I just got my G25!

Old November 27th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default I just got my G25!

Larry wrote:
> I have one other minor gripe. Whoever designed the cable connection scheme
> must handle snakes for a living. Only that profession could have prepared
> an engineer to create such a stupid design. I have fears the cables aren't
> going to last long.

Short of going to a wireless system how could the cabling be improved?
There are five separate pieces that need to be connected - wheel,
shifter, pedals, power supply, and the computer That requires a
minimum of 4 cables.

The only possible change I can see would be making the pedals the
"base" and putting the wheel and shifter in series from there. The
power and USB connections would connect to the pedals. Would that
really be an improvement?

Pat Dotson

Old November 27th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Loblaw

> the g25 looks real nice, but how hard is the turning ? I broke my wrist
> at work a few months back and have little strength in my dominant hand.
> Moderate pressure causes pain, I am hoping it will get better, but it
> seems little improved since the cast came off 6 months ago. I drive my
> ms ff sidewinder always "loose" or free turning, is it possible to
> enable a free turning mode with the g25 ?

You can lower the strenght of the force feedback in the game menus. At 10%
it shouldn't give you any problems.

Old November 27th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Bob Loblaw wrote:

> You can lower the strenght of the force feedback in the game menus. At 10%
> it shouldn't give you any problems.

thank you...I think I'll order one

Old November 28th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

It's very simple, and some company who engineer's add-on's could do this
easily and sell all they could make:

Create a port replicator. Think Laptop...

One end, which would be about a foot long, would connect to all the
connectors under the wheel and would result in one large connector on the
other end.

The other end would connect to all the individual cables, and have a
matching single-connector.

You install the first half on the wheel and leave it in place. it could
even have a base moulded to match the wheel housing, and attach with 3M tape
or something.

Then you just put up the wheel, shifter and connect the one single
connecter.

Done.

IMHO, Logitech should not have put the connectors under the wheel. they
should have all been on the outside, on one side of the housing, for easy
access. As it is now, you have to manipulate the wheel and attach it AFTER
you've made all the connections. This just can't be any good for the
wiring.

And of course it's worse for anyone using a bolt-down setup.

-Larry

oups.com...

Old November 28th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr. Sylvestre

Larry wrote:
> It's very simple, and some company who engineer's add-on's could do this
> easily and sell all they could make:
>
> Create a port replicator. Think Laptop...
>
> One end, which would be about a foot long, would connect to all the
> connectors under the wheel and would result in one large connector on the
> other end.

Looks like a good idea and could also be an easy DIY project: the ports
for the pedals and shifter seem to be standard DB9 (serial) connectors
so getting the parts should not be too hard. The power plug is also
pretty standard. Of course, the number of cables would not be reduced,
but at least most of them could then be hidden behind the desk / monitor
/ computer. And the short pedal cable issue would be solved too. All
this without modifying the original hardware.

Regards,
Mr. Sylvestre
Old November 29th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I've been thinking on it

Two DB9 straight-thru's and a straight-thru for the power would be a good
start.

A logitech rep posted on RSC that the pedal can be extended with a standard
straight-thru db9 extender.

I still say they should have done it right the first time

-Larry