UK Explorer overdrive warning light flashing

Old November 27th 05, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default UK Explorer overdrive warning light flashing

Hi,
Ford UK dont want to know Explorers. So I'll ask the people who are sure to
know.
97 Explorer 4liter. 125,000 miles. Just ordered a prelube kit from
California. Stop it from self destruct. Usually over here about 80-100,000
timing chain destroys hydraulic adjuster, metal bits kill the oil pump and
the engine. Engines are difficult to find and pricey in UK.

Overdrive warning light has started flashing today. Wont hold 5th gear? No
noises. No overheating . No shortage of any fluids or oils. Any ideas out
there where to look first.

thanks
Ian Lowrie

Old November 28th 05, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Ian Lowrie wrote:
> Hi,
> Ford UK dont want to know Explorers. So I'll ask the people who are sure to
> know.
> 97 Explorer 4liter. 125,000 miles. Just ordered a prelube kit from
> California. Stop it from self destruct. Usually over here about 80-100,000
> timing chain destroys hydraulic adjuster, metal bits kill the oil pump and
> the engine. Engines are difficult to find and pricey in UK.
>
> Overdrive warning light has started flashing today. Wont hold 5th gear? No
> noises. No overheating . No shortage of any fluids or oils. Any ideas out
> there where to look first.
>
> thanks
> Ian Lowrie

On the 97 SOHC, the PCV valve is located dead center, behind the IAC
valve. It's a bear to get at. The top of the PCV valve has a "T"
fitting that has tubing to each side of the engine. The bottom fits in
a piece of tubing. I recommend that you use a small clamp to hold the
PCV valve onto the tubing.
I recently replaced the IAC valve due to rough idle and stalling.
Advance had the valve but it was not the correct part. If after
cleaning the valve, if you still have problems, take the part with you
to match up the replacement. When looking from the front of the
vehicle, my Explorer had the electrical connector pointed toward the
driver side, not up.
I had to go to NAPA to get the correct part. You could probably get the
part number from the NAPA site and then go to Advance. I priced the
valva at Autozone and they were much higher than either NAPA or Advance.

Ron
Munroe Falls, Ohio

Flashing 4X4 wheel dash light help.... Hank Technology 10 November 18th 05 12:26 AM
ABS Warning Light TCCdestroy Audi 2 July 7th 05 07:20 PM
1999 Explorer - theft light flashes xxx Ford Explorer 2 July 7th 05 12:20 AM
Warning light Stuart Alfa Romeo 7 July 1st 05 09:35 PM
break warning light Vivian Rosser BMW 8 June 18th 05 02:20 AM