Performance SUVs. What's The point?

Old September 13th 11, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

Default Performance SUVs. What's The point?

Seems most manufactures have one of these now. Here's the latest
model.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/...t_pr.html#more

But I don't understand why. Why a jacked up, what is essentially a
high-performance car? (The hulk-like body in combination with the
thin sidewall tires makes them look like a football player wearing
stilettos.) They have street/track tires and wheels (not to mention
the high sticker price) so you're not going to be hitting the Rubicon
trail. And I don't see their owners swapping the factory tires/wheels
with "mudders." So then, why not just buy a good high-performance
sedan? It's not like SUVs are any more spacious than a sedan. Or are
these performance SUVs a way of saying we need more SRT Magnums/CTS-V
wagons?

Patrick

Old September 14th 11, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:34:00 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>Seems most manufactures have one of these now. Here's the latest
>model.
>
>http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/...t_pr.html#more
>
>But I don't understand why. Why a jacked up, what is essentially a
>high-performance car? (The hulk-like body in combination with the
>thin sidewall tires makes them look like a football player wearing
>stilettos.) They have street/track tires and wheels (not to mention
>the high sticker price) so you're not going to be hitting the Rubicon
>trail. And I don't see their owners swapping the factory tires/wheels
>with "mudders." So then, why not just buy a good high-performance
>sedan? It's not like SUVs are any more spacious than a sedan. Or are
>these performance SUVs a way of saying we need more SRT Magnums/CTS-V
>wagons?
>
>Patrick

The answer is SALES and I WANT SOMETHING YOU DON'T HAVE (never mind
that you don't want one!

Why would someone choose a Mercury Cougar over a Ford Mustang?
Neener Neener Neener I paid more than you did! For that matter, why is
there a Mercury at all? Same with Pontiac and Chevy, Buick and Olds,
etc. With some exceptions like the Corvettem they are essentially the
same cars from each division. But, somebody in Marketing had a great
idea, and the buying public fell for it. Why are there umpteen
versions of the same car. Like Mustang. Why not a single version. A
5.0 tire smoking eardrum busting 4/5/6 speed manual? Because only
middle of the road liberals and conservatives would buy them. True
liberals would want a car that looks like that's what it is, yet is
saves the planet from doom. Right Wing conservatives want monster gas
burning hogs like the president rides around in. They are evil. They
don't give a damn aboutthe environment.

OK... that stuff about conservatives isn't what I believe. It's what
soem of my more liberal friends say. I'm mostly conservative, and
apparently I am evil incarnate... the devil's spawn because I think
liberals are going to destroy the planet by trying to fix things that
ain't near as broke as Al Bore wants us all to believe.
Old September 14th 11, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 9/13/2011 15:34, wrote:
> Seems most manufactures have one of these now. Here's the latest
> model.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/...t_pr.html#more

> But I don't understand why. Why a jacked up, what is essentially a
> high-performance car? (The hulk-like body in combination with the
> thin sidewall tires makes them look like a football player wearing
> stilettos.) They have street/track tires and wheels (not to mention
> the high sticker price) so you're not going to be hitting the Rubicon
> trail. And I don't see their owners swapping the factory tires/wheels
> with "mudders." So then, why not just buy a good high-performance
> sedan? It's not like SUVs are any more spacious than a sedan. Or are
> these performance SUVs a way of saying we need more SRT Magnums/CTS-V
> wagons?
>
> Patrick

Well I'll put it this way, I like the inside of my Titan, but like
the drive and feel (power) of my Mustang. Yeah I know the Fox Mustang is
far from powerful anymore, but it conveys my point. I also liked
tweaking with the Mustang. Enter the FX50. I don't care how many times
they plat the ad, it is not practical to stuff to school kid in the back
of a 911.
Old September 16th 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

