Mont. jury awards $850,000 in aluminum bat lawsuit

Old November 4th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh.talk.politics.misc
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Default Mont. jury awards $850,000 in aluminum bat lawsuit

So why don't the auto-makers get sued when an innocent person is killed by
a speeder driving a car the auto-maker DESIGNED to go twice the legal speed
limit??????????????

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gZ-
75KV1MbPOb898NAuCI8oG1urAD9BKFQ4O9

Mont. jury awards $850,000 in aluminum bat lawsuit

By MATT GOURAS (AP) – 6 days ago

HELENA, Mont. — A jury on Wednesday found that the maker of Louisville
Slugger baseball bats failed to adequately warn about the dangers the
product can pose, awarding a family $850,000 for the 2003 death of their
son in a baseball game.

The family of Brandon Patch argued that aluminum baseball bats are
dangerous because they cause the baseball to travel at a greater speed.
They contended that their 18-year-old son did not have enough time to react
to the ball being struck before it hit him in the head while he was
pitching in an American Legion baseball game in Helena in 2003.

The Lewis and Clark County District Court jury awarded a total of $850,000
in damages against Louisville, Ky.,-based Hillerich & Bradsby for failure
to place warnings on the product.

(snip)
Old November 4th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.misc
lorad

On Nov 4, 12:32*pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS"
> wrote:
> So why don't the auto-makers *get sued when an innocent person is killed by *
> a speeder driving a car the auto-maker DESIGNED to go twice the legal speed
> limit??????????????
>
> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gZ-
> 75KV1MbPOb898NAuCI8oG1urAD9BKFQ4O9
>
> Mont. jury awards $850,000 in aluminum bat lawsuit
>
> By MATT GOURAS (AP) – 6 days ago
>
> HELENA, Mont. — A jury on Wednesday found that the maker of Louisville
> Slugger baseball bats failed to adequately warn about the dangers the
> product can pose, awarding a family $850,000 for the 2003 death of their
> son in a baseball game.
>
> The family of Brandon Patch argued that aluminum baseball bats are
> dangerous because they cause the baseball to travel at a greater speed.
> They contended that their 18-year-old son did not have enough time to react
> to the ball being struck before it hit him in the head while he was
> pitching in an American Legion baseball game in Helena in 2003.
>
> The Lewis and Clark County District Court jury awarded a total of $850,000
> in damages against Louisville, Ky.,-based Hillerich & Bradsby for failure
> to place warnings on the product.
>
> (snip)

Another idiot ruling..by a jury of idiots.
Sorry about the kid... but when anyone *choses* to do something, it's
their responsibility.

Old November 4th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh.talk.politics.misc
elmer

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> So why don't the auto-makers get sued when an innocent person is killed by
> a speeder driving a car the auto-maker DESIGNED to go twice the legal speed
> limit??????????????
>
> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gZ-
> 75KV1MbPOb898NAuCI8oG1urAD9BKFQ4O9
>
> Mont. jury awards $850,000 in aluminum bat lawsuit
>
> By MATT GOURAS (AP) ? 6 days ago
>
> HELENA, Mont. ? A jury on Wednesday found that the maker of Louisville
> Slugger baseball bats failed to adequately warn about the dangers the
> product can pose, awarding a family $850,000 for the 2003 death of their
> son in a baseball game.
>
> The family of Brandon Patch argued that aluminum baseball bats are
> dangerous because they cause the baseball to travel at a greater speed.
> They contended that their 18-year-old son did not have enough time to react
> to the ball being struck before it hit him in the head while he was
> pitching in an American Legion baseball game in Helena in 2003.
>
> The Lewis and Clark County District Court jury awarded a total of $850,000
> in damages against Louisville, Ky.,-based Hillerich & Bradsby for failure
> to place warnings on the product.
>
> (snip)

There is no way this is right.
The Judge just figured Louisville had enough money that they could
afford to give the Kid's Parents a little.
Perhaps their Lawyer talked them into suing. Probably they just saw that
others had pursued riches this way and won. The death, of their son, to
justify their greed.
Old November 4th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh.talk.politics.misc
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 14:32:03 -0600, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS > wrote:

>So why don't the auto-makers get sued when an innocent person is killed by
>a speeder driving a car the auto-maker DESIGNED to go twice the legal speed
>limit??????????????

What the **** is your major malfunction? Would you prefer cars that
rattle themselves off the road at 75% of your precious legal speed
limit?

