Looking for stand alone OBD2 software with bidirectional capability

Old November 19th 08, 07:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Looking for stand alone OBD2 software with bidirectional capability

Hi there,

I have been looking for a software package that will allow bidirectional inputs so I can test solenoids, maniulate the EGR, IAT, etc. I've looked at Autoenginuity and it doesn't appear to be what I'm after.
I already have the OBD2->USB interface so I am simply looking to purchase a software package. I like the HP Tuner package but it won't work unless I buy their proprietary connector I am told. Is it possible
to buy a stand alone software package such as this? I already have an AutoXray with CAN2 but I'd like something more comprehensive on my laptop.

Thanks!
A.

Old November 19th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_5_]

A wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have been looking for a software package that will allow
> bidirectional inputs so I can test solenoids, maniulate the EGR, IAT,
> etc. I've looked at Autoenginuity and it doesn't appear to be what
> I'm after. I already have the OBD2->USB interface so I am simply
> looking to purchase a software package. I like the HP Tuner package
> but it won't work unless I buy their proprietary connector I am told.
> Is it possible to buy a stand alone software package such as this? I
> already have an AutoXray with CAN2 but I'd like something more
> comprehensive on my laptop.
>
> Thanks! A.

The question is, How much do you want to spend?
Autoenginuity has the ability to do the tests that are supported by your
vehicle. That does not mean you have the same test abilities on all
vehicles though, and you have to buy the complete package to get that
control. Some vehicles have tests that you can only access with a
factory scan tool regardless of the software.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Old November 20th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

If you need OBD software, go to Google and cut & paste the following into
the Google search window and it will take you to sites that has tons of it
that you can download:

obd .exe OR .zip OR .rar "index of/"

Old November 20th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Andrew

Steve,

At this point I am looking to consider all options that are software-based solutions that allow bidirectional control so a certain degree. I would like to be able to pulse injectors, partially open the EGR,
actuate the ABS modulator, etc. Are you saying the autoenginuity will do these things? It doesn't appear that that's the case according to what I have seen on their website. I appreciate your feedback and
I will continue to hunt. I assumed (foolishly) that there would be a really thorough comparison online somewhere but as of yet, I am unable to locate such a beast. I googled till my teeth fell out (so I thought).

Thanks again!
Andrew.

Old November 23rd 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
man of machines

browser electronics has a package but i can't remember if it is bi-directional

Old November 23rd 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Andrew wrote:
> Steve,
>
> At this point I am looking to consider all options that are
> software-based solutions that allow bidirectional control so a
> certain degree. I would like to be able to pulse injectors,
> partially open the EGR, actuate the ABS modulator, etc. Are you
> saying the autoenginuity will do these things? It doesn't appear
> that that's the case according to what I have seen on their website.
> I appreciate your feedback and I will continue to hunt. I assumed
> (foolishly) that there would be a really thorough comparison online
> somewhere but as of yet, I am unable to locate such a beast. I
> googled till my teeth fell out (so I thought).
>
> Thanks again! Andrew.

Take a closer look at their site and your will find this.
http://www.autoenginuity.com/products.html

Run and query specific component and system tests. Support for generic
and enhanced bi-directional tests

Factory scan tool options available (not included in base kit)
All generic scan tools can only access the powertrain, no matter what
SAE Modes (J1979/J2190) they use for communication. With our expansions,
you can access dozens of systems (ABS, transmission, GEM, SRS/Airbags,
Instrument Cluster, etc.) generic scan tools can't even see. This gives
you access to thousands of sensors and dozens of bi-directional
controls/system tests. Click here to see our enhanced support for Ford,
GM, Chrysler Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, BMW, Land Rover, Honda, Subaru,
Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Porsche, Mercedes, Jaguar , and Audi. Click here for
complete enhanced option details.

Bi-directional support. You have the ability to initiate system and
component tests. Support for this feature is vehicle dependent.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/GM-All-Systems-List.html

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old November 27th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Andrew

Hi again Steve,
I am looking to see which software packages will work with a stand-alone ELM-style harness. As I understand it, AutoEnginuity has a hardware dongle built into the harness itself that assigns a unique ID
in order to work with their software? I don't mind paying for the software but I wanted to use one harness for all the applications and a lot of good open source stuff seems to exist, ELM, etc. I guess
I will have to plug in the harness, test some demos and then post the results to know for sure.

I appreciate all the help so far with this and if any of you have any other suggestions based on personal experiences, please feel free to comment endlessly.

Thanks again,
Andrew.

Old November 27th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Andrew

Steve,

I have no idea how I missed that .pdf comparison. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Old November 29th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
man of machines

ob2.com is the one i like

Andrew wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I have no idea how I missed that .pdf comparison. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!
> Andrew.
>

> >Take a closer look at their site and your will find this.
> >http://www.autoenginuity.com/products.html
> >
> >Run and query specific component and system tests. Support for generic
> >and enhanced bi-directional tests
> >
> >Factory scan tool options available (not included in base kit)
> >All generic scan tools can only access the powertrain, no matter what
> >SAE Modes (J1979/J2190) they use for communication. With our expansions,
> >you can access dozens of systems (ABS, transmission, GEM, SRS/Airbags,
> >Instrument Cluster, etc.) generic scan tools can't even see. This gives
> >you access to thousands of sensors and dozens of bi-directional
> >controls/system tests. Click here to see our enhanced support for Ford,
> >GM, Chrysler Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, BMW, Land Rover, Honda, Subaru,
> >Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Porsche, Mercedes, Jaguar , and Audi. Click here for
> >complete enhanced option details.
> >
> >Bi-directional support. You have the ability to initiate system and
> >component tests. Support for this feature is vehicle dependent.
> >
> >http://www.autoenginuity.com/GM-All-Systems-List.html
> >
> >--
> >Steve W.
> >Near Cooperstown, New York

Improve off road capability on toyota tundra dan_mouse 4x4 1 January 4th 07 08:10 AM
mp3 capability Aldo Pignotti Ford Explorer 1 July 11th 06 02:06 PM
CRV 4x4 capability Shaun Palmer Honda 1 December 1st 05 10:47 PM
Obd2 scapa Honda 0 January 24th 05 06:48 AM
i couldn't stand being away.. linda Chrysler 22 November 16th 04 03:27 PM