Dumb spark plug question: Metric or not?

Old September 24th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst[_1_]

Default Dumb spark plug question: Metric or not?

"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> Chas Hurst wrote:
>
>> Spark plug sockets are dimensioned like every other socket-acroos the
>> flats.
>> What dimension does the 10mm you posted correspond to? The threads on a
>> Miata plug are 14mm.

> It must be a weird British convention then:
>
> http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/p...ance_tools.htm
>
> Spark plug spanners (and *only* spark plug spanners) are sized by the
> thread major diameter here. A bit of Googling suggests the rest of Europe
> uses the actual across-flats measurement, so maybe the US does the same.
> You learn something new every day!
>
> I can always post a picture of one of my car's NGK BKR6E11-IX plugs
> sitting in a "10mm" socket...

The link you posted has spark plug sockets listed by hex size across the
flats, exactly as on this side of the pond.
There are 14mm thread spark plugs with either 16mm or 21mm hex sizes. How do
you handle that?
You seem to be stuck in the old Whitworth system where the wrench size DID
correspond (somewhat) to the thread size.
As this is not a binaries group, you would need to post the picture on such
a group. Please do so if you can.

Old September 24th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst[_1_]

"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> Chas Hurst wrote:
>
>> Spark plug sockets are dimensioned like every other socket-acroos the
>> flats.
>> What dimension does the 10mm you posted correspond to? The threads on a
>> Miata plug are 14mm.

> It must be a weird British convention then:
>
> http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/p...ance_tools.htm
>
> Spark plug spanners (and *only* spark plug spanners) are sized by the
> thread major diameter here. A bit of Googling suggests the rest of Europe
> uses the actual across-flats measurement, so maybe the US does the same.
> You learn something new every day!
>
> I can always post a picture of one of my car's NGK BKR6E11-IX plugs
> sitting in a "10mm" socket...

I'll ask again, what dimension does 10mm correspond to? The BKR6E11 plug has
a 16mm hex and 14mm thread. Where, how, does 10mm figure in?

Old September 25th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Now that, I would like to see. 10mm ? What is the gap on that plug ?
:-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old September 25th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

Dyno wrote:

> This comes from their partnumberkey.pdf file available on NGK's website.
> Where did you get the 10 mm number from?

It's definitely a "10mm" spark plug socket with 16mm across flats, as
per the link I posted. Do I really have to pull out a plug and
photograph it in the socket?

The socket I use is engraved "Socket for Spark Plug 10mm". The
continental Europeans would call it a 16mm spark plug socket (more
sensibly).

I think spark plug sizing is just one of those things which gets lost in
transatlantic convention, like "hood", "boot" and "rocker".
Old September 26th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst[_1_]

"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> Dyno wrote:
>
>> This comes from their partnumberkey.pdf file available on NGK's website.
>> Where did you get the 10 mm number from?

> It's definitely a "10mm" spark plug socket with 16mm across flats, as per
> the link I posted. Do I really have to pull out a plug and photograph it
> in the socket?
>
> The socket I use is engraved "Socket for Spark Plug 10mm". The
> continental Europeans would call it a 16mm spark plug socket (more
> sensibly).
>
> I think spark plug sizing is just one of those things which gets lost in
> transatlantic convention, like "hood", "boot" and "rocker".

If you want to convince me and others, yes, you will need to post photos of
the plug and socket.

Old September 28th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

Chas Hurst wrote:
> "Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
>> Dyno wrote:
>>
>>> This comes from their partnumberkey.pdf file available on NGK's website.
>>> Where did you get the 10 mm number from?

>> It's definitely a "10mm" spark plug socket with 16mm across flats, as per
>> the link I posted. Do I really have to pull out a plug and photograph it
>> in the socket?
>>
>> The socket I use is engraved "Socket for Spark Plug 10mm". The
>> continental Europeans would call it a 16mm spark plug socket (more
>> sensibly).
>>
>> I think spark plug sizing is just one of those things which gets lost in
>> transatlantic convention, like "hood", "boot" and "rocker".

> If you want to convince me and others, yes, you will need to post photos of
> the plug and socket.

Will do next week - I'm away for a long weekend.
Old October 2nd 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

>Have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES.... built in Japan.
>
>I'm going to attempt to change the spark plugs myself
>but have no idea if the actual plugs themselves in this
>vehicle require a metric wrench!
>
>If one buys say Autolite or whatever plugs.... is the
>hex head on them metric as well and therefore requires
>a metric spark plug wrench?

OK I cant get one of the plugs OUT of my car!

Feels like the socket wont seat on the plug correct.

What now? Advice?
Old October 2nd 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
lgadbois

Remove the little rubber inside the socket. Fit the socket on the plug by
hand so that you can feel it slide into place. If the plug has corroded in
place, you will need to use a piece of pipe as a handle extender on your
wrench. Make sure you are attempting to turn the plug counterclockwise. The
plug will come out!

Old October 2nd 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

>Remove the little rubber inside the socket. Fit the socket on the plug by
>hand so that you can feel it slide into place. If the plug has corroded in
>place, you will need to use a piece of pipe as a handle extender on your
>wrench. Make sure you are attempting to turn the plug counterclockwise. The
>plug will come out!

Done the above but still no go

My plugs are in a recessed hole abt 6 inches deep

I'm wondering if there is some kind of "crud" down
there say wedged in between top of plug and sides of
hole that is blocking the wrench form seating on the
plug.

Just seems like no matter what I do I cant get the
wrench to 'seat" on the hex head of the plug!
Old October 2nd 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst[_1_]

> wrote in message
> >Remove the little rubber inside the socket. Fit the socket on the plug by
>>hand so that you can feel it slide into place. If the plug has corroded in
>>place, you will need to use a piece of pipe as a handle extender on your
>>wrench. Make sure you are attempting to turn the plug counterclockwise.
>>The
>>plug will come out!

> Done the above but still no go
>
> My plugs are in a recessed hole abt 6 inches deep
>
> I'm wondering if there is some kind of "crud" down
> there say wedged in between top of plug and sides of
> hole that is blocking the wrench form seating on the
> plug.
>
> Just seems like no matter what I do I cant get the
> wrench to 'seat" on the hex head of the plug!

Your socket is too large in diameter to fit down into the spark plug well
far enough to engage the hex. You can grind the end of the socket a little
smaller in diameter to make it fit.