Passat won't start

Old December 22nd 04, 03:54 PM
Tado

Default Passat won't start

dave wrote:
>>From: Tado
>>Date: 12/22/04 9:08 AM Central Standard Time
>>
>>I live in the cold canadian prairies and my 99 Passat 1.8T
>>was working fine up until yesterday. I went to start it and
>>and it started for 5 secs then stopped. after that, it would
>>not start again. It rotates with some decent power and I can
>>here it firing a little, but just will not start. I have tried
>>boosting it with cables and still not luck, sounds like it wants
>>to start, just wont. Not sure if this is related to the cold or
>>not, I cannot plug in a block heater like most people have but
>>I don't normally use one anyways. Anybody have any ideas what
>>to check??
>>
>>TIA
>>Darren
>>

> frozen fuel lines? maybe some ice in there?
>
> later,
> dave
> (One out of many Daves)

Thats what I was thinking, but my other car (honda) I do not run any
gasline antifreeze in it and its lines with freeze also if that was
the case, just guessing?
I guess its too late to put in gasline antifreeze now, as it needs
to be run through
Old December 22nd 04, 05:25 PM
Woodchuck

How many miles on the timing belt? They are most prone to fail when it's
cold and the oil is thick. Other than that, maybe it's flooded, if so a new
set of spark plugs would tell.

Old December 22nd 04, 05:25 PM
Woodchuck

Old December 22nd 04, 06:06 PM
Tado

There is about 100,000km on the current timing belt, planning on
changing itthis spring. If it was broken, I would notice and not hear
the engine giving the occasional fire right? Any recommendation on type
of plugs if I try and change those?
Thanks again

Old December 22nd 04, 06:06 PM
Tado

Old December 23rd 04, 01:44 PM
Tado

Woodchuck wrote:
> How many miles on the timing belt? They are most prone to fail when it's
> cold and the oil is thick. Other than that, maybe it's flooded, if so a new
> set of spark plugs would tell.
>
> "Tado" > wrote in message
>
>>I live in the cold canadian prairies and my 99 Passat 1.8T
>>was working fine up until yesterday. I went to start it and
>>and it started for 5 secs then stopped. after that, it would
>>not start again. It rotates with some decent power and I can
>>here it firing a little, but just will not start. I have tried
>>boosting it with cables and still not luck, sounds like it wants
>>to start, just wont. Not sure if this is related to the cold or
>>not, I cannot plug in a block heater like most people have but
>>I don't normally use one anyways. Anybody have any ideas what
>>to check??
>>
>>TIA
>>Darren

Well I changed the spark plugs and gave it a good boost, got it started
after that, thanks! The old sparkplugs had some oil on them and smelled
of fuel, wonder what caused that initially?
Thanks again,
Darren
Old December 23rd 04, 01:44 PM
Tado

Old December 23rd 04, 04:38 PM
Woodchuck

Sometimes if the engine doesn't "fire" off quickly it floods. I know the
manual says not to push the gas pedal but I always do when it's very cold
out. About a inch is all that's needed to get some additional air in the
engine while starting.

Old December 23rd 04, 04:38 PM
Woodchuck