Adjust odometer/spedometer?

Old November 27th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

Default Adjust odometer/spedometer?

Is there any way to adjust the odometer or spedometer in an NB
Miata?

In my 2003 the odometer reads about 2.8% high, and the
speedometer reads about 7% high (with the OEM tires/wheels).

I think I'll put on slightly oversized snow tires this year.
That'll get me a little more ground clearance and a slightly
more accurate speedometer, but it would be nice if the odometer
and the speedometer were a little closer to being right to
start with.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Jesuit priests are
at DATING CAREER DIPLOMATS!!
Old November 28th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> Are the speedometer and odometer on a 1999-2005 Miata mechanical
> or electronic?

Yes.

Sorry, couldn't resist, should have tried harder.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old November 28th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

>> Is there any way to adjust the odometer or spedometer in an NB
>> Miata?
>>
>> In my 2003 the odometer reads about 2.8% high, and the
>> speedometer reads about 7% high (with the OEM tires/wheels).
>>
>> I think I'll put on slightly oversized snow tires this year.
>> That'll get me a little more ground clearance and a slightly
>> more accurate speedometer, but it would be nice if the odometer
>> and the speedometer were a little closer to being right to
>> start with.

> Are the speedometer and odometer on a 1999-2005 Miata mechanical or
> electronic?

The odo display is digitial (LCD), the speedo display is
mechanical. I don't know what the underlying stuff is
(spinning cable or opto-electronics).

--
Grant
Old November 28th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Grant Edwards > wrote:

>>> Is there any way to adjust the odometer or spedometer in an NB
>>> Miata?
>>>
>>> In my 2003 the odometer reads about 2.8% high, and the
>>> speedometer reads about 7% high (with the OEM tires/wheels).
>>>
>>> I think I'll put on slightly oversized snow tires this year.
>>> That'll get me a little more ground clearance and a slightly
>>> more accurate speedometer, but it would be nice if the odometer
>>> and the speedometer were a little closer to being right to start
>>> with.

>> Are the speedometer and odometer on a 1999-2005 Miata mechanical or
>> electronic?

> The odo display is digitial (LCD), the speedo display is
> mechanical. I don't know what the underlying stuff is
> (spinning cable or opto-electronics).

The point and the reason for the question is that if the drive is
mechanical the speedometer can be adjusted but the odometer cannot, if
the drive is electrical the odometer can be adjusted maybe, it depends
on the system used.

All one need do is raise the car (or lose 100lbs) and slide under, look
at the tranny. If there are wires coming from the speedometer drive
it's electrical, if a big cable it's mechanical. IF I remember right,
my NA has a mechanical drive and no adjustment to the odometer is
possible.

Old November 28th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst[_1_]

"XS11E" > wrote in message
. 184...

>>> Are the speedometer and odometer on a 1999-2005 Miata mechanical or
>>> electronic?

>> The odo display is digitial (LCD), the speedo display is
>> mechanical. I don't know what the underlying stuff is
>> (spinning cable or opto-electronics).

> The point and the reason for the question is that if the drive is
> mechanical the speedometer can be adjusted but the odometer cannot, if
> the drive is electrical the odometer can be adjusted maybe, it depends
> on the system used.
>
> All one need do is raise the car (or lose 100lbs) and slide under, look
> at the tranny. If there are wires coming from the speedometer drive
> it's electrical, if a big cable it's mechanical. IF I remember right,
> my NA has a mechanical drive and no adjustment to the odometer is
> possible.

The 1999 Miata has a mechanically driven pulse generator for both speedo and
OD.
There are small gear boxes, used mainly by taxis, cops and trucks, available
that alter the drive for both electric and cable driven speedos.

Old November 28th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-11-28, Chas Hurst > wrote:

>> All one need do is raise the car (or lose 100lbs) and slide
>> under, look at the tranny. If there are wires coming from the
>> speedometer drive it's electrical, if a big cable it's
>> mechanical. IF I remember right, my NA has a mechanical drive
>> and no adjustment to the odometer is possible.

> The 1999 Miata has a mechanically driven pulse generator for
> both speedo and OD. There are small gear boxes, used mainly by
> taxis, cops and trucks, available that alter the drive for
> both electric and cable driven speedos.

Are all Miata's off by that much. I'm not surprised the speedo
is off, but I expected the odometer to be accurate.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. Like I always
at say -- nothing can beat
Old November 28th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Grant Edwards > wrote:

> Are all Miata's off by that much. I'm not surprised the speedo
> is off, but I expected the odometer to be accurate.

I'll check mine if I remember (which is pretty unlikely, but I'll
try....)

Old November 28th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst[_1_]

"Grant Edwards" > wrote in message
> On 2007-11-28, Chas Hurst > wrote:
>
>>> All one need do is raise the car (or lose 100lbs) and slide
>>> under, look at the tranny. If there are wires coming from the
>>> speedometer drive it's electrical, if a big cable it's
>>> mechanical. IF I remember right, my NA has a mechanical drive
>>> and no adjustment to the odometer is possible.

>> The 1999 Miata has a mechanically driven pulse generator for
>> both speedo and OD. There are small gear boxes, used mainly by
>> taxis, cops and trucks, available that alter the drive for
>> both electric and cable driven speedos.

> Are all Miata's off by that much. I'm not surprised the speedo
> is off, but I expected the odometer to be accurate.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards

I know the speedo on my '99 is about 5% fast at 45mph. I haven't checked the
odometer.
With an electric speedo/odo there's really no excuse for that much
inaccuracy.

Old November 28th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-11-28, Chas Hurst > wrote:

> I know the speedo on my '99 is about 5% fast at 45mph. I
> haven't checked the odometer. With an electric speedo/odo
> there's really no excuse for that much inaccuracy.

I checked my parent's car a couple weeks ago, and it's speedo
was accurate to within 1mph all the way up to freeway speeds.
I'm a bit disappointed in Mazda's engineers for doing such
sloppy work.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I feel partially
at hydrogenated!
Old November 28th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

> > Are all Miata's off by that much. I'm not surprised the speedo
> > is off, but I expected the odometer to be accurate.

My '96 seems to read about 5mph high thru 50-75 range.

miker

clutch adjust. [email protected] 4x4 1 December 12th 06 09:26 PM
94 Voyager Won’t shift no spedometer bjsweet Chrysler 3 September 12th 06 07:27 PM
'95 Accord no spedometer... Darryl Honda 2 February 9th 06 09:46 PM
How do you adjust the AI in GEM+2? [email protected] Simulators 2 December 11th 05 04:02 PM
Spedometer/Odometer Problem...'92 Acclaim Natejb Dodge 1 June 29th 05 02:35 AM