Time for a new system - Specs required!

Old January 24th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Time for a new system - Specs required!

After 7 loooong years, I am finally updating my desktop! I am interested
in advice on what specs are important for running car sims at full speed!
My main questions are whether to go with a dual-core processor or stay
with a single-core CPU, and (I don't wish to start a huge argument here)
whether that CPU should be AMD or Intel? Would the dual-core processor help
playing any of the car sims? Although I have heard that the AMD CPU is
better for game playing, while the Intel is better for video
editing/multimedia, is the difference that great when playing games? I must
admit that I have purchased Intel up until now, and rate upgradability
highly, but not at the expense of game performance too much.
I don't think I can go wrong with a Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard??
I am thinking of going with a Geforce 6600 GT video card to start with, as
I can easily upgrade to a higher spec card at a later date. Currently I am
only playing GPL, so it should be perfectly adequate. With a high speed CPU
the 6600 GT will run the current sims (GTL etc.) well??
My sound requirements are not that big, so a SB Audigy 2 ZS should fit my
needs. Any suggestions on a good set of speakers for car sims and DVDs for
under US$300? - preferably much less! I currently have a 24 inch
widescreen LCD, so a good set of speakers would be great.
My last question (sorry if these questions are inappropriate in this NG)
is about RAID. Is this set on the motherboard? Can it be changed (from 0 to
1) by switching jumpers on the MB?? My current desktop has two hard drives
with the 2nd drive being basically a backup of my data from the primary
(Windows) drive - not RAID of course. I was planning on partitioning the 2
new 250GB drives into something like 40GB (Windows), 2 x 80GB, 50GB (data).
Is that a good idea? What type of RAID should I run? Just mirror the 1st
drive onto the 2nd drive, or go for speed??
Thanks for your time.

--

RocketMan

Old January 24th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

RocketMan wrote:

> I am thinking of going with a Geforce 6600 GT video card to start with, as
> I can easily upgrade to a higher spec card at a later date. Currently I am
> only playing GPL, so it should be perfectly adequate. With a high speed CPU
> the 6600 GT will run the current sims (GTL etc.) well??
> My sound requirements are not that big, so a SB Audigy 2 ZS should fit my
> needs. Any suggestions on a good set of speakers for car sims and DVDs for
> under US$300? - preferably much less! I currently have a 24 inch
> widescreen LCD, so a good set of speakers would be great.

A 24" LCD will have a high native resolution (I would guess 1920x1200?).
To run GTL at this res may need more than a 6600GT. I would suggest
either a 7800 or an ATI X1800.

GTL needs a fast CPU too e.g. AMD 4000 otherwise the graphics card can't
be utilised to the full.

I don't think dual core helps with car sims atm.

As it stands SLI doesn't help much either, though it may do in the future.

1Gb RAM is also a good idea

Hope this helps
Tony
Old January 25th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> After 7 loooong years, I am finally updating my desktop! I am interested
> in advice on what specs are important for running car sims at full speed!
> My main questions are whether to go with a dual-core processor or stay
> with a single-core CPU, and (I don't wish to start a huge argument here)
> whether that CPU should be AMD or Intel? Would the dual-core processor help
> playing any of the car sims? Although I have heard that the AMD CPU is
> better for game playing, while the Intel is better for video
> editing/multimedia, is the difference that great when playing games? I must
> admit that I have purchased Intel up until now, and rate upgradability
> highly, but not at the expense of game performance too much.
> I don't think I can go wrong with a Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard??

None of this is really critical. Especially Intel v. AMD. Dual core
won't help for current sims.The next thing is.

> I am thinking of going with a Geforce 6600 GT video card to start with, as
> I can easily upgrade to a higher spec card at a later date. Currently I am
> only playing GPL, so it should be perfectly adequate. With a high speed CPU
> the 6600 GT will run the current sims (GTL etc.) well??

No. Don't worry so much about CPU, worry about this. You can get a
7800GT or an X800XL for about $300.

> My sound requirements are not that big, so a SB Audigy 2 ZS should fit my
> needs. Any suggestions on a good set of speakers for car sims and DVDs for
> under US$300? - preferably much less! I currently have a 24 inch
> widescreen LCD, so a good set of speakers would be great.

I have these. Great for gaming, even better for music. $130.

