New *FREE* Corvette Discussion Forum

Old November 22nd 04, 04:01 AM
JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION

Default New *FREE* Corvette Discussion Forum

Please stop in to our new Corvette Discussion forum.

Registration and participation is 100% free.

http://jlaenterprises.ath.cx/phpbb2/index.php

See you there

Old November 23rd 04, 07:31 PM
C5Guy

What's wrong with here?

"JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION" > wrote
in message m...

Old November 23rd 04, 07:31 PM
C5Guy

Old November 23rd 04, 09:08 PM
Dad

My guess would be that he has been kicked off some of the other forums and
had to start his own to get anyone that don't know him to chat with. Just a
guess after he whined for months to get his second Corvette buy back in a
very short time. The cigarette lighter rattles when it is laying in the
ashtray?
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

"C5Guy" > wrote in message
> What's wrong with here?

Snip the spammmm

Old November 23rd 04, 09:08 PM
Dad

"C5Guy" > wrote in message
> What's wrong with here?

Snip the spammmm

Old November 25th 04, 07:46 PM
USVetteBroker

Hmm.. I read through the service history the poster has at a link on the forum
mentioned above and it seems that it is a bit "MORE" than just a rattle that
this person had with their Z06.

Doesn't seem so much that the car was messed up (granted there were alot of
problems with the car) but several dealers that provided substandard service on
the vehicle. It seems that they didn't know what they were doing when they
fixed the vehicle.

This is the service history they posted (seems pretty complete with Chevy
invoice numbers, etc)

2001 Millennium Yellow Corvette Z06 Service History AS OF JANUARY 9, 2002

2001 MIL YELLOW CORVETTE Z06 HARDTOP (DELIVERED BY SIR WALTER CHEVROLET,
RALEIGH, NC. 11/10/2000) HISTORY

12/06/00 – Invoice 225155 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC (Waited the
ENTIRE DAY for this to be completed) MILEAGE: 1080. Dropped off at start of
business on 12/6/00. Waited entire day and car was ready at close of business
12/6/00. Car was out of service 1 BUSINESS DAY (12/6/01) OUT OF SERVICE TO
DATE TOTAL: 1 BUSINESS DAY

1. Complained of improperly set trim height and alignment/steering wheel
position on vehicle. (1st complaint)

The alignment technician at Performance stated that he had never performed this
procedure. The trim heights specifications were not available for the Z06 and
they were obtained from GM suspension engineer Michael Neal and supplied to
Performance Chevrolet. The trim height adjustment was not performed correctly.
The technician had the front adjustment bolt all the way down on the front
passenger side and the front adjustment bolt all the way up on the front
drivers side. He was instructed that the bolts should be even. It took him
ALL DAY to accomplish this procedure that should have only taken 2 hours MAX.
He was instructed that the car needed to be realigned after the procedure. The
technician claims he did a NON COMPUTER alignment (WHICH I DID NOT REQUEST AS
STATED ON THE INVOICE) He did not align the car correctly and the steering
wheel was over 3 degrees off center to the left.

2. Left Rear Side Marker Bulb Burned Out (1st complaint)

The technician replaced the bulb.

3. Passenger Side A-Pillar molding loose. (1st complaint)

They ordered this molding and it turns out they ordered the incorrect part. I
had to return another day to have the correct piece installed.

4. Driver’s Side Front Speaker Buzzes (1st complaint).

The technician added some foam to correct the problem.

5. The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (1st complaint)

After driving the car ONLY 1080 miles, the car was low 1 QUART of oil. I was
told that this is perfectly normal and NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. 1 quart of oil
was added.

12/21/00 - Invoice 226716 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC (Waited the
ENTIRE DAY FOR THIS TO BE COMPLETED.) MILEAGE: 1762. Dropped off at start of
business on 12/21/00. Waited entire day and car was ready at close of business
12/21/00. Car was out of service 1 BUSINESS DAY (12/21/01) OUT OF SERVICE TO
DATE TOTAL: 2 BUSINESS DAYS

1. Trim Height improperly set and alignment/steering will position are not
correct. (2nd complaint)

The technician had previously improperly set the trim height. He was given
technical instructions from MICHAEL NEAL, GM SUSPENSION ENGINEER on how to
properly set the trim height for the Z06.

The technician had not performed a proper computer alignment or provided a
computer print out when he previously aligned the vehicle. The alignment specs
were obtained from MICHAEL NEAL, GM SUSPENSION ENGINEER. After this was
performed, the steering wheel and alignment were still not correct.

12/21/00 – Invoice 328544 JIFFY LUBE, 9207 Creedmoore Road, Raleigh, NC.
MILEAGE: 1791

1. Standard Oil Change

The technician was asked to check the oil level before changing the oil. He
stated that the vehicle was over 1 quart low on oil.!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTE: From December 22, 2000 until December 28, 2000, I drove the vehicle to
Little Rock Arkansas. This was from mileage 1800 to 3700. During this trip, I
had to add 1.5 quarts of oil to the vehicle.

12/28/00 – Invoice 227387 (Dropped the car off on 12/28/00 and the car was
not ready until 01/03/01.) MILEAGE: 3743. Dropped off afternoon of 12/28/00.
Called 1/2/01 and Performance staff stated car would be ready on 01/03/01. Car
was ready on AM of 01/03/01. Car was out of service 3 BUSINESS DAYS (12/29,
12/30, 1/2/01) OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 5 BUSINESS DAYS

1. Shifter Rattles on Gradual Motion.(1st complaint)

The technician at PERFORMANCE had placed the WHEEL LOCK key in the ashtray and
that is what was making the noise.

2. Car extremely difficult to shift into reverse and other gears are
very hard to shift into at times. (1st complaint)

I was told that this is NORMAL.

