Where Automatic Transmission fluid?

Old February 22nd 06, 02:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Where Automatic Transmission fluid?

Where can I find the checker for the Automatic Transmission fluid?? The
owners manual does not have it listed? Is this a sealed system?

Old February 22nd 06, 03:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:40:53 -0500, David Brodosi
> waffled on about something:

>Where can I find the checker for the Automatic Transmission fluid?? The
>owners manual does not have it listed? Is this a sealed system?

David, it's usually helpful to state the model and year. :-p

But just in case my psychic powers are strong today I will say that
the E36 model had a sealed for life automatic system. Having said that
most people recommend having it changed at 100k miles.

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old February 22nd 06, 03:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

David Brodosi wrote:
> Where can I find the checker for the Automatic Transmission fluid?? The
> owners manual does not have it listed? Is this a sealed system?

You don't say what car you are talking about, but if the owners manual
does not mention one it's probably because it is a sealed "lifetime
fill" transmission. It requires lifting the car and removing the fill
plug to determine the fill level.

--
-Fred W
Old February 22nd 06, 04:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

here's my notes on the issue:

http://www.randcjones.plus.com/Docs/...d%20Change.pdf

Old February 22nd 06, 05:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On 22 Feb 2006 08:31:44 -0800, "Russ (www.e36coupe.com)"
> waffled on about something:

>here's my notes on the issue:
>
>http://www.randcjones.plus.com/Docs/...d%20Change.pdf

I find that document a little worrying, as I was told the level hole
was only accurate when the transmission was up to a certain
temperature range...

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old February 22nd 06, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Dodgy" > wrote in message
> On 22 Feb 2006 08:31:44 -0800, "Russ (www.e36coupe.com)"
> > waffled on about something:
>
> >here's my notes on the issue:
> >

>http://www.randcjones.plus.com/Docs/...20Fluid%20Chan

ge.pdf

> I find that document a little worrying, as I was told the level hole
> was only accurate when the transmission was up to a certain
> temperature range...

You are correct. The procedure according the TIS CDROM does state that the
temp must be between certain limits and that the level is checked with the
engine running.

JB

Old February 22nd 06, 06:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Yes, Iım very sorry, itıs an 1995 525i (left drive).

The only time I question this comes on Monday mornings. I do not drive my
car on the weeks, therefore when the car sits, I have the following problem:
Start the car, put the car in drive and nothing. Put my foot on the gas,
the RPMs go to about 2500, and then the car moves. Doesnıt just or
anything, it just slow to go. Once this happens, everything works great for
that time on. Even the rest of the week. But if the car sits, I have a
problem. Itıs as if Iım in my Œ49 Dodge fluid drive. The the car in gear,
take the foot off the clutch and break, the car will stay there. Increase
the RPMs and the car moves. Those who know the Œ49 will know the ³feeling²

Again, thanks for all your help!

in article , Dodgy at