> My last question (sorry if these questions are inappropriate in this NG)
> is about RAID. Is this set on the motherboard? Can it be changed (from 0 to
> 1) by switching jumpers on the MB?? My current desktop has two hard drives
> with the 2nd drive being basically a backup of my data from the primary
> (Windows) drive - not RAID of course. I was planning on partitioning the 2
> new 250GB drives into something like 40GB (Windows), 2 x 80GB, 50GB (data).
> Is that a good idea? What type of RAID should I run? Just mirror the 1st
> drive onto the 2nd drive, or go for speed??

RAID is configured in software. If you have implemented a good backup
system, speed is fine. If not, I'd mirror.

Old January 25th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Or save yourself some effort, pay 2.5k for an FC3S and another 2.5k for
a new engine rebuild. And there you have a realistic racing sim.

Otherwise..

Go AMD X2.

Go 7800GT instead of X1800.

Raid up SATAs.

Go dual channel with two 1gb sticks.

Then your set.

For now anyways.

Old January 25th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Despite the fact that few current games take advantage of dual core CPUs,
I'd recommend an AMD X2 3800+ for the CPU. They are indeed much faster than
a similarly priced Intel CPU for gaming and the AMD X2s are also faster than
Intel CPUs in video/multimedia unlike the older single core AMD64s which
were quite a bit slower for video editing.

The 3800+ also overclocks like crazy if you're into that sort of thing.
4800+ speeds with stock cooling seem to be the norm when overclocking an X2
3800+

Old January 25th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
> RocketMan wrote:
>
>> I am thinking of going with a Geforce 6600 GT video card to start with,
>> as I can easily upgrade to a higher spec card at a later date. Currently
>> I am only playing GPL, so it should be perfectly adequate. With a high
>> speed CPU the 6600 GT will run the current sims (GTL etc.) well??
>> My sound requirements are not that big, so a SB Audigy 2 ZS should fit
>> my needs. Any suggestions on a good set of speakers for car sims and DVDs
>> for under US$300? - preferably much less! I currently have a 24 inch
>> widescreen LCD, so a good set of speakers would be great.

> A 24" LCD will have a high native resolution (I would guess 1920x1200?).
> To run GTL at this res may need more than a 6600GT. I would suggest either
> a 7800 or an ATI X1800.

Dell 2405FPW - Yes, native resolution is 1920x1200. Hoping to be able to
run all/most
games at 1280x1024.

> GTL needs a fast CPU too e.g. AMD 4000 otherwise the graphics card can't
> be utilised to the full.
>
> I don't think dual core helps with car sims atm.
>
> As it stands SLI doesn't help much either, though it may do in the future.
>
> 1Gb RAM is also a good idea

Definitely installing 2x1GB DDR2 DIMMS.

> Hope this helps
> Tony

Thanks.

Old January 25th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Bob" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> After 7 loooong years, I am finally updating my desktop! I am interested
>> in advice on what specs are important for running car sims at full speed!
>> My main questions are whether to go with a dual-core processor or stay
>> with a single-core CPU, and (I don't wish to start a huge argument here)
>> whether that CPU should be AMD or Intel? Would the dual-core processor
>> help
>> playing any of the car sims? Although I have heard that the AMD CPU is
>> better for game playing, while the Intel is better for video
>> editing/multimedia, is the difference that great when playing games? I
>> must
>> admit that I have purchased Intel up until now, and rate upgradability
>> highly, but not at the expense of game performance too much.
>> I don't think I can go wrong with a Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard??

> None of this is really critical. Especially Intel v. AMD. Dual core
> won't help for current sims.The next thing is.
>
>> I am thinking of going with a Geforce 6600 GT video card to start with,
>> as
>> I can easily upgrade to a higher spec card at a later date. Currently I
>> am
>> only playing GPL, so it should be perfectly adequate. With a high speed
>> CPU
>> the 6600 GT will run the current sims (GTL etc.) well??

> No. Don't worry so much about CPU, worry about this. You can get a
> 7800GT or an X800XL for about $300.
>
>> My sound requirements are not that big, so a SB Audigy 2 ZS should fit
>> my
>> needs. Any suggestions on a good set of speakers for car sims and DVDs
>> for
>> under US$300? - preferably much less! I currently have a 24 inch
>> widescreen LCD, so a good set of speakers would be great.

