Timing belt question

Old May 8th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MYOFB

Default Timing belt question

"Mal Osborne" > wrote in message

> "Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
>> Zog The Undeniable > wrote:

>>>The biggest risk is that it fails halfway through an overtaking
>>>manoeuvre. However, and for reasons I don't understand, the Miata/MX-5
>>>belts normally fail when the engine is first fired up.

>> The rubber is harder when the belt is cold?
>>
>> Leon
>> --
>>

> Also oil is cold & more viscious.

Maybe just me, but I hate when my oil gets viscious.

Old May 11th 07, 10:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
J Brockley

"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> zenmartini wrote:
>> I know the timing belt is supposed to be replaced at 60k. My 2000 is
>> at 75k but the belt is in good condition... no nicks etc. Money is
>> tight at the moment... how much longer can I go before this has to be
>> replaced... I know that I'll be stuck wherever I am but there is no
>> damage that can occur right?
>>

> The biggest risk is that it fails halfway through an overtaking manoeuvre.
> However, and for reasons I don't understand, the Miata/MX-5 belts normally
> fail when the engine is first fired up.

Inertia. The two I had fail (not in MX5) occurred at startup and in one case
when warm. I guess when started there is a sudden change in lateral tension
on the teeth from nothing to something high before it calms down and
everything gets moving. I guess the only other time the rate of change is
approached is when you put your foot down hard.

Old May 12th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

"J Brockley" > wrote:

>"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
>> zenmartini wrote:
>>> I know the timing belt is supposed to be replaced at 60k. My 2000 is
>>> at 75k but the belt is in good condition... no nicks etc. Money is
>>> tight at the moment... how much longer can I go before this has to be
>>> replaced... I know that I'll be stuck wherever I am but there is no
>>> damage that can occur right?
>>>

>> The biggest risk is that it fails halfway through an overtaking manoeuvre.
>> However, and for reasons I don't understand, the Miata/MX-5 belts normally
>> fail when the engine is first fired up.

>Inertia. The two I had fail (not in MX5) occurred at startup and in one case
>when warm. I guess when started there is a sudden change in lateral tension
>on the teeth from nothing to something high before it calms down and
>everything gets moving. I guess the only other time the rate of change is
>approached is when you put your foot down hard.

Did they fail when you were cranking the engine or when it started?

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old May 13th 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
cramer

Thank you all; I replaced it at 60k but now that it's 136k, I
think it's not worth replacing for the rest of the car's life
(unless the water pump goes)
Old May 13th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

cramer wrote:
> Thank you all; I replaced it at 60k but now that it's 136k, I think
> it's not worth replacing for the rest of the car's life (unless the
> water pump goes)

Not for the rest of the car's life? Heck, that baby's just barely
broken in at this point. We've got a couple members in our local club
that have over 250,000 miles on their Miatas.

Unless you're planning on blowing up the engine or destroying the car
in an accident, I'd re-think that position.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old May 14th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Iva" > wrote:

> cramer wrote:
>> Thank you all; I replaced it at 60k but now that it's 136k, I
>> think it's not worth replacing for the rest of the car's life
>> (unless the water pump goes)

> Not for the rest of the car's life? Heck, that baby's just barely
> broken in at this point. We've got a couple members in our local
> club that have over 250,000 miles on their Miatas.
>
> Unless you're planning on blowing up the engine or destroying the
> car in an accident, I'd re-think that position.

I agree but maybe when he says, "the rest of the car's life" he means
"as long as I'll own the car?"

I'm wondering if maybe he's got an idea there? I have a towing service
card, a cell phone and the Miata is a non-interference engine, maybe
it's less expensive to just let the belt break and then get towed to a
shop? I don't think I'd do that but.....

Old May 14th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mal Osborne

"XS11E" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Iva" > wrote:
>
>> cramer wrote:
>>> Thank you all; I replaced it at 60k but now that it's 136k, I
>>> think it's not worth replacing for the rest of the car's life
>>> (unless the water pump goes)

>> Not for the rest of the car's life? Heck, that baby's just barely
>> broken in at this point. We've got a couple members in our local
>> club that have over 250,000 miles on their Miatas.
>>
>> Unless you're planning on blowing up the engine or destroying the
>> car in an accident, I'd re-think that position.

> I agree but maybe when he says, "the rest of the car's life" he means
> "as long as I'll own the car?"
>
> I'm wondering if maybe he's got an idea there? I have a towing service
> card, a cell phone and the Miata is a non-interference engine, maybe
> it's less expensive to just let the belt break and then get towed to a
> shop? I don't think I'd do that but.....

And if it happens to break on Saturday night in the crack-house district?

Old May 14th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-05-13, Mal Osborne > wrote:

>> I'm wondering if maybe he's got an idea there? I have a towing service
>> card, a cell phone and the Miata is a non-interference engine, maybe
>> it's less expensive to just let the belt break and then get towed to a
>> shop? I don't think I'd do that but.....

> And if it happens to break on Saturday night in the crack-house district?

People with Miatas don't hang around the crack-house district
on Saturday nights.

--
Grant Edwards

Old May 14th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Mal Osborne" > wrote:

> "XS11E" > wrote in message
> .. .

>> I'm wondering if maybe he's got an idea there? I have a towing
>> service card, a cell phone and the Miata is a non-interference
>> engine, maybe it's less expensive to just let the belt break and
>> then get towed to a shop? I don't think I'd do that but.....
>>

> And if it happens to break on Saturday night in the crack-house
> district?

Can't. She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't let me go to the crack-house
district. <sigh>

Old May 14th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

> >> I'm wondering if maybe he's got an idea there? I have a towing service
> >> card, a cell phone and the Miata is a non-interference engine, maybe
> >> it's less expensive to just let the belt break and then get towed to a
> >> shop? I don't think I'd do that but.....

> > And if it happens to break on Saturday night in the crack-house

district?

> People with Miatas don't hang around the crack-house district
> on Saturday nights.

I've heard that Lesbian or Transgendered drivers will often drive near
crack-house districts, but not for proximity to crack. Saturday nights show
a 73rd percentile comparative to mean of other days of the week. (Not true
for Gay or Bisexual drivers tho.)

C'mon funding, c'mon funding...

miker

78 VW Rabbit Diesel TIming Belt/Injector Timing Question JH VW water cooled 13 August 5th 06 02:57 AM
Another timing belt question Dave Smith Mazda 15 April 14th 06 02:29 AM
16V timing belt question Rick VW water cooled 0 October 23rd 05 02:14 AM
timing belt question... qslim Honda 1 November 15th 04 03:20 AM
98 Jetta: timing belt question-non-interference?/transmission fluid question Ben867-5309 VW water cooled 1 October 20th 04 03:53 PM