01/05/01 – Invoice 845555 JIFFY LUBE, 9207 Creedmoore Road, Raleigh, NC.
MILEAGE: 3777

1. The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (2ND complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added

01/24/01 – Invoice CVCS59375 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 4227 Dropped off
at start of business on 01/24/01. Waited a few hours for work to be completed
and car was ready 01/24/01. Car was out of service 0 BUSINESS DAYS. OUT OF
SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 5 BUSINESS DAYS

1. Standard Oil Change

The technician was asked to check the oil level before changing the oil. He
stated that the vehicle was almost 1 quart low on oil.!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Front Z06 Screen is defective on Passenger Side (1st complaint)

Was told that this item would be ordered

3. Right Front Lug Cover Missing

This was lost due to the technician at Performance Chevrolet’s failure to
retighten the nut upon reinstallation after removing the wheel to adjust the
trim height.

4. Rear Cover loose

The cut the carpet back and fixed it.

01/29/01 – Invoice CVCS59535 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 4353. Dropped
off at start of business on 01/29/01. Car was ready at close of business
02/07/01. Car was out of service 9 BUSINESS DAYS (1/29, 1/30, 1/31, 2/1, 2/2,
2/3, 2/5, 2/6, 2/7) OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 14 BUSINESS DAYS

Vehicle is difficult to shift and grinds when shifting into 3rd gear (2nd
complaint)

While out driving, I shifted into 3rd gear and something popped. After that,
every time I tried to shift into 3rd gear, it would grind very badly. Also,
the other gears were still difficult to shift into including reverse.

Ricky Edwards and the senior Transmission tech told me that the 3rd gear
blocking ring was broken. They said that the 3-4 synchronizer, 3rd gear and
blocking ring were replaced in the transmission after the entire rear end of
the car was disassembled.

AFTER I RECEIVED THE CAR BACK, THE GEARS STILL FELT DIFFICULT TO SHIFT BUT THE
3RD GEAR GRINDING WAS GONE.

Emergency Brake Cable Rattles (1st complaint) (THIS WAS DONE WHEN PICKING UP
THE CAR AND BROUGHT TO RICKY EDWARD’S ATTENTION.

While sitting, the emergency brake cable rattles in the back of the car. The
senior transmission tech adjusted the cable. The problem later reappeared
after driving down the street.

Front Console Cover distorted (1st complaint)

They replaced the cover

Front Z06 screen is defective on the passenger side (cont. of 1st complaint)

They told me that the front end would have to be removed from the car to
replace this screen. I opted to not let them do this at this time because of
the problems that could arise with the re-assembly and the amount of time the
car would be out of service conflicted with my time schedule.

03/06/01 – Invoice CVCS61004 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 5000. Dropped
off at start of business on 03/06/01. Waited a few hours for work to be
completed and car was ready 03/06/01. Car was out of service 0 BUSINESS DAYS.
OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 14 BUSINESS DAYS

1. The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (3rd complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added.

03/15/01 – Invoice CVCS61355 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 5535. Dropped
off at start of business on 03/15/01. Car was ready at close of business
03/22/01. Car was out of service 7 BUSINESS DAYS (3/15, 3/16, 3/17, 3/19,
3/20, 3/21, 3/22) OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 21 BUSINESS DAYS

Transmission is extremely difficult to shift and notchy. Also pops out of
second gear intermittently. Car is also difficult to shift into reverse. (3rd
complaint)

RICKY EDWARDS stated that he drove the car and could not duplicate the problem.
DONALD CREECH, one of the SIR WALTER TECHNICIANS stated that the car did this
three times while he was driving it. I was told that I would need to bring the
car back and there was nothing they could do to fix this problem at that time.

Rear deck lid rattles (1st complaint)

The rear deck lid rattles. I was told that the deck lid was loose and was
adjusted After this repair, the deck lid still rattled.

3. The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (4th complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. I was told that
this is a problem that GM is aware of and there is not fix at this time.

4 Alignment and steering wheel position not correct (3rd complaint)

The car was not correctly aligned at PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET. The steering wheel
was 3 degrees of center to the left. The car was aligned and steering wheel
was centered.

04/10/00 – Invoice CVCS62319 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 6275. Dropped
off at start of business on 04/10/01. Car was ready on 04/11/01. Car was out
of service 1 BUSINESS DAYS (4/10) OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 22 BUSINESS
DAYS

Thumping/Clunking noise coming from rear of car. (1st complaint)

Test drove the vehicle with RICKY EDWARDS. There was a thumping noise coming
from the rear of the car. It appears that the rear stabilizer bar was not
torqued down properly during the previous transmission repair done by SIR
WALTER.

Emergency Brake Cable rattles (2nd complaint).

The emergency brake cable still rattles. I was told by RICKY EDWARDS that this
problem was fixed. After driving the car, the cable still rattled.

3. The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (5th complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. I was told that
this is a problem that GM is aware of and there is no fix at this time.

08/2001 – JIFFY LUBE, 10840 Wakefield Commons Drive, Raleigh, NC. MILEAGE:
9,300 (Letter)

1. Jiffy Lube added 2 quarts oil due to low oil level

09/24/01 – Invoice 2719 715376 BAY1 JIFFY LUBE, 10840 Wakefield Commons
Drive, Raleigh, NC. MILEAGE: 11,554

Standard Oil Change

The technician was asked to check the oil level before changing the oil.
Invoice states 1.5 quarts low on oil.!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/11/01 – Invoice 267481 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC MILEAGE:
14669 Dropped off late morning/early afternoon on 12/11/01. Car was ready
afternoon of 12/21/01. Car was out of service 9 BUSINESS DAYS (12/11, 12/12,
12/13, 12/14, 12/15, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/21) OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE
TOTAL: 31 BUSINESS DAYS

1. Engine burns excessive oil, 1 quart every 400 – 500 miles. (6th
complaint/ 5th dealer presented complaint)

I was told that they replaced the #2 compression ring and the oil expander ring
on all the pistons of my engine per GM Service bulletin 01-06-01-023.

I do not know if this repair was successful. I will be keeping a DETAILED log
of the oil consumption of my vehicle if any from the today’s date.

2. Transmission is difficult to shift, including reverse and pops out of
2nd gear sometimes. (4th complaint)

I was told that they vehicle was road tested and they indeed verified that my
vehicle was difficult to shift and popped out of gear. They removed the
transmission from the vehicle and found:

The 2nd gear synchronizer was damaged.