> I have these. Great for gaming, even better for music. $130.

Currently thinking about the Altec Lansing GT5051R 5.1 system - $145.
I am very happy with my old set of Altec Lansing speakers. They certainly
seem to
be a good brand.
Thanks.

Old January 25th 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Chang Liu" > wrote in message
> Or save yourself some effort, pay 2.5k for an FC3S and another 2.5k for a
> new engine rebuild. And there you have a realistic racing sim.

Sold my race car. That is why I am back on the computer sims. HEAPS
cheaper! ) Buying them is the cheap part. Racing them is the expensive
part!

Old January 25th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Maybe I should list the current specs I am thinking of...
Please remember this is very preliminary, especially the CPU &
motherboard.

Case Lian Li PC-6070BW Plus Mid Tower
Power Supply Thermaltake W0049RA, 680W, Auto Control
Motherboard ASUS P5WD2 Premium, Socket 775
CPU Intel Pentium 4 670, 3.8GHz, 800MHz FSB
Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar WD2500KS-SE16, 250GB, x 2
DVD drive SONY or LG 16xDVD, 52xCD
DVD writer Pioneer DVR-110D, DVD 16R/16W/8RW
Memory Corsair Dual Channel 2x1GB, DDR2-SDRAM, 667MHz
Video card Leadtek GeForce PX6600 GT, 128MB
Sound card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, PCI
Keyboard Microsoft Basic keyboard (only $16!)
Mouse Logitech G5 Laser mouse, USB
Monitor DELL (Samsung) 2405FPW 24 inch widescreen LCD (already purchased)
Speakers Altec Lansing GT5051R, 5.1 Speaker System, 80W RMS
DV/Video capture/TV Tuner card Compro VideoMate DVB-T300

Comments please.
Also thinking about the Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers, instead of
the Altec Lansing. Anyone have experience with either speaker system?
Originally planned on buying Kingston memory, but having problems sourcing
it. I rate Kingston memory as the best money can buy. Is that correct
thinking? How does Corsair rate? compare to Kingston?
Hope this isn't inappropriate to post in this NG.
TIA.

--

RocketMan

Old January 25th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Case Lian Li PC-6070BW Plus Mid Tower
> Power Supply Thermaltake W0049RA, 680W, Auto Control
> Motherboard ASUS P5WD2 Premium, Socket 775
> CPU Intel Pentium 4 670, 3.8GHz, 800MHz FSB
> Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar WD2500KS-SE16, 250GB, x 2
> DVD drive SONY or LG 16xDVD, 52xCD
> DVD writer Pioneer DVR-110D, DVD 16R/16W/8RW
> Memory Corsair Dual Channel 2x1GB, DDR2-SDRAM, 667MHz
> Video card Leadtek GeForce PX6600 GT, 128MB
> Sound card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, PCI
> Keyboard Microsoft Basic keyboard (only $16!)
> Mouse Logitech G5 Laser mouse, USB
> Monitor DELL (Samsung) 2405FPW 24 inch widescreen LCD (already
> purchased)
> Speakers Altec Lansing GT5051R, 5.1 Speaker System, 80W RMS
> DV/Video capture/TV Tuner card Compro VideoMate DVB-T300

The video card looks a bit underpowered to me considering the rest of the
system. I'd recommend stretching to a 6800 or ATI x800XL or faster -
especially now that the 7800 and x1900 have been released. Buying 2 HDDs
seems great in theory but the extra heat, noise and power consumption rarely
make the minor performance increase worthwhile for even a power home user.
A lot of people raid (stripe) 2 HDDs thinking they will cut their game
sometimes none at all. Having 2xHDDs is fantastic for video editing though.
Again you might be able save some money and gain some performance by going
the AMD X2 route. Don't be fooled by the AMDs lack of support for DDR-2
RAM - they still outperform Intel's current line-up by a very significant
margin. So much so, that currently buying an Intel based desktop system is
regarded by most industry experts as bordering on foolish. Intel's main
focus is on mobile CPUs these days. (Hope I don't sound like an AMD
zealot - I've owned plenty of Intel PCs over the years and they've been good
too)

Hope that helps - looks like a great PC in the making. =)