2003 Honda Accord SRS indicator light

Old April 28th 10, 09:36 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

Default 2003 Honda Accord SRS indicator light

If I start my car before I put my seat belt on, my SRS indicator light
comes on and stays on no matter whether I wear the belt or not. If I
put my seat belt on first before I start the engine, no indicator
light (normal status). I called my local Honda dealer and they told
me that if the indicator light has to do with seat belt tensioners,
it's under a recall but they want $103 to read the codes. I think it
will be no charge to me if the codes say seat belt tensioner only.

Does anyone know if I go to Autozone to have them read my codes, can
their reader tell me if this indicator light has to do with air bags
vs seat belt tensioners? In other words, will there be a separate
code for each? I really don't want to spend $103 to read the codes
nor have I decided if I want to mess with the air bags if that's the
problem unless it might cause harm if inflated. Any idea what an air
bag fix might cost (without the code reading fee)? If it matters,
this is on a 2003 Honda Accord sedan 4 cyl auto.
Old April 28th 10, 11:06 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:36:05 -0500, Guy > wrote:
>If I start my car before I put my seat belt on, my SRS indicator light
>comes on and stays on no matter whether I wear the belt or not. If I
>put my seat belt on first before I start the engine, no indicator
>light (normal status). I called my local Honda dealer and they told
>me that if the indicator light has to do with seat belt tensioners,
>it's under a recall but they want $103 to read the codes. I think it
>will be no charge to me if the codes say seat belt tensioner only.

They can't charge you for such bull**** on a recall. Tell them to
execute the recall's requirements and that you aren't paying for
anything extra, especially what amounts to $1200/hr reading codes that
require less than five minutes effort.
Old April 29th 10, 12:04 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

On Apr 28, 2:36*pm, "Guy" > wrote:
> If I start my car before I put my seat belt on, my SRS indicator light
> comes on and stays on no matter whether I wear the belt or not. *If I
> put my seat belt on first before I start the engine, no indicator
> light (normal status). *I called my local Honda dealer and they told
> me that if the indicator light has to do with seat belt tensioners,
> it's under a recall but they want $103 to read the codes. *I think it
> will be no charge to me if the codes say seat belt tensioner only.
>
> Does anyone know if I go to Autozone to have them read my codes, can
> their reader tell me if this indicator light has to do with air bags
> vs seat belt tensioners? *In other words, will there be a separate
> code for each? * I really don't want to spend $103 to read the codes
> nor have I decided if I want to mess with the air bags if that's the
> problem unless it might cause harm if inflated. *Any idea what an air
> bag fix might cost (without the code reading fee)? *If it matters,
> this is on a 2003 Honda Accord sedan 4 cyl auto.

You can read the code yourself using the following and a paper clip
(or short piece of wire):

http://sites.google.com/site/hondalioness/srs

My 2003 Civic had the SRS light on. I read the code myself. It turned
out to be the seat belt tensioner. Most, but it seems not all, dealers
cover this in the U.S. under the lifetime seat belt warranty on all
Hondas. (Apparently some dealers argue the part does not involve seat
belt integrity, and so it is not warrant-able. Yet other dealers say
the whole belt buckle must be replaced to correct the failed airbag
switch problem, so it is warrantable.)

At the site above, I also describe the good experience I had with my
dealer on this.

Old April 29th 10, 12:07 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

On Apr 28, 2:36*pm, "Guy" > wrote:
> If I start my car before I put my seat belt on, my SRS indicator light
> comes on and stays on no matter whether I wear the belt or not. *If I
> put my seat belt on first before I start the engine, no indicator
> light (normal status). *I called my local Honda dealer and they told
> me that if the indicator light has to do with seat belt tensioners,
> it's under a recall but they want $103 to read the codes. *I think it
> will be no charge to me if the codes say seat belt tensioner only.
>
> Does anyone know if I go to Autozone to have them read my codes, can
> their reader tell me if this indicator light has to do with air bags
> vs seat belt tensioners? *In other words, will there be a separate
> code for each? * I really don't want to spend $103 to read the codes
> nor have I decided if I want to mess with the air bags if that's the
> problem unless it might cause harm if inflated. *Any idea what an air
> bag fix might cost (without the code reading fee)? *If it matters,
> this is on a 2003 Honda Accord sedan 4 cyl auto.

Google for reading the code yourself on your Accord. It should be like
the following, but maybe not exactly, so please check with other
sources.

http://sites.google.com/site/hondalioness/srs

My 2003 Civic had the SRS light on. I read the code myself. It turned
out to be the seat belt tensioner. Most, but it seems not all, dealers
cover this in the U.S. under the lifetime seat belt warranty on all
Hondas. (Apparently some dealers argue the part does not involve seat
belt integrity, and so it is not warrant-able. Yet other dealers say
the whole belt buckle must be replaced to correct the failed airbag
switch problem, so it is warrantable.)

At the site above, I also describe the good experience I had with my
dealer on this.

If Autozone reads the codes, then yes, its reader should say whether
it is the seat belt tensioner.
Old April 29th 10, 12:14 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

Most likely it is the buckle. Google for reading the code yourself on

See also http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php...light=SRS+Code

Old April 29th 10, 03:19 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Elle > wrote in news:1576a559-c369-42b7-bc4e-
:

> My 2003 Civic had the SRS light on. I read the code myself. It turned
> out to be the seat belt tensioner. Most, but it seems not all, dealers
> cover this in the U.S. under the lifetime seat belt warranty on all
> Hondas. (Apparently some dealers argue the part does not involve seat
> belt integrity, and so it is not warrant-able. Yet other dealers say
> the whole belt buckle must be replaced to correct the failed airbag
> switch problem, so it is warrantable.)

