*How to for a U Joint.....*

Old April 22nd 05, 03:35 AM
Brian

Default *How to for a U Joint.....*

Hi, changing a front end u joint the right side. 1st time doing this. Before
i go ahead start this weekend thought I would ask if anyone has a good "How
to" step by step web page or anything else? So I might make quicker,safer
work of this task. Although I have help, I have been told if I do this wrong
the results could be disastrous. :-|

Any advice would be welcome and appreciated......

-Brian
91 YJ 4.0

o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯ )_)

Old April 22nd 05, 03:46 AM
RoyJ

Bill H will likely chime in with a web site that is pretty through on
how to do it. Only problem is that he lives in the southwest where ice,
snow, RAIN, and 10,000 salt trucks don't darken his doorstep. If you
live north, the hub will be a real stinker to get loose from the
steering knuckle.

Lot of choices in how to get it out, mine is to jack the front end up
HIGH, (use 6 ton jack stands to get it up high enough), use a BFH from
directly undneath. YMMV

Old April 22nd 05, 03:52 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Brian,
Usually you'll find the hub a little rusted in, use penetrating
fluid, some like to leave one the bolts in, just back it off enough to
persuade it with a BMFH. I use a paint scraper and drive it in-between
the knuckle and hub:
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...97andSeals.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 22nd 05, 05:43 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

I JUST did this, had a "took took" sound.

rent a slide hammer, It was a lot of grunting to get the hub out.....

link.net...

Old April 22nd 05, 05:50 PM
Mike Romain

Wow!

You managed to get the hub out in one piece with a slap hammer!!!????

Crap man, those are sealed hubs and normally pull apart into pieces way
before the spindle is going to move.

Or can/did you do it leaving the axle nut in place and slap the whole
works out?

I use a sacrificial bolt and cut the wheels one way then the other so I
can hammer it out from behind.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 22nd 05, 06:28 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

I shouldn't say this....I used an air chissel...got it out far enough I
could use a BFH from the front. I managed to destroy one of the bolt holes
in assembly the with the chissel which I had to fix. The guy that changed
them last time, whenever that was, managed to bend the yoke enough that it
required some force and ignorance to make it work. Wasn't a fun job...im not
the best wrencher but I'll try anything. Learned that I don't like changing
those u-joints though....

Old April 22nd 05, 06:46 PM
Rusted

Harbor Freight sells a U-Joint tool kit, sure is easier that using a 3/4"
deep socket and a BFH.

They go on sale now and they for $19.99, good for the shop and for trail
repairs. Also here is a link to a little better quality tool.

http://rockcrawler.com/techreports/ujointtool/index.asp

link.net...

Old April 22nd 05, 06:55 PM
Dave Milne

Looks like the ujointtool guy is out of business - seemed a neat tool too

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
.. .

Old April 22nd 05, 08:15 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ditto.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 23rd 05, 03:43 AM
Brian

Thank you all :-) Fantastic info. I will be doing this 4/30-31 and will post
what happens. Glad i have a motorcycle esp with gas prices...

o_o_o_o

link.net...