More stupidity

Old April 13th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey

Default More stupidity

There's a little shopping center that I sometimes find myself in.

The main road you can exit (or enter) from has a dedicated acceleration
lane block with a big solid white line.

Quite often, I find myself stuck behind someone sitting at the stop sign
waiting for the 2 traffic lanes to completely clear out before they
move. (It's right turn only - there is a median).

Their goal must be to let enough traffic pass so that they miss the
light, which they always do - and make me miss it too.

Inevitably, these idiots wait until there's no traffic coming from the
left and immediately drive over the solid white line. Quite often, they
find that I have successfully used the acceleration lane and end up in
front of them (it's quite long to allow traffic exitting the shopping
center to reach the 45 speed limit).
Old April 13th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

On Apr 12, 8:21 pm, "Fred G. Mackey" > wrote:
> There's a little shopping center that I sometimes find myself in.
>
> The main road you can exit (or enter) from has a dedicated acceleration
> lane block with a big solid white line.
>
> Quite often, I find myself stuck behind someone sitting at the stop sign
> waiting for the 2 traffic lanes to completely clear out before they
> move. (It's right turn only - there is a median).
>
> Their goal must be to let enough traffic pass so that they miss the
> light, which they always do - and make me miss it too.
>
> Inevitably, these idiots wait until there's no traffic coming from the
> left and immediately drive over the solid white line. Quite often, they
> find that I have successfully used the acceleration lane and end up in
> front of them (it's quite long to allow traffic exitting the shopping
> center to reach the 45 speed limit).

Wow, you're managed to get ahead of someone at the light, quite the
accomplishment.

People's perceptions of when it is safe to GO varies. I don't suppose
you'd consider since it happens to you often enough to make note of it
that it's your perception that might be askew, maybe not in line with
the 85th percentile?

If you feel that one long light makes a radical difference in your
travel time might I suggest that you might be in too much of a hurry?
Seems to me since it's such a long light you're going to catch it red
more often than not anyway.

Drivers in less of a hurry are nothing unusual, dealing with that is
just part of driving. If slow traffic is a problem for you, most
often it's you trying to go too fast that is creating the "problem".
-----

- gpsman

Old April 13th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey

gpsman wrote:
> On Apr 12, 8:21 pm, "Fred G. Mackey" > wrote:
>
>>There's a little shopping center that I sometimes find myself in.
>>
>>The main road you can exit (or enter) from has a dedicated acceleration
>>lane block with a big solid white line.
>>
>>Quite often, I find myself stuck behind someone sitting at the stop sign
>>waiting for the 2 traffic lanes to completely clear out before they
>>move. (It's right turn only - there is a median).
>>
>>Their goal must be to let enough traffic pass so that they miss the
>>light, which they always do - and make me miss it too.
>>
>>Inevitably, these idiots wait until there's no traffic coming from the
>>left and immediately drive over the solid white line. Quite often, they
>>find that I have successfully used the acceleration lane and end up in
>>front of them (it's quite long to allow traffic exitting the shopping
>>center to reach the 45 speed limit).

> Wow, you're managed to get ahead of someone at the light, quite the
> accomplishment.

That wasn't the point - the point was that they're so slothy that I am
able to get in front of them.

> People's perceptions of when it is safe to GO varies.

Obviously - This is a small town (120,000 or so). Can you imagine if
people had this type of perception in a large city? Hell, they would be
sitting at that stop sign all day long.

> I don't suppose
> you'd consider since it happens to you often enough to make note of it
> that it's your perception that might be askew, maybe not in line with
> the 85th percentile?

No - it does happen enough that I often do exit the parking lot from the
side street, though that's a pain because the lights are timed so that
it really is hard to get a break from both the right and the left. (I
have to make a left - or go straight - if I go that way).

If you have to wait for 3 lanes of traffic to clear, one of which is
protected, before you make a right turn, there is something wrong with
the way you drive.

> If you feel that one long light makes a radical difference in your
> travel time might I suggest that you might be in too much of a hurry?

Pardon me for not wanting to waste time. Note that this doesn't drive
me into a rage - it's just annoying that there are such incompetent
drivers with which I have to share the raod.

> Seems to me since it's such a long light you're going to catch it red
> more often than not anyway.

I never said it was a long light. As it happens, I'd estimate I catch
it on the green 60-70% of the time. The reason the too-scared-to-merge
drivers cause me to catch it on a red is that they wait until the light
to our left turns red and traffic clears.

> Drivers in less of a hurry are nothing unusual,

True.

> dealing with that is
> just part of driving.

Dealing with it doesn't mean I can't bring it up on this newsgroup.
Last I checked, this ng was about driving.

> If slow traffic is a problem for you,

I was talking about stopped traffic - not slow traffic.

But now that you mention it, it's quite rare that people actually drive
the speed limit on this stretch of road.

> most
> often it's you trying to go too fast that is creating the "problem".

What problem am I creating?

Old April 13th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Garth Almgren

Around 4/12/2007 9:49 PM, Fred G. Mackey wrote:

> gpsman wrote:
>
>> most
>> often it's you trying to go too fast that is creating the "problem".

> What problem am I creating?

More to the point, how is being at a dead stop while waiting for an
idiot to decide it's safe to move "going too fast"?

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old April 14th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Drunken Driver

Fred G. Mackey wrote:
>Their goal must be to let enough traffic pass so that they miss the
>light, which they always do - and make me miss it too.

Relish in the knowledge that most likely these individuals will due to
their ignorance, leaving behind a family of mourners saying "why?"

BWAHAHAHAHA.

--

Ask me about drunk driving for fun and profit!

A nice .CMD for the group's spammers, for the broadband based regulars (requires wget):

:loop
@wget -m http://fat-pussy.aileenkeith.com/
@rd /s /q fat-pussy.aileenkeith.com
goto loop
Old April 14th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Drunken Driver

Drunken Driver wrote:
>Relish in the knowledge that most likely these individuals will due to
>their ignorance, leaving behind a family of mourners saying "why?"
>
>BWAHAHAHAHA.

should read "will DIE due to their"