NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality?

Old March 16th 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

Default NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality?

Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
sides.

At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
O'Reilly will be just under $300. These are all using store-branded
parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
case). Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
differences? We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
rubber, not microcontrollers. For all I know they could all be made
by the same contractor.

Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
eBay for under $100. They're generic names, but no more generic
sounding to me than the store brands.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old March 16th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

You might also check Advance auto parts, if there is a store in your
area.Or, http://www.jcwhitney.com
Call their toll free number, ask them to send you a free catalog,
pertaining to your interest.
cuhulin

Old March 16th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

phaeton > wrote in news:5f600c44-5930-41a5-b679-
:

> Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
> front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
> This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
> arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
> sides.
>
> At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
> O'Reilly will be just under $300. These are all using store-branded
> parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
> case). Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
> differences? We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
> rubber, not microcontrollers. For all I know they could all be made
> by the same contractor.
>
> Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
> eBay for under $100. They're generic names, but no more generic
> sounding to me than the store brands.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

more than likely the Ebay stuff is chinese crap. the branded stuff
may or may not be. that is harder to tell. KB

--
THUNDERSNAKE #9

Protect your rights or "Lose" them
The 2nd Admendment guarantees the others

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
Old March 16th 10, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Mar 16, 12:29*pm, phaeton > wrote:
> Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
> front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
> This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
> arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
> sides.
>
> At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
> O'Reilly will be just under $300. *These are all using store-branded
> parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
> case). *Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
> differences? *We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
> rubber, not microcontrollers. *For all I know they could all be made
> by the same contractor.
>
> Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
> eBay for under $100. *They're generic names, but no more generic
> sounding to me than the store brands.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

What's the price for Moog branded parts? I'd feel more comfortable
with those than any "generic" or "store" brand.

yes, these parts are not technically challenging to produce, but if
corners were cut and/or inferior materials were used, the consequences
of failure (esp. a ball joint or tie rod end) are not pretty.

nate
Old March 16th 10, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

People often view NAPA first, Autozone second, and Oreilly last in terms
of dependability and quality. Whether true or not, this is a common feeling
among mechanics and amateurs.

If you buy their cheapest parts, you may get some poor remanufactured
parts in some cases, or even Made in China. Not all China stuff is crap,
but a lot IS.

I have heard that Advance might be a higher level than Autozone but cant
confirm.

You may be able to find some of the online parts stores that can get you
high quality parts at good prices.

Old March 16th 10, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Mar 16, 2:28*pm, "hls" > wrote:
> People often view NAPA first, Autozone second, and Oreilly last in terms
> of dependability and quality. *Whether true or not, this is a common feeling
> among mechanics and amateurs.
>
> If you buy their cheapest parts, you may get some poor remanufactured
> parts in some cases, or even Made in China. * Not all China stuff is crap,
> but a lot *IS.
>
> I have heard that Advance might be a higher level than Autozone but cant
> confirm.
>
> You may be able to find some of the online parts stores that can get you
> high quality parts at good prices.

good point, I'd price out name brand stuff from Rock Auto, might be
even cheaper. I got a complete brake job for my F-150 for only a
couple hundred bucks (calipers, pads, shoes, rotors, seals, hoses,
hardware kits, etc - the only things I did not replace were the rear
drums and the bearings, because the bearings had just been replaced)
by picking up name brand (Raybestos and/or Wagner, usually) stuff on
closeout.

nate
Old March 16th 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:29:16 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> wrote:

>Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
>front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
>This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
>arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
>sides.
>
>At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
>O'Reilly will be just under $300. These are all using store-branded
>parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
>case). Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
>differences? We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
>rubber, not microcontrollers. For all I know they could all be made
>by the same contractor.
>
>Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
>eBay for under $100. They're generic names, but no more generic
>sounding to me than the store brands.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks.

First off, until the Congress reverses some the lying labeling
legislation they've installed to hoodwink buyers, it's often hard to
tell where these parts are made.
That's how the sellers want it.
Besides that, it doesn't usually matter in terms of quality.
I did ball joints and tie rod ends on my Lumina last year and had
the O'Reilly parts guy bring them out for me.
I went with Moog ends and the O'Reilly brand - ProParts? - ball
joints. Might have looked at some TRW parts too.
The Moog ends looked better enough to justify maybe an 86 buck premium
each, the joints looked the same, and didn't justify the maybe 20 buck
each premium.
But that's all my own voodoo. It's not like I could take them apart
or do Rockwell tests on them.
My kid does suspensions all day in a shop that only does suspensions,
99% trucks, from fire trucks and garbage trucks to pick-ups.
I just called him to ask what they use.
It's either Moog or OEM.
And he really doesn't know where either is made.
He "thinks" Moog are Made in U.S.A.
But he's not sure.
And he's not sure that Moog are the best either.
Just that's what they use.
Maybe they get a volume discount.
That eBay stuff just sounds too cheap. Maybe hammered out in some
Indian shipwrecker yard. The Indian billionaire that owns the
operation could pay off the right Congress critters or regulator to
get any junk into the country.
I'd go with the cheapest from a distributor than can be easily sued if
the parts cause an accident. That's the only fear that keeps them
half-way honest.
Otherwise there's probably not much difference.
Check that they at least have zerk holes tapped in them.
As I recall, the O'Reilly non-Moog ends didn't have them.

--Vic

Old March 16th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:00:23 -0500, Vic Smith
> wrote:

>The Moog ends looked better enough to justify maybe an 86 buck premium

Oops. 8 buck premium.

Old March 17th 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

You might also look at,
http://www.who-sells-it.com

Definetly, use parts that have Alemites (some people call them Zerks) on
them.You can grease them rugularly with a grease gun.
Moog and TRW have been in business for many years.I would go for OEM
parts.
cuhulin

Old March 17th 10, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Mar 16, 12:29*pm, phaeton > wrote:
> Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
> front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
> This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
> arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
> sides.
>
> At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
> O'Reilly will be just under $300. *These are all using store-branded
> parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
> case). *Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
> differences? *We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
> rubber, not microcontrollers. *For all I know they could all be made
> by the same contractor.
>
> Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
> eBay for under $100. *They're generic names, but no more generic
> sounding to me than the store brands.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

Everything is still made in China, or some other Country. Stay away
from the Generic. Bottom line is you get what you pay for.. If you
plan on selling the car buy the cheap stuff otherwise stick with the
name brands.