2002 Accord V6 only 12 mpg

Old November 9th 04, 01:27 AM
Red98

Default 2002 Accord V6 only 12 mpg

My daughter's 2002 Accord EX V6 Sedan has suddenly dropped down to 12 mpg.
Dealer said nothing wrong--of course, car had 35,600 miles on it. It's now
over the 36K warranty, but the previous complaint should help keep the issue
alive under warranty. Also, the radio control buttons on the steering wheel
have stopped working. Any ideas as to causes/cures ?

Old November 9th 04, 01:46 AM
Bubba

As for the sudden decrease in mileage, don't overlook the "not-so-obvious"
things like simple fuel theft or a leak in the tank or fuel lines.
Suggestion, trade cars w/the daughter for a week and see how you do with
it. That drop is significant enough that it could account for suddenly
feeding two tanks instead of just one.

Old November 9th 04, 03:30 AM
Michael Pardee

A sleeper in low fuel economy is a bad thermostat. It might be hard to get
them to shotgun the thermostat out under warranty, though.

Old November 9th 04, 08:49 AM
Koen

An other reason for "sudden thirst" is a malfunction in the injection
electronics. The unit then switches to some emergency-program, resulting in
higher fuel consumption and different (decreased) engine performance.
Your dealer can heck this in no time, hooking the electronics up to their
diagnose-system.

Obviously, there can be lots of reasons. A modern injected engine is a
complex system.
Leaking fuel can be smelled, though, certainly when the car has been parked
in a garage.

K.

Old November 9th 04, 12:51 PM
Michael Pardee

"Koen" > wrote in message
> An other reason for "sudden thirst" is a malfunction in the injection
> electronics. The unit then switches to some emergency-program, resulting
> in
> higher fuel consumption and different (decreased) engine performance.
> Your dealer can check this in no time, hooking the electronics up to their
> diagnose-system.

Can that happen without turning on the "check engine" light?

Mike

Old November 9th 04, 01:00 PM
Koen

No, as far as my knowledge goes, that engine light has to light up indeed.
If that's not the case, there is probably something else wrong. Really hard
to tell just by reading a post.
Maybe the driver wears heavy shoes? ;-)

Just kiddin'...

K.

Old November 9th 04, 05:16 PM
TomP

"Red98" > wrote in message news:<Z9Ujd.16507$5K2.4331@attbi_s03>...
> My daughter's 2002 Accord EX V6 Sedan has suddenly dropped down to 12 mpg.
> Dealer said nothing wrong--of course, car had 35,600 miles on it. It's now
> over the 36K warranty, but the previous complaint should help keep the issue
> alive under warranty. Also, the radio control buttons on the steering wheel
> have stopped working. Any ideas as to causes/cures ?

MPG dropped to 12 from what? That is the question... My
sister-in-law gets consistant 13 mph from her '01 Accord V6. Of
course this is all in town (greater Los Angeles area) driving.

Inspected the air filter lately?
Winter fuel can have a slight impact too.
Old November 9th 04, 06:42 PM
Jason

In article <Z9Ujd.16507$5K2.4331@attbi_s03>, "Red98" > wrote:

> My daughter's 2002 Accord EX V6 Sedan has suddenly dropped down to 12 mpg.
> Dealer said nothing wrong--of course, car had 35,600 miles on it. It's now
> over the 36K warranty, but the previous complaint should help keep the issue
> alive under warranty. Also, the radio control buttons on the steering wheel
> have stopped working. Any ideas as to causes/cures ?

You need to let us know whether you live in a large city or small town or
in the country. For example, if you live in a large city and end up
spending about an hour each morning and each evening in a huge traffic jam
that moves really slow--the 12 mpg is normal. On the other hand, if you
live in the country and never or only rarely encounter a traffic jam--12
mpg is far below normal. I only measure my gas mileage when I go on a long
trip that has no traffic jams. If I encounter a large city, I pull over at
a gas station and fill up before I encounter any traffic jams.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old November 14th 04, 04:44 AM
kyle lallave

for the mpg one the accord buy an AEM cold air intake it will add hp and mpg
alot...for the radio controls on the steering wheel maybe a fuse or
something got disconnected

2002 Audi S8 - A6 Questions LIW Audi 2 November 14th 04 06:38 PM
new Honda Accord Vs old Honda Accord PD Honda 9 October 21st 04 05:21 AM
2003 Accord power lock problem Steve Driska Honda 0 September 26th 04 04:02 AM