callaway Edition" and it had "Calaway"
>lettering below the "4.6 HSE" badge. Research told me 1999 Callaways
>only came in red, silver and green. The SUV was dark blue. The
>exterior trims were also wrong. I ran CarFax on the VIN and it

checked
>out fine--although it didn't list as a Callaway. Despite this, the

SUV
>was clean and it appeared that the previous owner treated it well. I
>ran Edmunds and Kelly Blue book and the price was below trade-in.
>
>When I test drove the SUV, the dealer installed a brand new spare

tire
>with matching rims as the truck. All four rims had logo disks in
>place. The right signal lamp and one of the center brake lamps were
>bad--the dealer promised to fix them. The owners manual was also
>missing--the dealer claimed it was in storage. The CD Changer
>cartridge was also missing. The "Service Engine Soon" light was lit,
>and a "LH Window not set" warning appears when I turn off the engine.
>After deciding on the SUV, I was able to get $995 off the price and I
>had a purchase order printed.
>
>I returned the next day after my credit union approved the sale and
>called the dealership. To their credit, the CD Changer cartridge was
>in place. I first checked the spare tire--it was replaced with a
>generic tire! I insisted on the tire that was installed the day
>before. Then I noticed one of the rim had a missing logo disk--I was
>now suspicious that the tires may have been replaced. Finally, after
>some arguing, the logo disk was installed. The brake lamps were still
>bad; but at this point I just wanted to get the truck and replace
>those myself. The SUV had a near empty tank--which I later found out
>could cause the "Service Engine Soon" light to come on.
>
>The next day, I remembered about the owners manual. When I called the
>dealer about it, he insisted that he told me there was NO manual for
>the car. I then knew the kind of people they were. The manual cost me
>$155 from an authorized dealer! Resetting the "Service Engine Soon"
>light cost me $75 from a local rover garage. (The authorized dealer
>wanted $120 to diagnoze the light.) The lamps cost me about $8 in

all.
>The authorized dealer was able to print me a copy of the warranty log
>record for the SUV, the security code for the sound system, as well

as
>order me a spare key. I have to save up to get the "super key" which
>costs $250!
>
>In retrospect, I count myself lucky I found the spare tire

switch-scam