The snap ring on the 2nd gear assembly had failed.

The reverse gear synchronize was damaged.

There was a leak at the final drive unit.

There was a leak at the output shaft.

They replaced the 2nd and reverse gears and synchronizers along with the shift
fork and seals.

I was told that these problems were probably caused by SIR WALTER CHEVROLET’S
(RALEIGH, NC) failure to properly repair the transmission back in January 2001.

3. Slow drip LEAK of oil out of vehicle (Appears to be coming out of the
rear differential or transmission. (1st complaint)

I was told that they discovered that there were leaks at the final drive unit
and output shafts. The seals were replaced. I was told that this probably was
caused by SIR WALTER CHEVROLET’S (RALEIGH, NC) failure to properly repair the
transmission back in January 2001.

4. Suspension making clunking noises. (2nd complaint)

I was told that this was address while the transmission and differential
assemblies were removed from the vehicle. I was told that they cleaned and
inspected the mounting surfaces and fasteners for the REAR suspension members.

When I picked up the vehicle I went to the vehicle and pulled it up and
immediately heard a creaking and clunking noise in the suspension when I came
to a stop. I went back into the service department office and asked for the
Chris Kimball, Shop Foreman and explained to him the problem. He asked me to
go on a test drive with him so that he could hear the problem himself. We
drove around the parking lot of Performance Chevrolet and he heard the noise
and said “I didn’t hear that on my test drive.” He asked me to pull the
car back around to the service department. After waiting an additional 20
minutes, I was told that they had to re-torque the front suspension cradle
bolts as they were loose. Something was said to the effect that they probably
should have done that anyway after they 1st road tested the car.

I have not yet road tested the car sufficiently to determine if this problem
has been corrected. I will be driving the vehicle to determine whether or not
this problem has been fixed and will not reoccur.

I was told that the original problem was probably caused by SIR WALTER
CHEVROLET’S (RALEIGH, NC) failure to reassemble the suspension components
when the performed the transmission repair in January 2001.

5. PAINT AND BODY PANEL CRACKING ON REAR LEFT QUARTER PANEL. (1st
complaint)

I was told that my vehicle has a fracture within the body panel on the left
rear quarter panel. I was told that this would be repaired under warranty as
it was obvious that this fracture was not caused by anything hitting the
vehicle from the inside or outside and was apparently caused by the body panel
being DEFECTIVE.

THIS PROBLEM WAS NOT CORRECTED!!!

I was told several times during the repair of my vehicle and upon picking it up
that Performance COULD NOT complete this repair on my vehicle. When I picked
up my vehicle, I informed my service advisor, Scott Lewis, that GM still had 4
CALENDAR DAYS to complete this repair. I asked him where I was to take the
vehicle and who and when would they be completing the repair. He stated to me
that HE DIDN’T know.

I informed Mr. Lewis that I was prepared to take the vehicle wherever GM
directed me to take it for this repair to be completed. I told him that I
wanted to do this and wanted to be sure the GM had the opportunity to complete
this repair before the expiration of the 15 calendar day final repair attempt
period. He again stated that HE DIDN’T know.

6. Rear facia is warped on Passenger side. (1st complaint)

I was told that they compared my rear facia to other Corvettes on the
Performance Chevrolet lot. I was told that all the vehicles have comparable
rear facia variances. I was told that sagging in my rear facia was normal.
While I was waiting to pick my vehicle up, I looked at all the other Corvettes
on their lot and NOT ONE had a rear facia that was sagging and not symmetrical
on both sides. My rear facia sags and IS NOT symmetrical on both sides. I
offered this information to Performance staff was GIVEN NO EXPLANATION!!!

THIS PROBLEM WAS NOT CORRECTED!!!

I have photographs of other Corvettes with the same rear facia as well as my
2000 Corvette and that these vehicles DO NOT exhibit any warping or sagging
instead they are symmetrical on both sides. I also compared my rear facia to
all the other Corvettes on their lot and NOT ONE had a rear facia that was
sagging and not symmetrical on both sides. My rear facia sags and IS NOT
symmetrical on both sides Due to this, I do not feel that the sagging/warping
is NORMAL.

7. Emergency Brake Cable Rattles. (3rd complaint)

I was told that my rear brake cables apparently were MISROUTED during the
transmission repair that was performed by SIR WALTER CHEVROLET (RALEIGH, NC.)
The cables were rubbing against the rear wheels. I was told that they rerouted
the brake cables.

I have not yet road tested the car sufficiently to determine if this problem
has been corrected. I will be driving the vehicle to determine whether or not
this problem has been fixed and will not reoccur.

8. Deck lid rattles. (2nd complaint)

I was told that the compartment separator attachments were loose and rattling.
They tightened the attachment points.

I have not yet road tested the car sufficiently to determine if this problem
has been corrected. I will be driving the vehicle to determine whether or not
this problem has been fixed and will not reoccur.

9. Alternator makes squealing noise sometimes. (1st complaint)

This problem was intermittent as had not occurred for some time. They
attempted to duplicate this problem and were not able to. There has been no
reoccurrence of this problem.

10. Finish on rims is damaged by FACTORY wheel weights. (1st complaint)

I was told the rim was scratched by the (incorrect) installation of the wheel
weight by the FACTORY. The weight came off during a repair by Sir Walter
Chevrolet and a new one was installed by Sir Walter Chevrolet during a previous
service visit.

THIS PROBLEM WAS NOT CORRECTED!!!

I had shown this to Mr. Ricky Edwards, Service Manager at Sir Walter Chevrolet,
and that he told me that they would replace the affected rims under warranty

11. Mufflers rattling. (1st complaint)

I was told that they were unable to duplicate this problem. I informed them
that this problem was intermittent. They stated that this problem was probably
caused by SIR WALTER CHEVROLET’S failure to reassemble components during the
transmission repair in January 2001.

I was told that this problem was corrected during the reassembly of components
during the transmission repair performed on this visit.

At this time, it appears that this problem has been corrected.

12. Passenger seat leather excessively worn without use. (1st complaint)

This was replaced. I was told that this was done as a “GOODWILL GESTURE.”

