Sorta OT, is this a MFFY?

Old November 12th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave C.[_4_]

Default Sorta OT, is this a MFFY?

OK, yesterday, I was getting ready to go to work. I get a phone call
from a manager at a local trucking company. A friend of mine works
there, and he had given his boss a copy of my resume'.

Anyway, I get this call from this guy wanting to interview me over the
phone, do I have a few minutes? Of course I told him I did. I was on
the phone with him about 15 minutes. He wanted me to come in to meet
his boss, because he's thinking they might want to hire me as a driver
trainer. I politely declined the in-person interview, because I'm
really not interested in OTR work anymore.

But due to the phone call, I was about 10 minutes late leaving for work
yesterday. Not a big deal. But because of the crazy schedule I'm
working this week, I knew that the only chance I'd have to get to the
bank when they are open would be on the way to work yesterday. I had
to cash a paper check and do some other stuff there.

So I'm in kind of a hurry when I get to the bank and (of course) the
bank is busy when I get there. There's several people waiting in the
drive-thru and several people waiting inside. From past experience,
I believe it's going to be faster and easier to do what I need to do if
I go inside. So I go inside and wait in line for several minutes
until I get to the front of the line.

So now I'm about 20 minutes late for work. Again, not a huge
problem, but I really don't have much time to
waste. I'm at the front of the line and right then there is (oddly)
nobody at the drive-thru. So the drive-thru girl sees several people
waiting in line (I'm first) and she comes over to a closed window to
ask if she can help me. So I tell her what I need done, and she takes
my stuff over to the drive-thru side where her work area is.

Shortly after she started working on my transactions, I see a 35-ish
woman in an SUV pull up to the drive-thru. She's sitting there for
about 30 seconds while drive-thru girl is processing my stuff for
me. Then SUV driver pushes buzzer. So drive-thru girl asks "May I
Help You". SUV driver responds, "Can you Do this quickly, because I
only have five minutes". (shoving something into the slide-out drawer)

At this point, I'm over 20 minutes late for work, there are several
people inside waiting in line (who had been behind me), and the only
other customer is the lady in the SUV who had just pulled up. But
drive-thru girl sets my stuff aside and works on (something) for SUV
lady for a couple of minutes. Then she goes back to working on my
stuff.

My initial reaction? I got ****ed because someone else said that
they were in a hurry. Like all the people in the bank who got there
before she did were NOT in a hurry?!?

But then I realized hey, from her perspective, maybe she really
thought she was first in line. I mean, when she arrived, she was first
in line for the drive-thru.

So was it MFFY, or not? -Dave

--
Dave C. >
Old November 13th 09, 07:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Dave C." > wrote in message

[snip...]

> So I'm in kind of a hurry when I get to the bank and (of course) the
> bank is busy when I get there. There's several people waiting in the
> drive-thru and several people waiting inside. From past experience,
> I believe it's going to be faster and easier to do what I need to do if
> I go inside. So I go inside and wait in line for several minutes
> until I get to the front of the line.

In which case the first question would be: what priority does the bank give
drive-thru customers over inside customers?

> So now I'm about 20 minutes late for work. Again, not a huge
> problem, but I really don't have much time to
> waste. I'm at the front of the line and right then there is (oddly)
> nobody at the drive-thru. So the drive-thru girl sees several people
> waiting in line (I'm first) and she comes over to a closed window to
> ask if she can help me. So I tell her what I need done, and she takes
> my stuff over to the drive-thru side where her work area is.

It's already the bank's problem for understaffing... one should probably
consider a better bank.

> Shortly after she started working on my transactions, I see a 35-ish
> woman in an SUV pull up to the drive-thru. She's sitting there for
> about 30 seconds while drive-thru girl is processing my stuff for
> me. Then SUV driver pushes buzzer. So drive-thru girl asks "May I
> Help You". SUV driver responds, "Can you Do this quickly, because I
> only have five minutes". (shoving something into the slide-out drawer)

Which goes back to the question of what priority the bank gives drive-thru
customers over inside customers...

