Dark Side of Hybrid Vehicles

Old August 1st 05, 06:25 AM
Abeness

jim beam wrote:
> /please/ read sci.materials abe. pretty please?

Look, jim, Uncle Al won't convince me that it's unworkable (though I
gotta say his "****anium" comment in anotehr thread had me in stitches).
So there are technical challenges to surmount? So it's currently an
expensive proposition? So it may not be the most efficient thing around?
Does that make it impossible? No.

I'm not much invested in the issue, frankly. Haven't explored the Honda
FCX stuff either, actually, just ran across it today for the first time.
I'm not saying it's safe, and am quite willing to accept that there are
dangers. I do intend to keep an open mind about it. One of these decades
we're gonna run out of oil (or the surface of the earth will sink into
the void we've left behind by pumping it all out <g>), and we need to
pursue alteratives.
Old August 1st 05, 06:27 AM
Casey

Abeness said
> jim beam wrote:
> > but abe, have you ever seen a scuba tank explode?

> Nope.
>
> > gasoline fuel cell, absolutely. hydrogen fuel cell? no chance.

> All I said was it's being tried, jim. The RAND Corporation thought in
> 1954 that home computers of 2004 would fit within a single room. I don't
> have the source of the picture/caption I have (probably from something
> like Popular Science), but the sucker is complete with a large steering
> wheel (yes, a steering wheel), lots of analog gauges covering a whole
> wall (yes, gauges!), and a maybe 18" teletype tractor feed printer. It's
> also got a large TV mounted high on a wall. With the Fortran language,
> it was expected to be easy to use. Hah hah.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet. That is a
"manufactured" composite using an altered photo of this submarine
manuvering room console:

http://home.att.net/~jeff1_satobserve/photo17.htm

The whole story is at:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp

Casey
Old August 1st 05, 10:26 AM
Sparky Spartacus

Steve Bigelow wrote:

> "Abeness" > wrote in message
>
>>Jason wrote:
>>
>>>I advise you to buy a copy of the magazine and read the article.

>>Could also read it at the library or maybe even online.

> http://www.caranddriver.com/article....age_num ber=1
>
> Hardly any bias evident there! lol....
>
> He drives an F-350 dually and a H2.

"While the greenies and their flunkies in the so-called major media
palpitate over the future of the hybrid..."

I got this far. Brock Yates is past his shelf life.
Old August 1st 05, 10:28 AM
Sparky Spartacus

jim beam wrote:

> Abeness wrote:
>
>> jim beam wrote:
>>
>>> hydrogen? no. logistics prohibitive. wildly unsafe.

>> It's being tried. Check out the Honda FCX.
>> http://world.honda.com/FuelCell/
>>
>> Not sure Q should use these for 007, though... ;-))

> but abe, have you ever seen a scuba tank explode?

Only when Chief Brody shot one at the conclusion of "Jaws".

Old August 1st 05, 02:00 PM

dang, why do you need to buy Honda civic hybrid if you can buy Honda
jazz with comparable MPG? lol...........

i definitely would prefer honda jazz with lower engine that has
comparable MPG...LOL

--
_karu_
_karu_'s Profile: http://Club3series.com361

Old August 1st 05, 02:40 PM
Abeness

Casey wrote:
> Don't believe everything you see on the Internet.

Hah hah, thanks for refs, Casey. Normally I don't, but this one
apparently slipped under the radar. In any case, my opinion progress
remains.
Old August 1st 05, 02:43 PM
Abeness

Sparky Spartacus wrote:
> Get used to it - ultimately everything will be programmed (but not by
> Microsoft, please, God).

Amen, Brother Sparky. Reminds me of that old "if your car ran MS Windows
3.1..." gag that circulated by email many years ago. Was pretty funny.
Old August 2nd 05, 03:14 AM
Gordon McGrew

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 03:52:32 GMT, "FanJet" >
wrote:

>Bebop wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I would stay away from hybrids. Saw one die in the middle of
>>> traffic - no power and creating massive backups. The industry will
>>> eventually go to hydrogen systems, but never electric.

>> The hybrid is not true electric, thus the word "hybrid".

>Actually, they're true gasoline since that's their *only* power source.
>"Hybrid" is a spin that gets people to purchase something they otherwise
>wouldn't.

Hmmm. I am as skeptical of "marketing" as anyone but I really don't
think that people are buying the word, 'hybrid.' Some buyers like the
high milage/green benefits. Others like the technology. I don't
think anyone is buying because they like the word.

LIDAR Trial this Week [email protected] Driving 17 April 9th 06 02:44 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Mission impossible: Replacing prelude side lamp bulb Chris Honda 3 July 12th 05 01:52 PM
98 Intrigue Dual A/C blows warm on one side John Clonts Technology 0 July 9th 05 09:56 PM
What the heck is Dark Khaki Roy Jeep 3 January 25th 05 03:54 PM