"D E Willson" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:34:00 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>>Seems most manufactures have one of these now. Here's the latest
>>model.
>>
>>http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/...t_pr.html#more
>>
>>But I don't understand why. Why a jacked up, what is essentially a
>>high-performance car? (The hulk-like body in combination with the
>>thin sidewall tires makes them look like a football player wearing
>>stilettos.) They have street/track tires and wheels (not to mention
>>the high sticker price) so you're not going to be hitting the Rubicon
>>trail. And I don't see their owners swapping the factory tires/wheels
>>with "mudders." So then, why not just buy a good high-performance
>>sedan? It's not like SUVs are any more spacious than a sedan. Or are
>>these performance SUVs a way of saying we need more SRT Magnums/CTS-V
>>wagons?
>>
>>Patrick
>>

> The answer is SALES and I WANT SOMETHING YOU DON'T HAVE (never mind
> that you don't want one!
>
> Why would someone choose a Mercury Cougar over a Ford Mustang?
> Neener Neener Neener I paid more than you did! For that matter, why is
> there a Mercury at all? Same with Pontiac and Chevy, Buick and Olds,
> etc. With some exceptions like the Corvettem they are essentially the
> same cars from each division. But, somebody in Marketing had a great
> idea, and the buying public fell for it. Why are there umpteen
> versions of the same car. Like Mustang. Why not a single version. A
> 5.0 tire smoking eardrum busting 4/5/6 speed manual? Because only
> middle of the road liberals and conservatives would buy them. True
> liberals would want a car that looks like that's what it is, yet is
> saves the planet from doom. Right Wing conservatives want monster gas
> burning hogs like the president rides around in. They are evil. They
> don't give a damn aboutthe environment.
>
> OK... that stuff about conservatives isn't what I believe. It's what
> soem of my more liberal friends say. I'm mostly conservative, and
> apparently I am evil incarnate... the devil's spawn because I think
> liberals are going to destroy the planet by trying to fix things that
> ain't near as broke as Al Bore wants us all to believe.

You had to go there... Your initial point was on target - marketing.

My wife chose an Escape, because she likes sitting up high (above the
traffic) and she likes the illusion of being protected. I hate that truck,
and it's not my thing at all, but if she likes it, she gets to have one.

(As an aside, I was disappointed when we traded the 2007 for the 2010 model.
The 2007 had actual off-road capable tires, the 2010 has no-pretense street
tires.)

A high-performance SUV probably addresses an image compatible with both men
and women (speaking in generalities, here), in that they can drive a
get-outta-my-way vehicle that probably has more capability than they'll ever
use. Again, not my thing.

Aside from all that, they've also got to be pure-profit sales for the
manufacturers, whose margin on the entry-level cars that sell the most isn't
all that it could be. $$$ is the motive, marketing is the way they get
there.

dwight
(who, by the way, was a Republican since I first voted in 1972. But, seeing
what's been going on in the party for the last decade or so, has now become
a registered Democrat. The last liberal Republican is now a blue-dog
Democrat. Go figure.)

((I would have gone Independent, but that would lock me out of the primaries
here in PA.))

Old September 16th 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dickr

I just read an article about the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.
Top speed of 155 mph, 0-60 4.8 seconds, 6.4 liter Hemi - 470 HP,
5-speed auto, 12 MPG city, 18 MPG highway. Price $54,000 range.

Question is: Would anyone use this vehicle to pull a horse trailer,
large boat, large travel trailer, run it on the drag strip, or
just use it to drive to the grocery store.

What's the point, indeed!