> At this point, I'm over 20 minutes late for work, there are several
> people inside waiting in line (who had been behind me), and the only
> other customer is the lady in the SUV who had just pulled up. But
> drive-thru girl sets my stuff aside and works on (something) for SUV
> lady for a couple of minutes. Then she goes back to working on my
> stuff.

And that would seem (to me) that the bank prioritizes drive thru over inside
customers, similar to how one can observe that fast food places often
prioritize drive thru orders over inside customer orders for both eat in and
to go orders. So given that drive thru customers are a priority...

[snip...]

> But then I realized hey, from her perspective, maybe she really
> thought she was first in line. I mean, when she arrived, she was first
> in line for the drive-thru.

That's not an actual MFFY, but someone who was smart enough to assert
themselves if the bank gives priority to drive thru customers over inside
customers. Since they had priority, they were smart enough to ask not to
wait any longer than necessary.

The bigger issue is the bank's understaffing, making all customers probably
wait longer than necessary.

Old November 13th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Nov 12, 10:00*am, "Dave C." > wrote:
> [...]
> Help You". *SUV driver responds, "Can you Do this quickly, because I
> only have five minutes". *(shoving something into the slide-out drawer)
>
> At this point, I'm over 20 minutes late for work, there are several
> people inside waiting in line (who had been behind me), and the only
> other customer is the lady in the SUV who had just pulled up. *But
> drive-thru girl sets my stuff aside and works on (something) for SUV
> lady for a couple of minutes. *Then she goes back to working on my
> stuff.
>
> My initial reaction? *I got ****ed because someone else said that
> they were in a hurry. *Like all the people in the bank who got there
> before she did were NOT in a hurry?!?
>
> But then I realized hey, from her perspective, maybe she really
> thought she was first in line. *I mean, when she arrived, she was first

No, it wasn't MFFY. The person waiting on you had here assigned
position at the window and that work comes first.

Harry K
Old November 14th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave C.[_4_]

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:27:14 -0800
John David Galt > wrote:

> Dave C. wrote:
> > My initial reaction? I got ****ed because someone else said that
> > they were in a hurry. Like all the people in the bank who got there
> > before she did were NOT in a hurry?!?

> It might have helped if you'd told the woman helping you that YOU were
> in a hurry when you first spoke to her.
>
> But the real problem here is bad line management by the bank. The
> bank should not open a window, inside or out, unless it's going to
> have its own dedicated employee serving it. Or to put it another
> way: once the clerk started to see you, she should not have been
> allowed to go help a drive-thru customer until you were done.
>
> > So was it MFFY, or not? -Dave

> Yes, but on the bank management's part. Drive-thrus are all about
> having priority, and it's reasonable on the driver's part to expect
> it.

That's an interesting take on the situation. I always thought the
drive-thrus were all about laziness. That is, some people don't want
to get out of their cars to conduct their business. It's more about
convenience for the customer, rather than those who choose to drive
must be more important or some such. I never saw it as a "priority"
thing. -Dave

--
Dave C. >
Old November 14th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
John David Galt

Old November 15th 09, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Nov 14, 2:27*pm, John David Galt >
wrote:
> Dave C. wrote:
> > My initial reaction? *I got ****ed because someone else said that
> > they were in a hurry. *Like all the people in the bank who got there
> > before she did were NOT in a hurry?!?

> It might have helped if you'd told the woman helping you that YOU were
> in a hurry when you first spoke to her.
>
> But the real problem here is bad line management by the bank. *The bank
> should not open a window, inside or out, unless it's going to have its
> own dedicated employee serving it.

From the OP it sounds like they did have an employee assigned to
window duty.

*Or to put it another way: once the
> clerk started to see you, she should not have been allowed to go help a
> drive-thru customer until you were done.

In which case Dave would have been delayed even longer. The clerk,
not being busy at the time, served him and only interrupted service to
take care of her assigned duty. Without that Dave would have had to
wait inline at a busy window.

