Time for a new system - Specs required!

Old January 25th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Time for a new system - Specs required!

Anything Logitech is free. Like the G5.

Old January 25th 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Bob" > schrieb:

>> After 7 loooong years, I am finally updating my desktop! I am interested
>> in advice on what specs are important for running car sims at full speed!
>> My main questions are whether to go with a dual-core processor or stay
>> with a single-core CPU, and (I don't wish to start a huge argument here)
>> whether that CPU should be AMD or Intel? Would the dual-core processor
>> help
>> playing any of the car sims? Although I have heard that the AMD CPU is
>> better for game playing, while the Intel is better for video
>> editing/multimedia, is the difference that great when playing games? I
>> must
>> admit that I have purchased Intel up until now, and rate upgradability
>> highly, but not at the expense of game performance too much.
>> I don't think I can go wrong with a Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard??

> None of this is really critical. Especially Intel v. AMD. Dual core
> won't help for current sims.The next thing is.

Oh yes, it will help. I read today that you can gain up to 20% when using
the newest ATI-drivers with a dual core CPU.

[...]

Stephan

Old January 25th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Maybe I should list the current specs I am thinking of... "

After all that's been said, you're still listing a 6600GT/128MB?

Honestly, everything else that's been said here is hardware junkies
listing their preferences. The Intel CPU you listed is perfectly OK
for what you're doing, even if the AMD is somewhat faster.

But the 6600GT is flat wrong and will kill the $$$ you're spending
elsewhere. Unlike the other stuff, this one really matters.

A 6800GS would be a big improvement, but, if you're that worried about
the other things, a 7800 or an X1800 would be a noticeable improvement
over that

Kingston versus Corsair? I can't imagine it making any difference.

Old January 25th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Yo! rocket man...

I would spend the dough on the vid card, I have the 6600gt (sell it pretty
cheap right now to you, I could and upgrade myself to the 6800 at least)
and I was not am not impressed...

I have to say there are 2 caveats about my not impression, one is I went
cheap and got the 128 meg card, and 2 it is on a older slower (Up to 4x agp
only) motherboard with sub500 hz fsb and a p4 2.4ghz cpu.

This card gained me a slight (only slight) bump in performance over the
ti4600 w/128 meg ram, card it had replaced... Sure with GPL and Nascar03 it
seemed enough of an upgrade, but with GTL (biggest fram hit game I have) it
is sorely dissapointing. BTW it runs rFactor great and GPL pretty decent so
it is all not bad for 140? (nowdays?) vs 300+ bucks.

but as it stands, it was wasted 180 so my 6800 going to have cost me this
180 I spent plus the cost of the upgrade, if I cant sell the 6600gt. Live
and learn ya know.

RocketMan enlightened us with:

Old January 25th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

RocketMan Wrote:
> Maybe I should list the current specs I am thinking of...
> Please remember this is very preliminary, especially the CPU &
> motherboard.
>
> Case Lian Li PC-6070BW Plus Mid Tower
> Power Supply Thermaltake W0049RA, 680W, Auto Control
> Motherboard ASUS P5WD2 Premium, Socket 775
> CPU Intel Pentium 4 670, 3.8GHz, 800MHz FSB
> Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar WD2500KS-SE16, 250GB, x 2
> DVD drive SONY or LG 16xDVD, 52xCD
> DVD writer Pioneer DVR-110D, DVD 16R/16W/8RW
> Memory Corsair Dual Channel 2x1GB, DDR2-SDRAM, 667MHz
> Video card Leadtek GeForce PX6600 GT, 128MB
> Sound card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, PCI
> Keyboard Microsoft Basic keyboard (only $16!)
> Mouse Logitech G5 Laser mouse, USB
> Monitor DELL (Samsung) 2405FPW 24 inch widescreen LCD (already
> purchased)
> Speakers Altec Lansing GT5051R, 5.1 Speaker System, 80W RMS
> DV/Video capture/TV Tuner card Compro VideoMate DVB-T300
>
> Comments please.
> Also thinking about the Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers, instead
> of
> the Altec Lansing. Anyone have experience with either speaker system?
> Originally planned on buying Kingston memory, but having problems
> sourcing
> it. I rate Kingston memory as the best money can buy. Is that correct
> thinking? How does Corsair rate? compare to Kingston?
> Hope this isn't inappropriate to post in this NG.
> TIA.

Ok Corsair ram is a joke, if your going to buy good quality ram, but
GEIL Dual,
http://www.geilusa.com/. For video Leadtek isnt the way to go, that is
going cheap, at least spend the money and get a better quality than
leadtek. Pioneer is ok for the writer, but I ahve always prefered LG,
besides LG writer & reader will go nicely together . HardDrive, dude
stay away from Western Digital, again spend some cash and get a
Seagate SATA ST3400832NS NL35 Series 400 GB 7200 RPM 8 ms avg
http://tinyurl.com/978el

--
Pantharen
Pantharen's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=247059

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old January 25th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

RocketMan wrote:

> Dell 2405FPW - Yes, native resolution is 1920x1200. Hoping to be able to
> run all/most
> games at 1280x1024.

Same here. GTL & rFactor both run perfectly at 1920x1200 with an AMD
4000 & GT7800 with 1Gb Ram.

Cheers
Tony
Old January 25th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Ok Corsair ram is a joke, if your going to buy good quality ram, but
> GEIL Dual,
> http://www.geilusa.com/. For video Leadtek isnt the way to go, that is
> going cheap, at least spend the money and get a better quality than
> leadtek. Pioneer is ok for the writer, but I ahve always prefered LG,
> besides LG writer & reader will go nicely together . HardDrive, dude
> stay away from Western Digital, again spend some cash and get a
> Seagate SATA ST3400832NS NL35 Series 400 GB 7200 RPM 8 ms avg
> http://tinyurl.com/978el

GEIL is good, nothing special though. It's probably better value than
Corsair (both the high-end and the low-end GEIL RAM) To say Corsair RAM is
a joke is ridiculous.

Have Seagate upgraded their models recently? ...because about 6 months ago
Western Digital's new drives were cooler, quieter, faster and cheaper than
any Seagate drive with the same warranty. I used to always buy Seagate
drives because they were the quietest but not last time around.

Old January 26th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

About 3 months ago I built a 1.8TB RAID-5 in my home server using 6 Seagate
300GB Sata drives.

You can barely tell the things are even running.

-Larry

Old January 27th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I just pulled the trigger on an upgrade myself...

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2-4800+
EVGA 7800 GTX ViVo 256MB
Antec Truepower 2.0 550
Seagate 7200.9 300GB SATA-II
Creative X-Fi Elite Pro

-Larry

Old January 27th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Larry (The Other Larry) wrote:
> I just pulled the trigger on an upgrade myself...
>
> ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
> AMD Athlon X2-4800+
> EVGA 7800 GTX ViVo 256MB
> Antec Truepower 2.0 550
> Seagate 7200.9 300GB SATA-II
> Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
>
> -Larry

Sweet!

I am about to order the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum MB, Athlon X2-4400+, with a
Radeon X800 card.

--
Don Burnette