Dick
Old September 17th 11, 09:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:02:40 -0500, Dickr > wrote:

>I just read an article about the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.
>Top speed of 155 mph, 0-60 4.8 seconds, 6.4 liter Hemi - 470 HP,
>5-speed auto, 12 MPG city, 18 MPG highway. Price $54,000 range.
>
>Question is: Would anyone use this vehicle to pull a horse trailer,
>large boat, large travel trailer, run it on the drag strip, or
>just use it to drive to the grocery store.
>
>What's the point, indeed!
>
>Dick

Surprisingly, people do. My sister and lots of people she knows have
gigantic Ford Pickups, fully loaded. They use them in winter snow and
yes, to pull horse trailers on a regular basis as well as go to the
grocery store. My sister much prefers her truck to her husbands
BMW535. I see lots of people where I live who have similar large
trucks to pull their $25,000 ski and fishing boats.
Old September 17th 11, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 9/16/2011 17:02, Dickr wrote:
> I just read an article about the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.
> Top speed of 155 mph, 0-60 4.8 seconds, 6.4 liter Hemi - 470 HP,
> 5-speed auto, 12 MPG city, 18 MPG highway. Price $54,000 range.
>
> Question is: Would anyone use this vehicle to pull a horse trailer,
> large boat, large travel trailer, run it on the drag strip, or
> just use it to drive to the grocery store.
>
> What's the point, indeed!
>
> Dick

If it were mine all of the above, except the horse trailer. But I'd
pull any damn thing I wanted to with it and not be so picky as with what
gets stuck on the hitch on my Mustang. Yeah, My Fox has a receiver hitch....
Old September 18th 11, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:40:00 -0400, "dwight" >
wrote:

>"D E Willson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:34:00 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

SNIP

>dwight
>(who, by the way, was a Republican since I first voted in 1972. But, seeing
>what's been going on in the party for the last decade or so, has now become
>a registered Democrat. The last liberal Republican is now a blue-dog
>Democrat. Go figure.)
>
>((I would have gone Independent, but that would lock me out of the primaries
>here in PA.))

California is the same way. Still, I could never go Dem even though I
have problems with many of the GOP.
Old September 27th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
john stachlewicz

On Sep 13, 8:34*pm, "
> wrote:
> Seems most manufactures have one of these now. *Here's the latest
> model.
>
> http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/...suv_concept_pr...
>
> But I don't understand why. Why a jacked up, what is essentially a
> high-performance car? *(The hulk-like body in combination with the
> thin sidewall tires makes them look like a football player wearing
> stilettos.) *They have street/track tires and wheels (not to mention
> the high sticker price) so you're not going to be hitting the Rubicon
> trail. *And I don't see their owners swapping the factory tires/wheels
> with "mudders." *So then, why not just buy a good high-performance
> sedan? *It's not like SUVs are any more spacious than a sedan. *Or are
> these performance SUVs a way of saying we need more SRT Magnums/CTS-V
> wagons?
>
> Patrick

I picked up a 2011 Flex Limited with the EcoBoost to replace my wife's
GMC Acadia... Wife needed more than just a sedan... All I can say is
the Flex is an absolute hoot to drive!! Heck with just a tune (and
not the most aggressive tune out there) the darn thing does 0-60 MPH
in 5.0 and does the 1/4 mile in 13.7! You should see the people
reactions at the track when the Big BRICK goes down the track! All
5000 pounds! LOL! And 3 rows of seats to boot! LOL!
Old September 27th 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dickr

On 9/27/2011 11:57 AM, john stachlewicz wrote:
<snip>

> I picked up a 2011 Flex Limited with the EcoBoost to replace my wife's
> GMC Acadia... Wife needed more than just a sedan... All I can say is
> the Flex is an absolute hoot to drive!! Heck with just a tune (and
> not the most aggressive tune out there) the darn thing does 0-60 MPH
> in 5.0 and does the 1/4 mile in 13.7! You should see the people
> reactions at the track when the Big BRICK goes down the track! All
> 5000 pounds! LOL! And 3 rows of seats to boot! LOL!

John,
Did your wife give you permission to run her car on the drag strip?
:-)
We have a 2010 Flex SE with the standard Duratec V6 that gets up to
speed quite well, and it's easy to get those front tires to chirp
from a standing start. Love that car!

Dick