That's not a dealer warranty, it's an American Honda warranty. It's called
the "Lifetime Seat Belt Limited Warranty". The dealer is NOT the one that
decides if the repair is warrantable.

The warranty applies if these three conditions are met:
1) the vehicle was originally sold to an American dealer by American Honda;
2) the actual functioning of the belt assembly is impaired;
3) the vehicle has not been involved in a collision.

"Integrity" is not part of the warranty criteria.

If the belt refuses to retract; refuses to lock; is frayed to the point
where it will not move in and out of its retractor; if motorized belts
won't run back-and-forth and/or lock in the rearmost position; if there is
any other impediment to actual function, then the warranty applies.

If the seat belt functions as-designed, but the SRS light is illuminated
with a seat belt code, then the warranty does not apply.

If the seat belt functions as-designed, but the belt warning-lamp is on
even when the belt is buckled, then the warranty does not apply.

If the belt is stained or the plastic is cracked, but the belt still
functions as-designed, then the warranty does not apply.

Honda pays the dealers for any warranty work they do to your seat belts. If
your dealer won't play ball, call American Honda customer service:
<http://automobiles.honda.com/information/customer-relations.aspx>
Whether to cover or not is NOT the dealer's decision.

--
Tegger
Old April 29th 10, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

On Apr 28, 8:19*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> Elle > wrote in news:1576a559-c369-42b7-bc4e-
> :
>

> > My 2003 Civic had the SRS light on. I read the code myself. It turned
> > out to be the seat belt tensioner. Most, but it seems not all, dealers
> > cover this in the U.S. under the lifetime seat belt warranty on all
> > Hondas. (Apparently some dealers argue the part does not involve seat
> > belt integrity, and so it is not warrant-able. Yet other dealers say
> > the whole belt buckle must be replaced to correct the failed airbag
> > switch problem, so it is warrantable.)

> That's not a dealer warranty,

I am repeating what many people have posted at honda-tech.com: That
their dealer in the U.S. refused to cover the repair. Also, my seat
belt did everything you listed when I the belt tensioner yada SRS code
came up. Yet my dealer read this very code and declared it was fully
warrantied. I am relating hard facts here. Also, every dealer has, on
some repairs, some room to argue, with the manufacturer, for whether a
repair should be warrantied. It is not always as black and white as
you seem to suggest.
Old May 1st 10, 02:32 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Elle > wrote in
:

> On Apr 28, 8:19*pm, Tegger > wrote:
>> Elle > wrote in news:1576a559-c369-42b7-bc4e-
>> :
>>

>> > My 2003 Civic had the SRS light on. I read the code myself. It
>> > turned out to be the seat belt tensioner. Most, but it seems not
>> > all, dealers cover this in the U.S. under the lifetime seat belt
>> > warranty on all Hondas. (Apparently some dealers argue the part
>> > does not involve seat belt integrity, and so it is not
>> > warrant-able. Yet other dealers say the whole belt buckle must be
>> > replaced to correct the failed airbag switch problem, so it is
>> > warrantable.)

>> That's not a dealer warranty,

> I am repeating what many people have posted at honda-tech.com: That
> their dealer in the U.S. refused to cover the repair.

I'm not disputing what you say or what you've read. All I'm saying is
that it's not the dealer's place to refuse, unless the situation very
clearly contravenes one or more of American Honda's explicit criteria.
And even then, the car's owner has the option of calling American Honda
to question the dealer's decision.

> Also, my seat
> belt did everything you listed when I the belt tensioner yada SRS code
> came up. Yet my dealer read this very code and declared it was fully
> warrantied.

Then it would appear that the explosive tensioners are considered part
of the seat belt assembly.

Furthermore, it is impossible to determine if the tensioners are
functional/operable unless they are actually deployed (and thus
destroyed), so techs have to go by the SRS code to determine
operability. It's sort of like the old joke about the <insert favored
racial slur here> who tested all his matches by striking them to make
sure they'd work when actually needed.

> I am relating hard facts here. Also, every dealer has, on
> some repairs, some room to argue, with the manufacturer, for whether a
> repair should be warrantied. It is not always as black and white as
> you seem to suggest.

When it comes to the Lifetime Limited Seat Belt Warranty, it IS
black-and-white. American Honda makes it VERY clear to its dealers
what's warrantable and what is not.

Your car's Warranty Manuals (in the same envelope as the Owner's Manual)
should give you those very same particulars.

--
Tegger
Old May 2nd 10, 05:10 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Kaz Kylheku

On 2010-04-28, Guy > wrote:
> they want $103 to read the codes.

I just checked Ebay; OBD II scanners (the kind that plug into a
laptop's USB port) are going for less than $30.

Charging money to plug in a scanner and read codes is a criminal ripoff.

With just one $103 job, the equipment pays for itself three times over
again. The ``labor'' is just plugging a cable under your dashboard, and
pushing a button, about as difficult as using a vacuum cleaner.
Old May 2nd 10, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Kaz Kylheku > wrote in news:20100502130139.740
@gmail.com:

> On 2010-04-28, Guy > wrote:
>> they want $103 to read the codes.

> I just checked Ebay; OBD II scanners (the kind that plug into a
> laptop's USB port) are going for less than $30.
>
> Charging money to plug in a scanner and read codes is a criminal ripoff.
>
> With just one $103 job, the equipment pays for itself three times over
> again. The ``labor'' is just plugging a cable under your dashboard, and
> pushing a button, about as difficult as using a vacuum cleaner.

Most (if not all) places will refund that charge if a problem is found, and
they get the repair work.

Dealerships have to apply such charges to keep themselves from wasting
entire days on "tire-kickers".

--
Tegger