Time for a new system - Specs required!

Old January 27th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Time for a new system - Specs required!

I wonder where you guys pull this kind of money for these kind of
upgrades.. Maybe if you are amateur racer and you win a few races in
real life..

Old January 27th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Nah, for me it's just the 'catch up' upgrade that you have to do every few
years. Normally for me it's a processor here, video card here, ram here,
something else there, etc...

But, with the required changeover to PCIe video it was the right time for me
to do the 'catch up' upgrade.

Over the next few years I'll be able to go back to the here and there
upgrades.

-Larry

Old January 27th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

So, who'd you order it all from, and how much was it? did you piece every
part? or do newegg for it all or have a buddy in teh parst business?

I have been going to do same, with the following excpetions (of course not
all brands are matching)

DFI Lanparty sli board
3800+ cpu
using onboard sound on dfi
7800 256 meg pci-e card of some "sale" flavor.

I see you got a sound card, hmmm or is that NOT what the Xfi elite pro is?

Larry (The Other Larry) enlightened us with:

Old January 27th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Onboard sound blows. Xfi makes it look like a mouse trying to replace a
symphonic orchestra.

You comparing top of the line in soundcard to the budget man's soundcard..

Old January 29th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Well, no racer here, but I do work hard ...

I did just pull the trigger on the following from Newegg:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum socket 939 Nforce4 mb
AMD X2 4400+ dual core processor ( 2 x 1g level 2 cache )
Thermalrite XP90 heatsink ( like to overclock)
Saphire X850XT PCIe 256 mb video card
2 gb Corsair PC3500LL Pro ( 2 x 1gb) matched ram
2 ea WD 250 gb 7200 rpm Sata hard drives
Plextor PX-740A/SW dl dvd burner

( yes, I like to do a little video encoding as well )
- hence, the decision to go with the higher cache chip.

I am upgrading my current system, which is an MSI K8N Neo2 Nforce3 socket
939 , with Athlon XP64 3500+, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 1gb pc3200LL Corsair
ram. I will be assembling a system with these left over components for my
girlfriend.

I will probably be dual booting with XP Pro 32 and XP Pro 64, and should be
in good shape for Vista when it is released.

Larry, I would be interested to hear, how you like the new Creative X-Fi
soundcard. I am sticking with my Audigy2 ZS for now, as I am still pretty
happy with it. I really like the sound on my Klipsch 5.1 Ultra speakers.
I may upgrade to the X-Fi at some point in the future though, just curious
what I might gain from it.

Don

Old January 30th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

All from NewEgg. About $1900.

-Larry

Old January 30th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

To say the X-Fi Elite Pro is a soundcard is an understatement

-Larry

Old January 30th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I have the same Klipsh speakers.

My main gripe with the ZS has always been there is a hum in the system until
the cards drivers are loaded, and then it goes away. Drives me nuts.

Good card though. I wanted the X-Fi Pro Elite because it has, amongst other
things, a Guitar input in the breakout box.

-Larry

Old January 30th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

That's not a Star, that's a BASE STATION!!!

I just got the goodies in from NewEgg.

Aye Corumba, you should see the size of the Break-Out Box that comes with
this X-Fi Elite Pro! Sheesh!

It's literally about the same size as the AN832-SLI Motherboard itself!

The AMD 4800+ X2 looks neat mounted on this board. With the copper-pipe and
sink cooling system on the chipsets and power components, along with the
copper radiator (no fans on the MB other than the CPU) and the
dragster-style copper pipes coming out the side of the Heat Sink, it's neat.

This is the first time I've mouted an Athlon, though it's my third one. The
local store I normally buy my boards/cpu's from mounts them for free when
you purchase.

It was nerve racking to put clip $1000 worth of CPU and motherboard together
the first time

-Larry

Old January 31st 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Well, that's a tough one... The problem is, everyone has different ears.
And sound is very subjective.

To me, does it sound better than the ZS? Yes. Especially when the 24-bit
crystalizer is enabled. It makes an MP3 of "Comfortably Numb" not quite so
numb, and those glorious Gilmour solo's really sing out

But there's the feature list too. Best thing to do there is to compare it
to the ZS on the web page. Both of these cards have about 40 times more
features than anyone needs. The X-Fi Pro Elite is just a bit further off
the hook

Did I mention the breakout-box is huge? Nearly twice the size of the ZS,
but it's got a lot more functionality.

And they finally put the Optical Digital ports on the BACK of the unit where
they belong. I don't know what they were thinking on the ZS box by putting
it on the front.