13. Memory feature sometimes will not work. (1st complaint)

I was told that they were unable to duplicate the problem. I was told that
they inspected the memory system and power seat operation and no fault was
found.

THIS PROBLEM WAS NOT CORRECTED!!!

The problem has occurred 5 times since I have picked up the car. When I insert
the key, the seat either does not move forward or instead moves backward
forcing itself into the rear gas tank wall

14. Excessive fuel consumption during highway cruising in 6th gear **16-18
mph average at 60 – 70mph**. (1st complaint)

I was told that they tested for this problem by driving the car approximately
14 miles and checking the instant average fuel consumption on the DIC. I was
told based off of this (INCORRECT) test, it was determined that there was NO
excessive fuel consumption.

Given the instant average on the DIC can vary from 1MPG to 70+ MPG within
seconds. THIS IS NOT THE GM PRESCRIBED MANNER TO TEST FOR EXCESSIVE FUEL
CONSUMPTION.

THIS PROBLEM WAS NOT CORRECTED!!!

15. Front console cover distorted and misaligned. (2nd complaint)

I was told that the console cover was warped. They replaced the item.

This problem has been corrected.

16. Brake rotors starting to warp. (1st complaint)

I was told that the rotors had excessive thickness variation that caused
pulsation when braking. The thickness variation has .005 on the left rotor and
..006 on the right rotor.

Both front rotors were RESURFACED.

It appears that at this time, the problem has been corrected. It has been
reported that a reoccurrence of this problem CAN happen after a REFUFACING
repair. I will be watching to see if this problem reoccurs.

17. Car has vibration at upper highway speeds. (1st complaint)

I was told that they found no vibration at 65-70mph. I was also told that the
alignment correction that was performed most likely would correct any problem
that I may have been experiencing.

18. Tires excessive uneven wear due to incorrect alignment. (1st complaint)

I was told that the tire wear was normal.

19. Alignment and steering wheel position not correct. (4th complaint)

The alignment and steering wheel position was corrected.

20. Passenger Side Z06 Screen Defective (2nd complaint)

I was told that they compared my Z06 Screen to other Z06 Corvettes on the
Performance Chevrolet lot. I was told that all the vehicles have comparable
Z06 Screen variances. I was told that defect in my Z06 Screen was normal.
While I was waiting to pick my vehicle up, I looked at all the other Z06
Corvettes on their lot and NOT ONE had a defective Z06 Screen like mine is. I
offered this information to Performance staff was GIVEN NO EXPLANATION!!!

THIS PROBLEM WAS NOT CORRECTED!!!

I have photographs of other Z06 Corvettes with the same screen and that these
vehicles DO NOT exhibit this defective condition. This defective condition was
brought to my attention by Donald Creech at Sir Walter Chevrolet and I in turn
brought it to the attention of Mr. Ricky Edwards, Service Manager at Sir
Walter Chevrolet. Mr. Edwards informed me that if I desired, he would have the
screen repaired/replaced under warranty and that it was a warranty issue.
Also, while I was waiting to pick my vehicle up, I looked at all the other Z06
Corvettes on the Performance Chevrolet lot and NOT ONE had a defective Z06
Screen like mine is. I offered this information to Performance staff was GIVEN
NO EXPLANATION!!!

Due to this, I do not feel that the defective condition of my screen is NORMAL.

21. Loud Whining Noise coming from rear of vehicle at idle (Differential or
Transmission.) (1st complaint)

I was told that this was caused by the malfunctioning and leaking transmission.

22. Passenger Seatbelt Jams. (1st complaint)

The seatbelt assembly was replaced. It appears at this time, the problem has
been corrected.

01/08/02 – Invoice CVCS72048 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 14957. Dropped
off in afternoon on 01/08/02. Waited for over an hour and car was ready on
01/08/02. Car was out of service 0 BUSINESS DAYS. OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE
TOTAL: 31 BUSINESS DAYS

1. Started oil consumption test to determine if ring replacement job
performed by Performance Chevrolet, Chapel Hill, NC was successful.

The oil level was measured and I was given a log to keep. I was instructed to
measure the oil level every time I put gas in the vehicle and to log the
results.

2. Clicking tapping noise coming from right rear of car while moving. The
noise will increase and decreased in frequency based upon vehicle speed.

I was informed that there was a large screw/bolt embedded in my right rear
tire. I was told that I should replace my tire.

Current Known Problems –

1. Engine burns excessive oil, 1 quart every 400 – 500 miles. (Unknown
if this problem has been corrected. There is currently an GM administered oil
consumption test in progress to determine if this problem was corrected by the
ring replacement repair completed by Performance Chevrolet, Chapel Hill, NC)
(7th complaint/6th dealer presented complaint)

2. Transmission is difficult to shift, including reverse and pops out of
2nd gear sometimes. (Unknown is this problem has been corrected as the car has
not been road tested sufficiently since the repair by Performance Chevrolet,
Chapel Hill, NC.) ( 5th complaint)

3. PAINT AND BODY PANEL CRACKING ON REAR LEFT QUARTER PANEL. (2nd
complaint)

4. Suspension making clunking noises. (Unknown if this problem has been
corrected as the car has not been road tested sufficiently since the repair by
Performance Chevrolet, Chapel Hill, NC.) (3rd complaint)

5. Rear facia is warped on Passenger side. (2nd complaint)

6. Finish on rims is damaged by FACTORY wheel weights. (2nd complaint)

7. Memory feature sometimes will not work. (2nd complaint)

8. Excessive fuel consumption during highway cruising in 6th gear **16-18
mph average at 60 – 70mph**. (2nd complaint)

9. Passenger Side Z06 Screen Defective. (3rd complaint)

**Note: Complaint numbers in “Current Known Problems” reflect the # of
times a problem will have been presented to a GM authorized dealer if the car
is taken in for a “FUTURE” service visit.

Also, the number of complaint in the above sections, does not reflect verbal
complaints/conversations with Service Manager’s/Staff at GM authorized
dealers.

