Carmax rip off - - Carmax is selling damaged cars.

Old February 17th 04, 03:47 PM
Ron

Default Carmax rip off - - Carmax is selling damaged cars.

Hi Folks,

I bought a lexus'02 from carmax in Fort Worth, TX on 02/07/2004(9 days
ago). At the time of purchase, salesman told that there was no
accident or no work was done on the car. As of yesterday, I figured
out the right fender was repaired and repainted. I went back to Carmax
and told them about this. They checked repair history and this repair
was even there (So they knew the car was damaged and carmax did work
on it). But now these guys are not ready to return/negotiate the car
because it is over 5 days of return policy (btw today is my 10th day).
According to them it was a minor problem. It could be a minor problem
for them but not for me. I have spent 30K on this car while the new
car is just 32K-33K.

Please let me know what I can do to deal with these guys?

~Ron.
Old February 17th 04, 03:59 PM
JR

Ron,
Call your local TV station and talk to their "consumer" or troubleshooter
reporter, let them put it on the tube, Carmax would hate the bad publicity
and will make it right. Works for us here in Central NC.
JR

Old February 17th 04, 07:42 PM
Ron

Thanks JR, this would be a lot more helpful, for sure.

I am currently in talk with their corporate office. I hope the things
would be straighten up.

Anyone has more to say about this, just in case.

Old February 17th 04, 08:06 PM
Nigel Reed

Ron > wrote:
> for them but not for me. I have spent 30K on this car while the new
> car is just 32K-33K.

What I can't understand is why you'd pay 30K on a car if a brand new one
is 32K and would lose about 3-4K as soon as you drive it off the lot
anyway.

Regards
Nigel

--
http://www.sysadmininc.com (My daytime job)
Member of the Dallas Better Business Bureau and Plano Chamber of Commerce

http://www.british-expats.com (My spare time)

Old February 18th 04, 04:38 AM
LNB4

"Nigel Reed" > wrote in
message ...
> Ron > wrote:
> > for them but not for me. I have spent 30K on this car while the new
> > car is just 32K-33K.

> What I can't understand is why you'd pay 30K on a car if a brand new

one
> is 32K and would lose about 3-4K as soon as you drive it off the lot
> anyway.
>
> Regards
> Nigel

That's what I noticed.

CarMax is the worst of both worlds - you don't get the low prices of the
hiway used lots, but you don't get the push of dealing with a new car
dealer, who has to keep his manufacturer happy and hates bad publicity.
CarMax is a huge company, though. Maybe it's a franchise and the guy's
good-standing is at-risk. Write hardcopy letters and cc: the BBB, any
lending regulatory, and the papers and TV stations. I've done that with
good results from a bank.

Get your banker on-board. Threaten to just walk away from the loan --
just park the thing at the bank and drop the keys on your loan officer's
desk. I've done that before; it did some good. The dealer and banker
both gave me money to make-up for a bad sales contract.

Don't expect to undo the deal - just righteously demand the difference
in value - get an appraisal. If the difference is more than his profit,
maybe he'll offer to undo the deal!

If a painted fender is the worst you suffer, call yourself lucky. It's a
buyer beware world -- it could have been LOTS worse.

Old February 18th 04, 04:46 AM
LNB4

"Ron" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I bought a lexus'02 from carmax in Fort Worth, TX on 02/07/2004(9 days
> ago). At the time of purchase, salesman told that there was no
> accident or no work was done on the car. As of yesterday, I figured
> out the right fender was repaired and repainted. I went back to Carmax
> and told them about this. They checked repair history and this repair
> was even there (So they knew the car was damaged and carmax did work
> on it). But now these guys are not ready to return/negotiate the car
> because it is over 5 days of return policy (btw today is my 10th day).
> According to them it was a minor problem. It could be a minor problem
> for them but not for me. I have spent 30K on this car while the new
> car is just 32K-33K.
>
> Please let me know what I can do to deal with these guys?
>

> ~Ron.

Just to tell you what is now painfully obvious; You should have:
1. Got the "no body work" promise in writing (I know it sounds stupid,
but I almost got burned on the verbal "'course not!" before.
2. Bought a "certified" used Lex from a Lex dealer
3. If you're within 3 grand and 'need' a Lexus, why pinch?
4. Bought a used Beemer.

Old February 18th 04, 05:03 AM
HandyMan

CarFax - Don't think for a minute that all repairs will
show up on CarFax report. I sold a 2001 TranAm last year
that had been almost totaled several times, but the CarFax
report was clean as a whistle; and that was with $14000 of
repair at a Pontiac dealership.

(Steve) wrote:

> >I hate Carmax. My experience with them is that they offer

little or no
> >warranties on their vehicles, plus you can always get one

cheaper by
> >buying from a private party (you have to know what you're

doing &
> >trust that the car is reliable, though).

> Ever hear of LemonBusters? They'll drive over to the

potential
> purchase in their nice yellow van and do all sorts of

diagnostics, all
> for a very reasonable fee.
>
> Also, CarFax is a useful service when purchasing a used

vehicle.