Old November 15th 09, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Nov 14, 8:08*am, "Dave C." > wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:27:14 -0800
> John David Galt > wrote:
>

> > Dave C. wrote:
> > > My initial reaction? *I got ****ed because someone else said that
> > > they were in a hurry. *Like all the people in the bank who got there
> > > before she did were NOT in a hurry?!?

> > It might have helped if you'd told the woman helping you that YOU were
> > in a hurry when you first spoke to her.

> > But the real problem here is bad line management by the bank. *The
> > bank should not open a window, inside or out, unless it's going to
> > have its own dedicated employee serving it. *Or to put it another
> > way: once the clerk started to see you, she should not have been
> > allowed to go help a drive-thru customer until you were done.

> > > So was it MFFY, or not? *-Dave *

> > Yes, but on the bank management's part. *Drive-thrus are all about
> > having priority, and it's reasonable on the driver's part to expect
> > it.

> That's an interesting take on the situation. *I always thought the
> drive-thrus were all about laziness. *That is, some people don't want
> to get out of their cars to conduct their business. *It's more about
> convenience for the customer, rather than those who choose to drive
> must be more important or some such. *I never saw it as a "priority"
> thing. -Dave
>
> --
> Dave C. >- Hide quoted text -

The only "priority" that should be in effect is whatever the windo
tellers job description calls for. Dunno if it is 'window first' or
'wait their turn' at that bank. In this small town, the window teller
and nearest teller station appears to be a 'wait your turn' be it a
car or a customer. I have been on both ends of it.

Harry K
Old November 17th 09, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larrybud

John David Galt > wrote in
:

> Dave C. wrote:
>> My initial reaction? I got ****ed because someone else said
>> that they were in a hurry. Like all the people in the bank who
>> got there before she did were NOT in a hurry?!?

> It might have helped if you'd told the woman helping you that
> YOU were in a hurry when you first spoke to her.
>
> But the real problem here is bad line management by the bank.
> The bank should not open a window, inside or out, unless it's
> going to have its own dedicated employee serving it.

I think they handled the situtation properly. The drive thru clerk
would otherwise have just stood there, doing nothing, waiting for
customer. She did the polite thing and open the window to help the
OP out.
Old November 18th 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Nov 17, 7:58*pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
> Last time on rec.autos.driving, Larrybud >
> said:
>

> >John David Galt > wrote in
> :

> >> It might have helped if you'd told the woman helping you that
> >> YOU were in a hurry when you first spoke to her.

> >> But the real problem here is bad line management by the bank.
> >> The bank should not open a window, inside or out, unless it's
> >> going to have its own dedicated employee serving it.

> >I think they handled the situtation properly. *The drive thru clerk
> >would otherwise have just stood there, doing nothing, waiting for
> >customer. *She did the polite thing and open the window to help the
> >OP out.

> Fair enough. However, once she started helping the OP, she should
> *finish* helping him, not drop him like a hot potato just because
> someone pulled up to the drive-through window.- Hide quoted text -

So you think she should have ignored her assigned duty?

Harry K
Old November 18th 09, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Nov 17, 9:29*pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
> Last time on rec.autos.driving, Harry K >
> said:
>

> >On Nov 17, 7:58*pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
> >> Last time on rec.autos.driving, Larrybud >

> >> :

> >> Fair enough. However, once she started helping the OP, she should
> >> *finish* helping him, not drop him like a hot potato just because
> >> someone pulled up to the drive-through window.- Hide quoted text -

> >So you think she should have ignored her assigned duty?

> What's wrong with telling the woman at the drive-up window "I'll be
> right with you just as soon as I finish helping this customer WHO GOT
> HERE BEFORE YOU DID?"- Hide quoted text -

Ummm...priority? She is assigned to take care of the window
customers. Any "inside" work comes after that. I have been on in the
same situation, being waited on inside by the window teller who
apologized that she had to take care of the window when a customer
showed up.

It would, of course, depend on the bank policy. My bank apparently
has one that says "window first".

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers again by pointing out something you
would rather not agree with.

Harry K