Old November 25th 04, 07:53 PM
USVetteBroker

Again...I read the service history on the 2000 car and it seems like the same
type of issue -dealers that had provided shoddy/substandard/incompetent
service.

I would probably advise this person to find a dealer in their area that deals
with Corvettes on a regular basis instead of the dealers mentioned that seem to
have turned loose Joe-Bob From The Woods With His Bag Of Tools on this person's
cars

Here is the history on the 2000 car

2000 Millennium Yellow Corvette Coupe Service History

2000 MIL YELLOW CORVETTE (DELIVERED BY SIR WALTER CHEVROLET, RALEIGH, NC.
8/27/99) HISTORY

09/07/99 – Invoice CVCS40185X (Waited several hours for this to be completed)

1. Complained of water leaking on top of Passenger’s Rear Speaker and
wind noise from windows. (1st complaint)

Mr. Creech stated that the seal that runs over the top of the car was
defective. He ordered a replacement. I asked him if this would have been the
cause of some wind noise I was having in the windows of my car, and he said
that more than likely it was.

2. Defective center console lid (1st complaint)

They had a subcontractor come in to attempt to repair the lid. The repair was
unsatisfactory. Was told by my service rep that they would order a replacement
lid

3. Defective overhead trim piece. (1st complaint)

Trim piece that run inside along top of car had a serious plastic fracture that
made a large area appear white in color instead of black. They ordered a
replacement trim piece to be installed at a later date

4. Defective Rear Passenger’s side Tire Pressure Sensor.

They had to order a new sensor to be installed by Goodyear Tire in Raleigh

9/25/99 - Invoice CVCS40961 (Waited several hours for this to be completed)

1. Standard Oil Change

2. Complained about Wind Noise on both Driver’s and Passenger’s doors.
(2nd complaint.)

When getting up to speed, there would be a slight wind noise at the Drivers
window. At higher speeds, the windows of the Driver and Passenger would loose
their seal. I took Mr. Creech on a test drive and showed him this problem and
he concurred. He said that the doors would need to be aligned. After he
aligned the doors, the problem became worse. Mr. Creech then stated that he
did not want to work any further on this problem because he was afraid that it
would make the problem worse and he knew of no fix for this problem

09/30/99 – Invoice CVCS40708 (Waited several hours for this to be completed)

1. Hood and headlight doors misaligned (1st complaint)

This will be sent to the dealers body shop TRUE2FORM Collision Repair Center
for repair at a later date

2. Rear Bumper cover misaligned. (1st complaint)

This was determined to be due to expansion and contraction due to weather.
TRUE2FORM will take a look at it and reconfirm.

3. Defective overhead trim piece (cont. of 1st complaint)

They replaced the trim panel

4. Defective center console lid (2ND Complaint)

Back during the 9/07/99 service visit, a subcontractor attempted to repair the
lid. The repair was unsatisfactory. I WAS TOLD AT THAT TIME BY JOE FREEMAN
THAT HE WOULD IMMEDIATELY ORDER A CENTER CONSOLE LID. DURING MY 9/25/99
SERVICE VISIT, I ASKED JOE FREEMAN IF HE HAD ORDERED THE LID AND HE ASSURED ME
THAT HE HAD AND THAT THERE HAD BEEN NO PROBLEM. DURING THIS VISIT, DEBRA
RINGNEY CHECKED AND FOUND OUT THAT JOE FREEMAN HAD NOT ORDERED THE LID AND SHE
HAD TO ORDER IT AT THIS TIME.

5. Steering Wheel not centered properly (1st complaint)

The steering wheel was not centered properly. I was told that I would have to
come in at a later date to have this problem corrected.

6. Passenger’s Seatbelt is Jammed (1st complaint)

Donald Creech untangled the belt and told me that should fix the problem for
good

7. Weather strip bubbled up at rear of top of car and complained of water
leaking on top of Passenger’s Rear Speaker. (cont. of 1st complaint)

Return to install defective seal ordered on previous job. This did not fix the
wind noise problem that I discussed with Mr. Creech. It did fix the water leak
problem.

8. Defective Rear Passenger’s side Tire Pressure Sensor. (cont. of 1st
complaint)

Was sent to Goodyear Tire this day to have the Tire Pressure sensor installed.
They slightly marred the wheel finish when removing the old wheel weight

11/06/99 – Invoice CVCS42573 (Dropped the car off on 11/02/99 and the car was
late two days from promised date.)

1. Hood, headlight covers misaligned. Crack on passenger side body side
molding since delivery. Rock chip on passenger’s door since delivery. (cont.
of 1st complaint)

The car was sent to True 2 Form Body shop for correction. They aligned the
hood correctly. One of the two headlight covers was aligned correctly, the
other was not. True 2 Form has stated that I can return to have that
corrected. They repaired the Body Side Molding, but they did not fix the rock
chip. This will reflect the 11/12/99 invoice – CVCS43064.

2. Steering Wheel not centered properly. (cont. of 1st complaint)

Sherman put the car on the machine and found that the alignment was off. He
corrected the problem and provided printout showing the car was now aligned
properly

3. Center console lid defective. (2nd complaint)

They replaced the lid since the previous repair was not satisfactory

4. Complained about Wind Noise on both Driver’s and Passenger’s
doors. (3rd Complaint.)

Told them that the previous fix did not fix the problem but made it worse. Was
told that I must reschedule for a sub-contractor to look at the problem

5. Standard Oil Change

6. Lug nut cover lost

Lug cover was lost due to not being installed at factory properly. Cap was
placed on order

11/15/99 – Invoice CVCS43168

1. Complained about Wind Noise on both Driver’s and Passenger’s doors.
(Cont. of 3rd complaint.)

Sub-contractor took a look at the problem and said that seals were not seated
properly. He reset seals and test drove. Problem still was there. He told me
that all Corvettes had this problem and there was no way to fix it.

