Auto trany leaks out fluid

Old February 11th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bob[_25_]

Default Auto trany leaks out fluid

Why would a TF999 in a YJ leak out fluid from the vent when its not showed
as full. I have an external vent, so I know it coming from there. The dip
stick shows 1 quart low. I put a quart in it and most of it blew out the
external vent. made a mess and a lot of smoke. I used ATF type 4 fluid.

If different fluids types are mixed, can it cause a swelling of the fluid or
foaming? I know water can, but I have not been in water. The current fluid
is 3 years old with maybe 5K on it.

Old February 11th 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

Without pulling up my manul for your rig, I would only have to guess from my
experience. (My YJ is a Manual).
DID you read the manual and follow ALL directions for checking your proper
fluid level? This FORUM is not the place to be a replacement for YOU NOT
doing YOUR homework, and doing something sooooo basic as to FOLLOW your
manuals guidelines. I WOULD GUESS that you DIDNT. and your motor and tranny
WASNT heated up to the proper temp. YOU checked the level, and it showed LOW,
YOU ADDED fluid when YOU SHOULDNT have and thus it OVERFLOWED.
IS that what you needed to HEAR?

Old February 11th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

When I see or hear things like that, it usually means either water has
hit the fluid in which case it would be a milkshake like stuff or the
filter has blocked up or it's just overfull.

How are the lines up to the radiator cooler? Could one of those gotten
pinched?

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old February 11th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Spdloader[_2_]

"Bob" > wrote in message
.. .
> Why would a TF999 in a YJ leak out fluid from the vent when its not showed
> as full. I have an external vent, so I know it coming from there. The
> dip stick shows 1 quart low. I put a quart in it and most of it blew out
> the external vent. made a mess and a lot of smoke. I used ATF type 4
> fluid.
>
> If different fluids types are mixed, can it cause a swelling of the fluid
> or foaming? I know water can, but I have not been in water. The current
> fluid is 3 years old with maybe 5K on it.

Be sure the transmission is at normal operating temp and the vehicle parked
on a level surface when checking. Some transmissions require the engine
running and the trans in park to check. Also, be sure your dipstick measures
in quarts instead of pints like some do. You may have simply overfilled it.
Read your owners manual.

Good luck
Spdloader

Old February 12th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Herb Leong

#
#If different fluids types are mixed, can it cause a swelling of the fluid or
#foaming? I know water can, but I have not been in water. The current fluid
#is 3 years old with maybe 5K on it.

5K in 3 years?

How long did you let the car warm up before adding in the fluid?

/herb

Old February 14th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bob[_25_]

It was 10 minutes. After relooking at the stick, I relized I added 1 quart
when it said 1 pt low. Would not think 1 pint would cause this issue, but
what do I know.

I will change the fluid and gasket again and see what happens. I will also
run a hose from the external vent line into an overflow tank. Just incase
it happens again, it will prevent it from smoking or catching on fire.

t...

Trany ?? Digit[_1_] Dodge 1 September 26th 06 08:30 AM
93 Audi 100s "fail safe mode with auto Trany audijlp Audi 0 December 23rd 05 06:09 PM
Chevy 4X4 pickup leaks fluid musikman 4x4 1 November 24th 05 11:45 PM
"Power Steering Fluid" & Auto Trans Fluid - Interchangeable? maxpower Chrysler 2 October 11th 04 12:04 PM
93 SL1 automatic trany problem D. Gignac Saturn 2 October 11th 04 12:12 AM