Volkswagon unveils car that gets 282 miles to the gallon.

Old May 21st 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Useful Info

Default Volkswagon unveils car that gets 282 miles to the gallon.

Read all about it, he http://Muvy.org

Old May 21st 07, 03:09 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
EdV

Add acetone and K&N and this baby will go 290 mpg : )

Old May 21st 07, 01:49 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Michael Pardee

"EdV" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Add acetone and K&N and this baby will go 290 mpg : )
>
> On May 20, 9:42 pm, Useful Info > wrote:
>> Read all about it, hehttp://Muvy.org

Watch out for fuel saving actions, though. If the tires are properly
inflated and you drive smoothly, you will have to ride the brakes to keep
the tank from overflowing.

Old May 21st 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
EdV

I dont understand why VW described it as a 6 speed manual transmission
that shifts automatically. If its a manual its a manual, if its an
automatic its automatic. It only has forward neutral and reverse so
its automatic

Old May 21st 07, 03:37 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
jp2express

Just a guess:

The fluids in a traditional automatic transmission would rob that 8 HP
Evinrude of precious power. Instead, they use a manual transmission and add
electronic solenoids and switches to change the gears whenever the software
calculates the optimal (i.e. most fuel efficient) shifting point.

Maybe? But then, I'm sure Dan G would say, "All things being the same, you
don't have a clue what you are talking about."

Old May 21st 07, 03:53 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
bill

On May 21, 9:02 am, EdV > wrote:
> I dont understand why VW described it as a 6 speed manual transmission
> that shifts automatically. If its a manual its a manual, if its an
> automatic its automatic. It only has forward neutral and reverse so
> its automatic

Automatic transmission is a specific type of automatic shifting
mechanism. The normal automatic transmission has significant losses
associated with it, amounting to approx 5-10% of power throughput.
What they've done is taken a standard manual shift transmission and
strapped an automatic shifting aparatus to it.

Old May 21st 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
motsco_[_1_]

"Volkswagon unveils car that gets 2.82 miles to the gallon."

:-) It's called the _T_O_U_R_E_G_ :-)

'Curly'
Old May 21st 07, 04:25 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
jp2express

Isn't that what I said? Or, isn't shifting manually for the driver the same
as an electronic device that shifts a manual transmission?

Old May 21st 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Tegger

bill > wrote in
oups.com:

> On May 21, 9:02 am, EdV > wrote:
>> I dont understand why VW described it as a 6 speed manual
>> transmission that shifts automatically. If its a manual its a manual,
>> if its an automatic its automatic. It only has forward neutral and
>> reverse so its automatic

> Automatic transmission is a specific type of automatic shifting
> mechanism.

Yes...

> The normal automatic transmission has significant losses
> associated with it, amounting to approx 5-10% of power throughput.

Not quite that much any more. This was true in the days of the
Oldsmobile Hydra-Matic (1940), and the Buick Dynaflow (1948). These days
it's almost 100% efficient.

And in any case, the inefficiencies have nothing to do with the
SHIFTING, but instead to do with the method of disconnecting engine
power from the gearbox PRIOR to shifting.

> What they've done is taken a standard manual shift transmission and
> strapped an automatic shifting aparatus to it.

The gearbox setup is unimportant. You can have a selective-shift
sliding-gear box, constant-mesh dog-clutch box, or a planetary unit or
anything else, all automatically controlled.

You can have a non-automatic planetary unit too, like the Ford
Model-T's. (I'd be inclined to call that one a "manual", but the pedants
among us would insist on the more correct term "pedal".)

Bendix first developed an automatic clutch in 1932. This was offered on
regular manual-style transmissions on several US makes. These worked
well when set up properly, but were hideously high-maintenance, finicky
and unreliable.

The primary reason automakers eventually reverted to planetary gearboxes
for automatic operation was that it was practically impossible to impose
automatic control on a regular sliding-gear or constant-mesh
manual-style box with the technology of the day.

These days, with computer controls, there is no technical reason a
manual-style transmission cannot be used with an automatic (or
semi-auto) clutch and shifter. And so they do exist: SAAB had the
Sensonic in 1995. Ferrari's F1 team had the Selespeed unit around 1990.

The technology may eventually filter down to plebeian road cars one day,
but that day would have to come once the mainstream automakers decide to
replace their entire transmission tooling.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 21st 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Tegger

Tegger > wrote in news:Xns9937B54D67FDEtegger@
207.14.116.130:

> And in any case, the inefficiencies have nothing to do with the
> SHIFTING, but instead to do with the method of disconnecting engine
> power from the gearbox PRIOR to shifting.

....Plus slippage at idle and on acceleration. I forgot that.

Slippage at idle is a fundamental function of the fluid coupling, and the
reason it was adopted in the first place.