01/03/00 – Invoice CVCS44866

1. Standard Oil Change

After the oil change, I noticed a squeaking noise coming from the rear of the
car. I was concerned that the car was not lifted properly during the oil
change and I need to return another day to report this problem

01/05/00 – Invoice CVCS44986

1. Complained about loud squeaking noise coming from rear suspension (1st
complaint)

I was told that there was no problem or squeaking coming from the suspension

01/07/00 – Invoice CVCS45063

1. Complained about loud squeaking noise coming from rear suspension (2nd
complaint)

Sherwood took a road test with me and determined that there was INDEED a
squeaking noise coming from the rear suspension. He lubricated the rear
stabilizer bar bushings with a special lubricant that fixed the problem.

2. Exhaust leak coming from Driver’s side rear exhaust joint. (1st
complaint)

This problem was the result of a bad weld from the factory in the Driver’s
Side rear exhaust joint. This problem resulted in a slight exhaust leak. They
ordered a new Driver’s side exhaust assembly to be installed at a later date.

01/18/00 – Invoice CVCS45463 (Waited several hours for this to be completed)

1. Exhaust leak coming from Driver’s side rear exhaust joint. (cont. of
1st complaint)

This trip was made to replace the assembly that was ordered on the previous
job.

***(NOTE: After installation of the new assembly, the exhaust tips were not
aligned properly. This had a very unpleasing appearance. I was told by the
mechanic that he did not know how to fix this problem. Ricky Edwards then told
me that I would need to take it to a muffler shop, pay for the repair out of my
pocket and bring back the receipt for reimbursement. I took the car to Midas
Muffler on Capitol Blvd. They were able to fix this problem in 10 minutes.)

03/xx/00 – SPECIAL ITEM. ************

1. I gave this list to date to Mr. George Anderson, the owner of SIR
WALTER CHEVROLET. He assured me that the problems would be taken care of and
presented this list to Mr. Ricky Edwards, the service manager for Sir Walter
Chevrolet.

03/08/00 – Invoice CVCS47084

1. Complained about Wind Noise and water leaks on both Driver’s and
Passenger’s doors (4th complaint)

The car is still leaking water and wind noise. Donald Creech adjusted adjusted
both door’s glass. (I had to do the research on how to adjust the door glass
and give it to Donald Creech because he stated he did not know how to do it
unless he removed the whole door panel) The car continued to leak and have
wind noise after this repair

2. Blue Transparent Top rattles and appears to be out of adjustment.

After raining or washing the car, the top makes a squeaking/rattle noise on the
Driver’s rear corner. The only way I have been able to correct this is to
remove the top, blow out the water that has accumulated between in the seal
channel with the driver’s rear corner of the top fits and reinstall the top.
This appears to be caused by the top not be adjusted correctly. It appears
that a screw was not previously installed properly when the drivers side seal
was installed on a previous visit. This was pointed out by Mr. George Anderson
and corrected by Donald Creech.

3. Squeaking noise coming from Dash Pad over instrument cluster when
depressed.

I was told by Donald Creech that he tighted the dash bolts up. The invoice
copy says that he found no squeak or cause of a squeak.

4. Vehicle slightly unstable at speed while taking right hand sweepers,
cupping of Front Right passenger tire.

While taking right hand sweeper turn at highway speeds, the car does not feel
as stable as it does in the left hand sweepers at the same speeds. I spoke of
this problem with a GM Bowling Green Factory representative at the Detroit Auto
Show. She stated that this problem was not normal and probably was attributed
to an incorrect alignment or suspension setup. The Front Right passenger tire
is also starting to cup on the inside edge. I am religious about keeping the
tires inflated to the factory recommendations in my owner’s manual. It was
determined that there is a GM bulletin about the alignment specs from the
factory being incorrect. A new set of front tires were ordered and an
alignment performed

5. Vehicle height (Gap between tops of wheels and fender is more than
other cars with same suspension configuration.) (1st complaint)

Have been told that this problem is easy to correct by adjustment points on the
vehicle’s suspension. Have provided my service representative with the phone
number of a C5 Corvette Specialist who can explain where these adjustment
points are. This was done because the suspension mechanic at Sir Walter said
he did not know of any adjustment points on the C5 suspension. The vehicle
height was adjusted to the best of Sherwood’s ability, but the height was
unable to be matched on both sides of the car.

6. Noise coming from Transmission upon shutdown, difficult jerky
transition in to 1st gear from standstill, jerky shifts (1st complaint)

While the car is in neutral and the clutch not depressed, upon shutdown, the
clutch assembly or throw-out bearing makes a loud clacking rattle noise. This
noise has been happening since the night I took delivery of the vehicle.
Thought it was normal (The sound described on the owner’s video) until I
heard other Corvettes of the same configuration do not make that noise. Also,
engagement of the clutch is very jerky at times. I was told that there is no
problem and the noise is normal for Corvettes and no technician was ordered to
look at the problem.

7. Brakes have slight pulsing at slow stops. (1st complaint)

Possibly due to know Rotor Warping problem with C5 Corvette’s. GM has put
out an administrative bulletin on this problem and it states that brake rotors
must be replaced (NOT TURNED) when this problem occurs. The rotors were
replaced

8. Steering Column makes a groaning/squeaking noise when turning the
wheel.

Sherwood lubricated the column and said that he would have to do a better job
at it when the engine was not as hot.

03/23/00 – Invoice CVCS47923 (Vehicle has set for 3 days without action)

1. Complained about Wind Noise and water leaks on both Driver’s and
Passenger’s doors. (5th complaint.)

The car was still having this problem. After speaking with Ken Fichtner (Owner
of Fichtner Chevrolet in Laurel, Montana and has a C5 himself) he has stated
that this problem is totally fixable by adjusting the WINDOW TIP-IN
adjustments in the doors. Mr. Fichtner stated that this procedure is outlined
in the Corvette Service Manual. (REFERENCE THE STATEMENT MADE BY THE
SUBCONTRACTOR ON THE PREVIOUS JOB WHO STATED THAT ALL CORVETTES HAVE THIS
PROBLEM AND THERE IS NO FIX FOR IT.) Donald Creech installed new weather
strips to attempt to fix this problem. There was still wind noise and leaks
after this repair.

