1990 honda civic dx brake problem

Old October 3rd 04, 06:34 PM
budz

Default 1990 honda civic dx brake problem

my brake always stick on me after traveling a short distance. I' ve been
trying to fix I blade it but still stick on me. what should I do? please
help

Old October 3rd 04, 07:31 PM
Randolph

budz wrote:

> my brake always stick on me after traveling a short distance. I' ve been
> trying to fix I blade it but still stick on me. what should I do? please
> help

Perhaps you can describe the problem in a little more detail. Are you
talking about the parking brake or the regular brakes? Front, rear or
both? What exactly is sticking? Do they ever become unstuck?

Oh, and don't expect an answer in 20 minutes, no need to repost your
question.
Old October 4th 04, 07:16 AM
Gershund

I think you need to purge the whole brake system, change the whole fluid!..

Is the fluid dark?...When was the last time you purged your brakes?...

As a do it yourself thing (one man bleeder job) I'll suggest you to do the
next:

Buy one of those "speed bleeders" http://www.speedbleeder.com/ and even if
you don't find the right size for your calipers it won't matter.

Attach a a nice piece of clear tubbing (like the ones used for aquarium
pumps) on to the threaded part (bottom), be shure to attach or clamp it w/a
piece of wire, so when you step on your brakes while bleeding, your tubbing
won't get popped out of the "speed bleeder".

Then the other end of the clear tubbing gets attached to the bleeder screw
that you have on your caliper, and be shure to attach it well with a wire
too!..

The "speed bleeder" has a little ball inside that allows you to pump the old
fluid out, and doesn't allows the air to get back into your brake system.
This is better than any other device you could buy at any place to purge or
bleed your brakes!...

Just be shure not to leave your brake fluid reservoir with out brake fluid
or you'll end buying a new brake master cylinder...

lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 4th 04, 08:45 PM
MAT

> Buy one of those "speed bleeders" http://www.speedbleeder.com/ and even if
> you don't find the right size for your calipers it won't matter.

I keep meaning to get a set of these. Do they work exactly as advertised?
You're right about not having too many listed applications but I've emailed
with the guy and he's very agreeable to receiving stock bleed screws which
he will match accordingly and return. I plan on getting a pair (one front,
one rear) to send away next time I get some mail order parts. Unless
somebody already knows the right one for 7th gen. 2002 Si/Sir.

Old October 4th 04, 09:39 PM
Caroline

"MAT" > wrote
> > Buy one of those "speed bleeders" http://www.speedbleeder.com/ and even if
> > you don't find the right size for your calipers it won't matter.
> >

> I keep meaning to get a set of these. Do they work exactly as advertised?
> You're right about not having too many listed applications but I've emailed
> with the guy and he's very agreeable to receiving stock bleed screws which
> he will match accordingly and return. I plan on getting a pair (one front,
> one rear) to send away next time I get some mail order parts. Unless
> somebody already knows the right one for 7th gen. 2002 Si/Sir.

IIRC this past summer Pep Boys had speed bleeder valves that would have worked
on my 1991 Civic.

I didn't buy a set, after all, but instead bought a MityVac kit.

More importantly, if your brakes are sticking, for starters, I'd be looking at
the brake piston/cylinder having rust on them.

If you can change brake pads, then rebuilding the brakes is not too difficult.

Old October 11th 04, 11:20 AM
gsl

i just had a similar problem with my '93. my left front wheel was
getting real hot. replaced the caliper but the problem remained but
not as bad. replaced the flex hose yesterday and will find out today
if that fixed it.

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:39:22 GMT, "Caroline"

1993 honda civic rockinrobin Honda 6 October 3rd 04 06:48 PM
1990 Ramcharger Fuel problem? pennym Dodge 0 August 30th 04 12:20 AM