Dumb spark plug question: Metric or not?

Old October 2nd 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Dumb spark plug question: Metric or not?

>Your socket is too large in diameter to fit down into the spark plug well
>far enough to engage the hex. You can grind the end of the socket a little
>smaller in diameter to make it fit.

But it fit OK in the other three cylinder holes
Old October 3rd 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
lgadbois

There may not be enough room to use a straight wrench extension. Try a
u-joint or flexible socket extension. My 11mm plug socket has an outside
diameter of 21.5mm. It's hard to believe that the opening around the plug is
smaller than 25mm.

Old October 3rd 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst[_1_]

> wrote in message
> >Your socket is too large in diameter to fit down into the spark plug well
>>far enough to engage the hex. You can grind the end of the socket a little
>>smaller in diameter to make it fit.

> But it fit OK in the other three cylinder holes

3 out 4 of isn't bad.
Maybe a piece of the connector is stuck on the plug, look down in there with
a CSI lite.

Old October 8th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

Chas Hurst wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>> Your socket is too large in diameter to fit down into the spark plug well
>>> far enough to engage the hex. You can grind the end of the socket a little
>>> smaller in diameter to make it fit.

>> But it fit OK in the other three cylinder holes

> 3 out 4 of isn't bad.
> Maybe a piece of the connector is stuck on the plug, look down in there with
> a CSI lite.

Apologies for this not threading properly; my newsreader has purged the
older posts.

Pic of NGK BKR6EIX spark plug removed from 1997 NA (BP 1839cc engine,
standard tune). Don't worry - the centre electrode - the iridium one -
is supposed to look like that. Just to show it's in good condition and
the right plug for the engine.

http://www.peeble.com/car/plug1.jpg

Pic of above spark plug in 10mm (British terminology) spark plug socket:

http://www.peeble.com/car/plug2.jpg

Pic of spark plug showing model number:

http://www.peeble.com/car/plug3.jpg

Pic of calipers showing both plug and socket are 16mm across flats:

http://www.peeble.com/car/plug4.jpg

Close-up of caliper measurement:

http://www.peeble.com/car/plug5.jpg

They're good plugs; the service life is probably 50,000 miles or more
and there is a tiny improvement in miles per gallon. It's best to take
them out occasionally to ensure they don't get seized, as 10 years
installed in a low-mileage engine might be pushing your luck.
Old October 8th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst[_1_]

"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> Chas Hurst wrote:
>>> But it fit OK in the other three cylinder holes

>> 3 out 4 of isn't bad.
>> Maybe a piece of the connector is stuck on the plug, look down in there
>> with a CSI lite.

> Apologies for this not threading properly; my newsreader has purged the
> older posts.
>
> Pic of NGK BKR6EIX spark plug removed from 1997 NA (BP 1839cc engine,
> standard tune). Don't worry - the centre electrode - the iridium one - is
> supposed to look like that. Just to show it's in good condition and the
> right plug for the engine.
>
> http://www.peeble.com/car/plug1.jpg
>
> Pic of above spark plug in 10mm (British terminology) spark plug socket:
>
> http://www.peeble.com/car/plug2.jpg
>
> Pic of spark plug showing model number:
>
> http://www.peeble.com/car/plug3.jpg
>
> Pic of calipers showing both plug and socket are 16mm across flats:
>
> http://www.peeble.com/car/plug4.jpg
>
> Close-up of caliper measurement:
>
> http://www.peeble.com/car/plug5.jpg

Well thanks, but the question remains unanswered. That question being "What
feature of the subject spark plug corresponds to 10mm?"
The thread size of the BKR6 spark plug is 14mm.

Here's what you previously wrote.

Old October 8th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

Chas Hurst wrote:

> Well thanks, but the question remains unanswered. That question being "What
> feature of the subject spark plug corresponds to 10mm?"
> The thread size of the BKR6 spark plug is 14mm.
>
> Here's what you previously wrote.
>
>> Spark plug spanners (and *only* spark plug spanners) are sized by the
>> thread major diameter here. A bit of Googling suggests the rest of Europe
>> uses the actual across-flats measurement, so maybe the US does the same.
>> You learn something new every day!

My only guess is that the BKR6xx plugs have a non-standard
thread-to-flats relationship. Normally 16mm across flats would indicate
a 10mm thread, but here it obviously doesn't. At the end of the day I
have all three common plug socket sizes, so it doesn't matter.
Old October 8th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst[_1_]

"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> Chas Hurst wrote:
>
>> Well thanks, but the question remains unanswered. That question being
>> "What feature of the subject spark plug corresponds to 10mm?"
>> The thread size of the BKR6 spark plug is 14mm.
>>
>> Here's what you previously wrote.
>>
>>> Spark plug spanners (and *only* spark plug spanners) are sized by the
>>> thread major diameter here. A bit of Googling suggests the rest of
>>> Europe uses the actual across-flats measurement, so maybe the US does
>>> the same. You learn something new every day!

To the above statement. Whitworth and British Standard wrenches and sockets
are sized by thread diameter. This is likely a rather clumsy carry-over to
spark plug sockets.
16mm or 5/8 has been a standard hex size for 14mm threads for decades. I
have no knowledge of a 10mm thread sparkplug being used in a Mazda. Most
10mm plugs are found in motorcycles.

Old October 9th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

Chas Hurst wrote:

> To the above statement. Whitworth and British Standard wrenches and sockets
> are sized by thread diameter. This is likely a rather clumsy carry-over to
> spark plug sockets.
> 16mm or 5/8 has been a standard hex size for 14mm threads for decades. I
> have no knowledge of a 10mm thread sparkplug being used in a Mazda. Most
> 10mm plugs are found in motorcycles.

It's strange you should say that; I bought those iridium plugs from a
motorcycle dealer.