2. Vehicle height (Gap between tops of wheels and fender is more than
other cars with same suspension configuration.) (2nd complaint)

The vehicle height was adjusted to the best of Sherwood’s ability on a
previous service visit, but the height was unable to be matched on both sides
of the car. He was lacking a tool that was needed per the GM service manual
and the tool will have to be ordered. I WAS TOLD BY SHERWOOD AND RICHARD THAT
THIS TOOL WOULD BE ORDERED IMMEDIATELY AND SHOULD BE IN WITHIN A FEW DAYS..

3. Noise coming from Transmission upon shutdown, difficult jerky
transition in to 1st gear from standstill, jerky shifts (2nd complaint)

While the car is in neutral and the clutch not depressed, upon shutdown, the
clutch assembly or throw-out bearing makes a loud clacking rattle noise. This
noise has been happening since the night I took delivery of the vehicle.
Thought it was normal (The sound described on the owner’s video) until I
heard other Corvettes of the same configuration do not make that noise. Also,
engagement of the clutch is very jerky at times. I was told that there is no
problem and the noise is normal for Corvettes

4. Blue Transparent Top rattles and appears to be out of adjustment.

After raining or washing the car, the top makes a squeaking/rattle noise on the
Driver’s rear corner. The only way I have been able to correct this is to
remove the top, blow out the water that has accumulated between in the seal
channel with the driver’s rear corner of the top fits and reinstall the top.
This appears to be caused by the top not be adjusted correctly. It appears
that a screw was not previously installed properly when the drivers side seal
was installed on a previous visit. This was pointed out by Mr. George Anderson
and corrected by Donald Creech.

5. Standard Oil Change

4/15/00 – Special Item **WRITTEN COMPLAINT TO GM CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE**

1. During a trip to the official C5 Birthday Bash at the General Motors GM
Corvette Assembly plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky, I spoke with C5 Project
Chief Engineer Dave Hill. I told him about the problem that I have been having
with the wind noise of my car

Mr. Dave Hill had me file an official written complain with GM Customer
Assistance regarding this problem. This complaint was filed on 4/15/2000. GM
contacted the dealer and spoke with Mr. Ricky Edwards about this problem and
advised him on the solution to fix this problem. I was contacted approx. 1
week later by GM Customer Assistance to inform me that they had contacted the
dealer and informed him on how to correct the problem. I was also contacted by
Mr. Ricky Edwards and told that GM contacted him and informed him on how to
correct the problem.

06/15/00 – Invoice CVCS49931

1. Wind noise and water leaks from both doors (6th complaint)

Donald Creech adjusted the blowout clips to GM SPECS. The problem still
existed after this repair. I was told that he would order new weather strips
to fix the air/water leak problem

06/28/00 – Invoice CVCS51636

1. Torn stitching/leather on driver’s seat. (1st complaint)

The drivers side upper seat cover is tearing on the front stitching side. A
new seat cover was order to be installed at a later date.

2. Drivers Side Seat base of seat is loose. (1st complaint)

BASE of drivers seat rocks slightly upon braking and acceleration. The seat
was adjusted by Donald Creech. Upon driving the car away, the seat still
rocked slightly.

3. Windows seals (Driver’s and Passenger’s) leaking water and wind
noise (7th complaint)

Both windows are now leaking water and there is still window noise at speed in
the car. Donald Creech stated that he water tested the car and could find no
leak. He told me that he ordered new weather strips for the top of the car to
be installed at a later date. Later that day, it rained and the car
excessively leaked water on both the passenger and driver’s side of the car.
The car was brought back to the service department to show that the car was
leaking water.

4. Brakes have slight pulsing at slow stops. (2nd complaint/occurrence of
this problem in less that 8,000 miles)

Possibly due to know Rotor Warping problem with C5 Corvette’s. GM has put
out an administrative bulletin on this problem and it states that brake rotors
must be replaced (NOT TURNED) when this problem occurs. The rotors were
replaced. I stated my concern to Richard the shop foreman the it is possible
that since they did not replace the pads when they replaced the rotors several
months before, perhaps this was attributed to the premature warping of the
rotors. I also stated that I had observed the technicians not following the
service manual procedure for torque of the wheels lugs with a torque wrench but
instead just using a plain impact wrench.

5. Cargo area trim above right rear storage compartment is warped and
sticking out.

The cargo area carpet trim above the right rear storage compartment is warped
and sticking out. Donald Creech said that he heated the material and applied
velcro to back side of the material to correct this problem.

6. Inner part of SCOOP on drivers side has come loose and is hanging and
rattling

The inner part of the SCOOP on the driver’s side has come loose and is
hanging and rattling. Donald Creech accessed the scoop behind the fender well
and reattached the front screws. He did not reattach the rear screw and the
SCOOP still rattles and is not firmly in place like the passenger side scoop.
This was show to Mr. Ricky Edwards and he stated that it would be taken care of
at a future service visit.

7. Rattle coming from Passenger and Driver’s side Rear Speaker
Area/overhead trim piece area (1st complain)

Donald Creech looked at this and said he could find no rattle. I later
corrected the driver’s side rattle myself by fixing the dislodged overhead
trim piece. I returned at a later date and showed Mr. Creech where the
passengers side rattle was coming from and he stated that he would fix it at a
later date.

8. Fog lights aimed too low.

The fog lights are aimed too low. This was corrected by Mr. Donald Creech. He
said that he re-aimed the fog lights. That evening I discovered that the fog
lights were not aligned evenly. The driver’s side fog light was aimed lower
than the passenger’s side fog light.

9. Oil change and check of transmission and rear differential fluid
levels.

The oil and filter were changed. I was told that the transmission and rear
differential fluid levels were checked and they were full.

10. Wiper Blades need to be replaced

The wiper blades were replaced.

11. Passenger’s Side seatbelt becomes jammed (2nd occurrence)

A part was ordered to replace this assembly per a GM Recall. The part is to be
installed on a future service visit.

08/07/00 – Invoice CVCS53277

1. Squeaking noise coming from shifter. (1st complaint)

Squeaking noise coming from shifter when shifting between gears. I was told
that I would need to have it looked at during another visit as the technician
was not available.

