rFactor FF problem

Old September 27th 05, 07:35 AM
Dave Weaver

Default rFactor FF problem

I've just bought rFactor (which I'm finding great fun), but I seem to
be having a problem with (lack of) force feedback.

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder FF wheel, the old game port version. FF
works fine with this wheel in other games, from GPL to RBR.

I've spotted the note in the readme which mentioned that the force
effects must be set to Low on MS wheels, so I've made sure that's the
case.

On Sunday I was having problems with the wheel pulling the wrong way
(the more I'd steer to e.g. the left, the more the wheel would pull to
the left- a sort of anti-centering effect), but when I loaded it up
today, I set the slider on the FF page in rF from 100% to -100%, and
now I get no FF at all. There's a centering force on the wheel, so
it's fine to drive, but lack of FF makes me sad :-(

Does anyone else have FF working with this wheel? If so, what's the
secret? Any ideas for things I can try?

Thanks,
Dave.
Old September 27th 05, 02:35 PM
Dave Henrie

Dave Weaver > wrote in news:4338e83f$0$330$da0feed9
@news.zen.co.uk:

> I've just bought rFactor (which I'm finding great fun), but I seem to
> be having a problem with (lack of) force feedback.
>
> I have a Microsoft Sidewinder FF wheel, the old game port version. FF
> works fine with this wheel in other games, from GPL to RBR.
>
> I've spotted the note in the readme which mentioned that the force
> effects must be set to Low on MS wheels, so I've made sure that's the
> case.
>
> On Sunday I was having problems with the wheel pulling the wrong way
> (the more I'd steer to e.g. the left, the more the wheel would pull to
> the left- a sort of anti-centering effect), but when I loaded it up
> today, I set the slider on the FF page in rF from 100% to -100%, and
> now I get no FF at all. There's a centering force on the wheel, so
> it's fine to drive, but lack of FF makes me sad :-(
>
> Does anyone else have FF working with this wheel? If so, what's the
> secret? Any ideas for things I can try?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave.

Well the negative numbers are only for Logitech wheels which include the
Momos. But the MS needs positive numbers. When you assign the axis for
steering, make sure the wheel is centered before doing the left/right
stuff.
Also make sure you move the wheel fully left and fully right when
assigning the axis for steering. Then in the Joy1 screen, place the slider
for your wheel,(usually X) to near 50%.
I've never used an MS, but with my Logitech, I always move the wheel
from side to side and depress both pedals several times so that I use all
the available travel in each BEFORE I leave the garage or starting line.
THis may not help you because Logitech has a self-centering function built
into it's software. But give it a try.
In windows itself, play with the centering spring option. I have mine
enabled, but set to zero. You could try turning it off or adding some
centering spring forces and maybe one of these changes will liven up your
wheel. good luck.
dh
Old September 28th 05, 07:41 AM
Dave Weaver

Dave Henrie > wrote:
> Well the negative numbers are only for Logitech wheels which
> include the Momos. But the MS needs positive numbers. When you
> assign the axis for steering, make sure the wheel is centered
> before doing the left/right stuff.

OK - I started from scratch again last night, and got it
working - sort of,

If I just set the effects to "low", I get FF, but the wheel pulls the
wrong way. Moving the other slider to "-100%" gives FF in the right
direction.

However, if I hit Esc and return to the garage, then go back to the
car, I have no FF at all, not even a centering force (which makes the
car even harder to drive). The only way to restore the FF is to leave
the track and re-enter it.

> In windows itself, play with the centering spring option. I have
> mine enabled, but set to zero. You could try turning it off or
> adding some centering spring forces and maybe one of these
> changes will liven up your wheel.

Unfortunately that's not an option. I have the old gameport version of
the Sidewinder, and that leaves me stuck with XP's built-in driver
which offers no control at all over the FF.

With all this hassle I've yet to find out - is the FF in rF any good?
Am I missing out if I have it turned off?
I found that the FF made a huge difference to the feel of the car
in GPL - if it's that much difference here, I may have to investigate
a new wheel...

Cheers,
Dave.

Old September 28th 05, 03:49 PM

rFactor FF is better for me than GPL's, and I loved GPL's. It took a
little playing around with steering lock/sensitivity/digital rate to
get it right in rFactor, though. But when it's right, you can really
feel the front wheels attached to the road. It makes driving so much
easier. I don't know how people can still drive sprung wheels.

But anyway... another new experience in sims. Anyone notice how the
car will hop in the corners? I've never found that in any other sim.
And it feels very realistic, both from watching it on-screen, and in
the feedback through the wheel. It happens when you really plant the
car into the groove. Pretty cool.

Pat Dotson

Old September 28th 05, 04:33 PM
Mitch_A

I agree Pat.

One thing though, I'd like to be able to see the bumps. Mill's has that
sharp left hander and if ya go wide you get thrown around a bit but if you
nail the line you miss the bump, very cool but a visual cue would only make
it better. I stopped and looked for it but I coulndt find it

Mitch

oups.com...

Old September 28th 05, 08:39 PM
PJL

> > I'm still using my old Logitech Wingman Formula Force USB wheel.
> > Never had a problem with it in any game (other than it overheats
> > sometimes) Best damn wheel ever.
> >

> Me too. That old Logi wheel has been going since sometime in '98.
> I got a free spare one a year later, thinking that "surely it will
> die on me sooner or later": it's still in the back of the closet.
> Never had any problem with any game I've tried it with, including
> an original demo of LFS and the latest version of rFactor.
>
> --
> Darryl

What settings are you guys using for your wheel and what settings for FF? I
have the same wheel and was playing rFactor on-line and just about got
myself kicked out of a race because my wheel was being very unresponsive and
I kept turning too late and ended up running into other players (honest!!!).
I was given a reprieve when I explained the latency and general sloppy
response from my Logitech FF; however, I was only able to get minimal help
because most of the other Logitech racers were using the Momo.

Thanks,

PJ

Old September 28th 05, 11:13 PM
Dave

"PJL" > wrote in message

> What settings are you guys using for your wheel and what settings for FF? I
> have the same wheel and was playing rFactor on-line and just about got
> myself kicked out of a race because my wheel was being very unresponsive and
> I kept turning too late and ended up running into other players (honest!!!).
> I was given a reprieve when I explained the latency and general sloppy
> response from my Logitech FF; however, I was only able to get minimal help
> because most of the other Logitech racers were using the Momo.

I'm just using the default settings in rFactor.
No problems.