'98 Explorer V8 Spark Plug Replacement?

Old November 17th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steven Hilgendorf

Default '98 Explorer V8 Spark Plug Replacement?

You're right, I stand corrected. The new plug is just fully threaded
and does not seat further into the cylinder, just threads further into
the block.

I did change the plugs and the pricey wires (~$216.00), turns out
removing the wheels and fender apron flaps made the job easy, thanks for
the tip. The hardest part was routing the wires. It seems to be
running perfect, though it run fine before the maintenance too.

Thanks again,

Steven

Old November 17th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

oklaman wrote:
> somewhere I read (wish I could remember where) that double tip platinum's
> were not really any better than regular platinum's, just costs more.

The reason double platinums are used on some engines is because the the
ignition system fires the spark with a negative voltage on half of the
cylinders and a positive voltage on the others. If you used single
platinum plugs, you'd have to get two kinds of plugs and install them
in the correct cylinders.

The double platinums cost a little more, but allow you to use the same
plug in all cylinders.

So you're right- the double platinums are not "better" and do cost
more, but just make the job simpler.
-Paul

Old November 18th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
oklaman

thanks Paul. A very good answer.
> wrote in message
ups.com...

Old September 5th 17, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Dawn[_2_]

replying to Steven Hilgendorf, Dawn wrote:
Having trouble getting last plug out because heat shield

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/ford-expl...ent-17745-.htm