Old November 5th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

elmer > wrote in :

> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>> So why don't the auto-makers get sued when an innocent person is
>> killed by a speeder driving a car the auto-maker DESIGNED to go
>> twice the legal speed limit??????????????
>>
>> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gZ-
>> 75KV1MbPOb898NAuCI8oG1urAD9BKFQ4O9
>>
>> Mont. jury awards $850,000 in aluminum bat lawsuit
>>
>> By MATT GOURAS (AP) ? 6 days ago
>>
>> HELENA, Mont. ? A jury on Wednesday found that the maker of
>> Louisville Slugger baseball bats failed to adequately warn about the
>> dangers the product can pose, awarding a family $850,000 for the 2003
>> death of their son in a baseball game.
>>
>> The family of Brandon Patch argued that aluminum baseball bats are
>> dangerous because they cause the baseball to travel at a greater
>> speed. They contended that their 18-year-old son did not have enough
>> time to react to the ball being struck before it hit him in the head
>> while he was pitching in an American Legion baseball game in Helena
>> in 2003.
>>
>> The Lewis and Clark County District Court jury awarded a total of
>> $850,000 in damages against Louisville, Ky.,-based Hillerich &
>> Bradsby for failure to place warnings on the product.
>>
>> (snip)

> There is no way this is right.

it's not.

> The Judge just figured Louisville had enough money that they could
> afford to give the Kid's Parents a little.
> Perhaps their Lawyer talked them into suing. Probably they just saw
> that others had pursued riches this way and won. The death, of their
> son, to justify their greed.

wait until the appeals are finished.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 5th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh.talk.politics.misc

elmer > wrote in :

>> (snip)

> There is no way this is right.
> The Judge just figured Louisville had enough money that they could
> afford to give the Kid's Parents a little.
> Perhaps their Lawyer talked them into suing. Probably they just saw
> that others had pursued riches this way and won. The death, of their
> son, to justify their greed.

I doubt if they see much of this money. The defendant will appeal and drag
the matter out for years and the family will finally settle for maybe
$5000.
Old November 5th 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.misc
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

AZ Nomad > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 14:32:03 -0600, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
> MURDERERS > wrote:
>

>>So why don't the auto-makers get sued when an innocent person is
>>killed by a speeder driving a car the auto-maker DESIGNED to go twice
>>the legal speed limit??????????????

> What the **** is your major malfunction? Would you prefer cars that
> rattle themselves off the road at 75% of your precious legal speed
> limit?

HUH??? Do you even understand the issue i raised?
Old November 5th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Nov 4, 8:17*pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS"
> wrote:
> elmer > wrote :
>
> >> (snip)

> > There is no way this is right.
> > The Judge just figured Louisville had enough money that they could
> > afford to give the Kid's Parents a little.
> > Perhaps their Lawyer talked them into suing. Probably they just saw
> > that others had pursued riches this way and won. The death, of their
> > son, to justify their greed.

> I doubt if they see much of this money. *The defendant will appeal and drag
> the matter out for years and the family will finally settle for maybe
> $5000.

And the lawyers will take 1/2 of whatever they do get.

Harry K
Old November 5th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh.talk.politics.misc
Dave C.[_4_]

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 14:32:03 -0600
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote:

> So why don't the auto-makers get sued when an innocent person is
> killed by a speeder driving a car the auto-maker DESIGNED to go twice
> the legal speed limit??????????????
>
> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gZ-
> 75KV1MbPOb898NAuCI8oG1urAD9BKFQ4O9
>
> Mont. jury awards $850,000 in aluminum bat lawsuit
>
> By MATT GOURAS (AP) – 6 days ago
>
> HELENA, Mont. — A jury on Wednesday found that the maker of
> Louisville Slugger baseball bats failed to adequately warn about the
> dangers the product can pose, awarding a family $850,000 for the 2003
> death of their son in a baseball game.
>
> The family of Brandon Patch argued that aluminum baseball bats are
> dangerous because they cause the baseball to travel at a greater
> speed. They contended that their 18-year-old son did not have enough
> time to react to the ball being struck before it hit him in the head
> while he was pitching in an American Legion baseball game in Helena
> in 2003.
>
> The Lewis and Clark County District Court jury awarded a total of
> $850,000 in damages against Louisville, Ky.,-based Hillerich &
> Bradsby for failure to place warnings on the product.
>
> (snip)

A baseball player (and a pitcher, no less) was surprised that a baseball
will be propelled quickly by the bat of an experienced hitter?!?

OMG, this is the new "coffee is hot" jury award.

I guess next someone is going to sue because someone didn't warn them
that the ladder they were climbing would allow them to reach a height
of 15 feet off the ground?

Or maybe someone will sue the parks department because they were not
warned that it was possible to drown in a lake.

Where does it end? -Dave
Old November 5th 09, 07:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
richard

wrote:

> So why don't the auto-makers get sued when an innocent person is killed by
> a speeder driving a car the auto-maker DESIGNED to go twice the legal speed
> limit??????????????
>
> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gZ-
> 75KV1MbPOb898NAuCI8oG1urAD9BKFQ4O9

Ever watch a baseball game? Ever seen a ball batted directly back to the
pitcher? You have under a second to react even with wood bats.

I disagree with the jury. It is not the responsibility of the manufacturer
to place warning labels on the bats. As the law of physics will cause the
game to be as dangerous regardless of warnings.

What if a runner steps on the hands of another player? Is the shoe
manufacturer to be sued for negligence to warn of injuries?

Perhaps we need laws stating that 80% of all awards goes directly to the
plaintiffs. Then aspiring ambulance chasing lawyers won't be so quick to
file a suit and charge his high fees.