2. Torn stitching/leather on driver’s seat. (cont. of 1st complaint)

The drivers side upper seat cover was ordered on another visit and Donald
Creech installed the new cover. During installation, the new seat cover was
torn and will need to be replaced yet again. I called Mr. Ricky Edwards and
asked if the new cover could just be ordered and was told that I needed to
bring the car in so that he could look at it. I brought it in and he looked at
it and said that he would order a new seat cover to be installed at my next
service visit.

3. Windows seals (Driver’s and Passenger’s) leaking water and wind
noise (8th complaint)

Both driver’s and passenger’s weather strips had been ordered on a previous
visit and Donald Creech informed me that he spoke to GM Tech Support (GM
TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE) and was informed on how to correct the leaking water and
wind noise on both seals. Both seals were installed and special glue was
applied to the weather strips and the screw in points according to GM Tech
support instructions. AFTER THIS REPAIR, THE CAR IS AGAIN LEAKING WATER ON
BOTH SIDES AND WIND NOISE.

4. Rattle coming from top overhead plastic trip piece (2nd complain)

A new plastic retaining screw was installed to stop this rattle

5. Passenger’s Side seatbelt becomes jammed (cont. of 2nd occurrence)

A part was ordered on a previous visit. The wrong part was ordered and a new
part will have to be ordered. THE SEATBELT AGAIN BECAME JAMMED A DAY AFTER THE
SERVICE VISIT.

6. Grinding noise coming from rear in right and left hand turns. (1st
complaint)

Sherwood took a look at this and said that he did not know what was causing it
and that I would have to bring it back when it got worse. THIS PROBLEM STILL
EXISTS AND IS NOT RELATED TO THE FRONT BUSHINGS OR THE HEIGHT OF THE CAR. This
issue will be presented again at the next service visit.

7. Vehicle height needs to be adjusted

A special tool was supposed to be ordered back in March 2000. Over the past 6
months, I had to make seven (7) verbal requests of Sherwood and Richard, the
shop manager, on the status of the tool. Each time I was told that they did
not know the status of the tool and that they would have to reorder it. The
tool finally came in and Sherwood found that the front passenger leaf spring
bushing has become destroyed and needed to be replaced. The complete front
leaf spring assembly was ordered. The rear height was adjusted and is correct.

09/05/00 – SPECIAL ITEM

1. This complete HISTORY was sent to Mr. George Anderson, the owner of SIR
WALTER CHEVROLET in Raleigh, NC.

09/06/00 – SPECIAL ITEM

1. This complete HISTORY along with cover letter was faxed to Mr. Bill
Lovejoy, General Motors Group Vice President North America Vehicle Sales,
Service and Marketing as well as to Mr. Will Cooksey, General Motors Corvette
Assembly Plant Manager.

09/06/00 – SPECIAL ITEM

1. I spoke with Mr. Dave Peacy, Corvette Brand Quality Manager. I
informed him of all the items in my vehicle’s service history. He told me
that many of these items were know problems with the Corvette and many of them
are able to be corrected. He offered to send a regional tech to the dealership
to remedy the problems. I told him that I would let him know

what I wanted to do after I received response to my lemon complaint.

09/07/00 – SPECIAL ITEM

1. I spoke to Mr. Mark McGhehan, General Motors Corvette Assembly Plant
Quality Manager. Mr. Will Cooksey passed along my letter to Mr. McGhehan. I
was told that there was no action that he could take in regards to my lemon
complaint and that he could only use the information to help ensure that future
vehicle are check for better quality assurance.

09/11/00 – SPECIAL ITEM

1. I was contacted by Ms. Mary Kingston on behalf of Mr. Bill Lovejoy. I
was told that she would be contacting the Area Manager and get back to me
within a few days.

09/15/00 – SPECIAL ITEM

1. I was contacted by the Zone Area Manager for my area. He informed me
that he is going to authorized a GM REPURCHASE/REFUND of my Corvette. Mr. Jim
Cuccurello stated that I more than qualified for a replacement/refund according
to the NC Lemon Law Statues. He stated that I would be contacted by the GM Buy
Back department in Detroit.

09/22/00 – SPECIAL ITEM

1. I was contacted by MS. Courtney Brown with the GM Buyback Department.
I faxed to Ms. Brown a complete list of the items I was to be reimbursed for
according to the NC Lemon Law Statues and copies of all receipts of aftermarket
added items.

09/25/00 – SPECIAL ITEM

1. I was contacted by Ms. Courtney Brown and told the Mr. Cuccurello had
stated that some of the entitlements under the NC Lemon Law Statutes would not
be paid to me. Later that evening, I drafted and faxed the letter dated
9/25/00 with reasons why I should be paid the amounts and the supporting
statute segments that supported these reasons.

10/00 – SPECIAL ITEM

1. During my trip to Bowling Green to watch my 01 Z06 being built, this
car was brought into the Corvette Plant to correct the water leaks and wind
noise problems.

11/10/00 – SPECIAL ITEM

1. Car was turned into Sir Walter Chevrolet to be sent to
General Motors. General Motors issued me a check per our agreement.

Current Problems at turn in. –

1. Squeaking noise coming from shifter (cont. of 1st complaint)

2. Front Passenger’s side bushing is destroyed, front leaf spring has
been ordered and needs to be replaced, front vehicle height re-adjusted and
alignment performed

3. Grinding Noise coming from rear of vehicle while making right and left
hand turns (2nd complaint)

4. Torn Stitching and material on Top Part of Driver’s Side Seat (2nd
complaint)

5. Driver’s Side Seat Base is loose (2nd complaint)

6. Passenger’s Side Seat Belt Becomes jammed (cont. of 2nd occurrence)

7. Torn Stitching on Base part of Driver’s Seat.

8. Rims finish damaged by factory wheel weights (Mr. Ricky Edwards was
informed of this on my March 2000 service visit and informed me that they could
either replace or have the wheels repaired at a later date.

Corvette forum down ? rodent Corvette 6 October 11th 04 05:36 PM
H.I.D. Lighting and best forum discussion sites Robinson Corvette 8 September 11th 04 12:37 AM