Wipers?

Old February 16th 05, 04:17 AM
Glenn

Default Wipers?

Thanks to all who replied to my post about a 97 Jetta TD. I passed on
it as it was about 4K overpriced!

On one of the worst days of the year for rain, the wipers on my 93 Golf
decided to pack it in. They move really slow on the slower speeds, but
as soon as I put them to high, the fuse (20A) blows. The wiper motor is
making a pretty loud "noise", and the wipers moving really slowly. I
took apart the mantle covering the mechanisms and took a look, and all
seemed fine, aside from the motor noise.

Does it sound like a motor that needs replacing? Is is as simple as it
looks like it should be?

Thanks,
Glenn

Old February 16th 05, 07:06 AM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Glenn wrote:

>On one of the worst days of the year for rain, the wipers on my 93 Golf
>decided to pack it in. They move really slow on the slower speeds, but
>as soon as I put them to high, the fuse (20A) blows. The wiper motor is
>making a pretty loud "noise", and the wipers moving really slowly. I
>took apart the mantle covering the mechanisms and took a look, and all
>seemed fine, aside from the motor noise.
>
>Does it sound like a motor that needs replacing? Is is as simple as it
>looks like it should be?

You might find you need a motor, but I would try oiling what I
could.

Old February 16th 05, 11:54 AM
transfixed

Glenn wrote:

> Thanks to all who replied to my post about a 97 Jetta TD. I passed on
> it as it was about 4K overpriced!
>
> On one of the worst days of the year for rain, the wipers on my 93 Golf
> decided to pack it in. They move really slow on the slower speeds, but
> as soon as I put them to high, the fuse (20A) blows. The wiper motor is
> making a pretty loud "noise", and the wipers moving really slowly. I
> took apart the mantle covering the mechanisms and took a look, and all
> seemed fine, aside from the motor noise.
>
> Does it sound like a motor that needs replacing? Is is as simple as it
> looks like it should be?
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn

Funy you should say that. The wipers on my 93 Golf just pooped out,
too. Fuse blown, new fuse blows as well. Not sure that oil will do.
Anyone with experience on these wiper motors?

Old February 16th 05, 11:56 AM
Woodchuck

1- remove the wiper arms from the motor shaft and see if the wiper arms move
easy
2- see if motor still runs slow with wiper arms removed.

my moneies on the wiper mechanism assembly

oups.com...

Old February 16th 05, 01:07 PM
Mike Robinson

I had this problem, i'm not sure what they are called, but the two "knobs"
that the actual wiper arms bolt to started to seize.
I was unable to disassemble them to repack with grease, only cost $100 for a
whole new setup, sans motor.

.. .

Old February 16th 05, 02:24 PM
Glenn

With the wipers off, things still run slow, with the motor making a
pretty bad labouring noise. The noise sounds like a fuel pump that is
about to pack it in.

Has anyone replaced one of those motors?

Old February 16th 05, 10:20 PM
Woodchuck

Do you mean you have the wiper linkage disconnected from the motor?

oups.com...

Old February 17th 05, 01:59 AM

We have a 2001 Jetta GLS w/over 90k miles on it. Wipers were moving
real slow. It was suggested on this forum to check the wipers by
removing a plastic cover (about the size of a large washer) from where
the wiper arm meets the gear or bolt that rotates and turns the arm
back and forth. I sprayed it with alot of CB blaster and now they work
great. Took a few days to get the arms off (was told to rock them
where I sprayed the CB blaser and eventually they came off) but even
before I got them off, they really were back to normal.

Good luck,
Dermott

Old February 18th 05, 04:50 AM
Glenn

Thanks to all who helped out with this.

I go the linkage off the motor, motor was still making bad noises.
Picked one up my local import parts store for $70 CDN, changed it
tonight, and the wipers work like a charm.

I did make one rookie mistake and when I put the linkage back on the
motor when they were in the up position when the motor was wanting to
be in the down position. Had to take the whole thing apart and change
the position since I didn't really want the off position to leave the
wipers a in the middle of the windshield.

Other than that, all went well. It took about an hour and a half from
start to finish

One a related note, my back wiper doesn't work easier. Seems the only
option back there is to replace the whole unit?

Thanks,
Glenn